Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

marigold
      Spectator

Let me ask you, my dear Smashing Pumpkins friends… What is the use of a header like \"Billy Corgan Will “Piss On Fucking Radiohead”\" and in the interview Billy actually said:

\"I can’t think of any people outside of Weird Al Yankovic who have both embraced and pissed on Rock more than I have. Obviously there’s a level of reverence, but there’s also a level of intelligence to even know what to piss on. ‘Cause I’m not pissing on Rainbow. I’m not pissing on Deep Purple. But I’ll piss on fuckin’ Radiohead, because of all this pomposity. This value system that says Jonny Greenwood is more valuable than Ritchie Blackmore. Not in the world I grew up in, buddy. Not in the world I grew up in.

So I find myself defending things. Is Ritchie Blackmore a better guitar player than me and Jonny Greenwood? Yes. Have we all made contributions? Yes. I’m not attacking that. I’m attacking the pomposity that says this is more valuable than that. I’m sick of that. I’m so fucking sick of it, and nobody seems to tire of it.\"

Judge for yourselves, but I’m not seeing professional journalism here… :evil:

http://stereogum.com/1062011/billy-corg … -the-beef/

Billy is planning some actions already, I heard.

marigold
      Spectator

Journalism: always need an attention grabbing headline and it doesn’t matter if the story as a whole doesn’t match – they took the quote out directly from what he said at least. I’ve seen articles that don’t even relate to the headings…. :roll:
      I studied journalism for a bit and gave up as I didn’t want to be a part of that media world. They distort the truth and often show only one side of the story.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

there is another interview out now (i think in NME) where he calls james iha a piece of shit and jimmy a fucking liar. in the same interview, he talks about how lucid courtney love was back in the 90s and that she essentially convinced him to be the anti-hero of rock, as all other archetypes were filled (i’m paraphrasing).

i finally realized the tie in to wrestling. everyone loves to hate a bad guy, and that is what he has made himself into. the thing to realize, is, he is only a character. we may never really know who billy corgan the person is. i imagine he’s a very interesting, intelligent person. he sure has a lot of balls to put up with the amount of shit thrown his way his entire career. there is, however, something a little fake about inventing a character to display and channel your music/band through. it seems artificial. a little pointless and dare i say immature.

but at least, at the VERY least, he has always stood for something. the one thing he stands for, to me, is making quality music. i’m not convinced he’s pushing anything radical forward anymore. apparently there is a new genre called dubstep that everyone likes to namedrop. whatever. but when i put on a sp record, it resonates with me, as many other bands and records and songs do. it’s just that with him, almost 100% of it resonates.

i’m that way with phil collins, white stripes, earlyish deftones, muse, all american rejects, and radiohead. probably some more in there, but those are the cool ones i always come back to. in my 6 CD changer in my car, i have 5 of those artists now.

marigold
      Spectator

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/168783 … rgan.jhtml

\"Look, if anybody wants any insight into my real character, I’m willing to play the fool, to point out where things are foolish. For example, addressing the Radiohead quote, where the quote was ‘I’ll piss on Radiohead.’ The context of the quote was saying ‘I’m willing to poke fun at something because there’s so much pomposity around it that it’s treated as reverent and holy,’ \" Corgan told MTV News. \"So what ends up happening? The quote ends up getting picked up, which shows [people think] ‘How dare anybody criticize the band that’s un-criticizable?’ And that’s really funny; why is a band un-criticizable? I’m an artist who it is apparently OK to criticize, and I’ve made a career out of playing with that criticism and subverting it.[/quote:2jr4fq7l]

manillascissor
      Keymaster

they are pissing on concrete

jupiter
      Spectator

does that mean (in journalism terms) that they are pissing on hard rock?

Arthur
      Spectator

does that mean (in journalism terms) that they are pissing on hard rock?[/quote:ewtqgsdt]
      :lol:

marigold
      Spectator

:lol: good one

Viewing 7 reply threads

The forum ‘General’ is closed to new topics and replies.