Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author

manillascissor
      Spectator

someone on netphoria pointed this ebay auction out: http://www.ebay.com/itm/200693048757

manillascissor
      Keymaster

I assume the initials match up

Spaceboye
      Spectator

Three times a week I sift through around 15 pages of ebay items with 200 items on each page that contain the key words \"Smashing Pumpkins\". I collect record awards… especially pumpkins ones. The fact that I did not see this and that it only went for $100 makes me feel physically sick. I would have paid 3X that… easy.

Sauli
      Spectator

I don’t think it went for 100 dollars. Auction was cancelled by seller

\"This listing was ended by the seller because the item was sold\"

Spaceboye
      Spectator

You are correct. The buyer said that he offered the seller a sum outside of ebay and it was accepted. Its very possible that this item was only up for a few hours.

Tiger25
      Spectator

Long time reader of this site and decided to finally create an account and be part of the conversation. I am the one who won this on ebay. I collect awards and walls full of awards and rare/signed SP memorabilia. I found this award on ebay probably a few hours after it was listed and emailed the seller telling them I really want the item and asked if they had considered a Buy It Now and also if not, I asked them to please not end the auction early if offered a sum of money (years ago a Pisces award auction was ended early and I have never seen one since). They replied back with a price if I wanted it and I jumped at the chance. I paid $350 and to be honest I would have paid much more for it.
      I am out of the country for work right now, but can upload better pics of it is interested.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

So, since Zeitgeist was never pressed on vinyl, what record is in the award? What record is in ANY award for that matter. I did a little research, looks like vinyl typically is not used anymore at all. It’s basically nickel (platinum) or also nickel painted gold (gold). Any thoughts as to what record is actually on display here?

could be any record.
      like you said, i don’t think they ever use a record that matches the album they’re awarding.

Sven
      Spectator

could be any record.
      like you said, i don’t think they ever use a record that matches the album they’re awarding.[/quote:1un0wej0]

there has never been a vinyl cut for Zeitgeist.
      not only because the label didn’t want to make one, but also because it was an even worse job to cut a master than MACHINA / The Machines of God.

it would be funny to find out what record is inside this award :)

Spaceboye
      Spectator

I collect those kinds of awards and have even made a few. The record in the display isn’t the actual record of the artist. You can buy a gold or platinum record that has been prepared for display purposes.

http://www.goldrecord.com/unmounted_records.html

manillascissor
      Keymaster

I know, but whatever that record is, it still plays something. I’m just curious what it is. Check out this guy’s story. Pretty funny. :lol:

http://www.kempa.com/2005/08/24/playing … um-record/

Tiger25
      Spectator

I always assumed that the records on the RIAA awards were just a mold and meant to be a visual symbol of the record. It never would have crossed my mind as to what record was actually on the display.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

yes, i think spaceboye’s point is, um, on point. meaning, it’s all about the display. they even say on their site that it’s about visuals more than acoustics, but that they do press sound into the metal. which isn’t saying much at all. edison did it with tin foil, but even he was able to play back mary had a little lamb. pretty impressive, really.

so if they are pressing sound into the metal, even if it’s complete nonsense or ambient noises or just scratches, it would still be interesting to hear some of these later records.

i get the sense that before this company started mass producing \"gold and platinum records\", they did use actual metal masters or whatever and maybe even vinyl in the earliest stages. but those could be completely arbitrary as well, even as recent as 1999, as provided in my example above.

whatever, we’ll never know, it’s just a curious thought…

Viewing 12 reply threads

The forum ‘Collecting Items’ is closed to new topics and replies.