Viewing 26 reply threads
  • Author

Marcella
      Keymaster

So, what a long day. I’ve been up since 3PM on Tuesday afternoon. Get done with work on Wednesday around 12:30. I decide to take a tiny nap before going to the show. My son gets home from school around 3:00, and I wake up and we get ready to go. We arrive in Knoxville around 4:00 and attempt to scout Billy or Jimmy walking the streets. No such luck. :( We meet a guy from Canada, Rob, who has been to the last two shows in August. This will be his third in like 5 days or something. Wow! Anyway, after hanging around the tour buses for 15 minutes or so, we decide to get something to eat. Rob goes one way, we go the other.

Fast forward to entering venue at 7:00. We meet up with Rob again. He proceeds to tell us how he ran into none other than Billy Corgan earlier that day. When he went right and we went left!!! I’m happy for him and pissed at the same time. He got a speeding citation that day and had Billy sign it. \"Guilty!!!, Billy\".

We head into the venue and ushers show us to our seats. Oddly enough, Rob is 5 seats away, same row. Even more strange, is the Tennessee Theater has seats dedicated to people that have contributed to it in the past. The names appear on little brass plaques set into the arms of the seats. What name should appear on mine? None other than Arthur. So I couldn’t help but feel Arthur was there as well, as least in spirit.

Lights down, audience up. Some weird ass funky intro instrumental plays for about 5 minutes. Never heard before, but it gets everyone excited. As always, the 6’4\" silhouette of Billy moves center stage. The band blasts into Tarantula, one of my fav Zeitgeist songs!! Next, G.L.O.W. is revealed. I kept from listening to this song prior to the show, to enjoy the surprise. It was a nice treat. Nice bass from Ginger.

Siva!! Even includes the pre-1991 intro!! I can’t help but notice at this point that Billy’s vocals are, for once, right on point. It really sounds like he has taken lessons or at least worked very hard on his singing. Eye is played, not as good live, as the deep bass is never achieved. Mayonaise is next. Billy does the entire intro by himself – I always thought Billy and James played this together. Nice groover.

Tonight, Tonight. Again, noticeably awesome vocals. Speed Kills. This was a treat.

Transformer. Played as a funky jam. Billy is on his back at one point, rolling around on the floor, and jamming next to Jeff, Aerosmith style. Even dancing a bit. Funky surprise, but overall, kinda flaky.

Enter Superchist. Not much I can say hear, this song live absolutely destroys. I was completely in a trance and remember goosebumps. Through feedback, the band goes straight into United States. The eerie solo in the middle has Billy playing the guitar with his teeth!! Everyone in the place goes apeshit.

Next, the roadies quickly set up a little acoustic stage and the band opens with Once Upon a Time. Great version. The Crux and Rose March are played. Very enjoyable to sit and just listen to the laid back vibe, with the psychedelic backdrop colors.

Billy has a little ranting moment. Asking if we were sick of mainstream rock yet. Sick of American Idol? Says he’s always said the Pumpkins were the \"band of the apocolypse\" and that this was finally coming to fruition. Which I enjoy, as most people don’t understand the literal meaning of the word apocolypse. Then he states the Pumpkins aren’t going fucking anywhere as the band opens into Today. Again, the crowd goes insane. I note the song actually sounds like it is being played with some semblence of emotion, which is very surprising to me. It sounds great.

Bullet with Butterfly Wings!! Crowd happy, I write down \"fuck this\" and tune out.

Then, the best song of the night – The Beginning is the End is the Beginning. Billy is sans guitar, just walking around the stage, in his cryptogait, hands flailing in time with Jimmy’s beat. His vocals, again!! Mesmerizing, making me really appreciate this song in another light. It was truly amazing.

Extended HMM. Kinda cool, hard to follow, never a huge fan of this song. Wish the band would just let this one die. But Billy pointed to himself at one point, saying \"I’m your fucking heavy metal machine\". I guess saying that he was gonna rock out like a robot forever. That was cool.

Glass’ Theme. Amazing. Love this song.

Lastly, Set the Controls… (Pink Floyd). I’m not familiar with this song, so I just sit down and close my eyes to listen, as my son is already asleep anyway. I look over and a middle aged man is losing his mind. He’s the only one around who is familiar with the song and is bouncing up and down, singing the words. I do completely enjoy the song though. Very laid back towards the end. Billy essentially put the audience to sleep. After about 20 minutes, the song ends with Billy’s guitar sitting next to the amp, just reverberating the same distorted feedback. Was great. Exit band.

Encore – We only come out at night, complete with kazoos? Very strange, but every member is on vocals and plays a little kazoo solo. The audience completely digs it. It comes close to being very hokey, but somehow, it works. After the rest of the band has left the stage, Billy enters the crowd, giving high fives to a few lucky souls. He then bows and exits the stage.

My son and I are already on our way to the tour buses!! See other thread.

So for me, the concert was a redemption. An investment into my soul, to keep going to see the band live. They brought back the emotion. They played two \"hits\". I can live with this. It may end up being the best show of theirs I’ll ever get to see, so I’m thankful for that. I hope the band continues to play setlists like this. Not for diehards, not for anyone else, but just pulling special songs from each era and giving them recharged life again. Their back catalogue is so deep, they could do this for the next 10 years and I’d go to every show.

jerk, i was all excited to read it. i will check back later.

Anonymous
      Spectator

dang…me too
      thanks Manilla

manillascissor
      Keymaster

Knoxville – SOLD OUT!

great pics, love the cool sunglasses look.

and that is a great pic of billy. he has great teeth, and i love jimmy’s shirt.

blueczarina
      Spectator

great pics manilla :)

Anonymous
      Spectator

great pics
      and Billy is smiling :)

Arthur
      Spectator

Yup, agree, great pics. And finally the real manillascissor too… :wink:

amnesia
      Spectator

Damn great pictures!! His so cute the little Corgan :wink:

Anonymous
      Spectator

everyone of posting pics of themselves up here..lol
      i never have any decent one to put up without me looking like fruit loop..lol
      but you can see my pics on myspace-well the very few of me on there…
      I have a really funny one that I should post up here..lol
      well it has a smart ass comment on it..
      which one am i or something like that

Marcella
      Spectator

Great pics, Corgan is so cool, and his daddy is awesome too 8). And Billy and Jimmy, they look great, you’ve got some good shots. Still anxious to read the review!

Anonymous
      Spectator

Hey Manilla where’s that review? Must be good..
      The guy (standing w/ beer) behind you in the photo has a really creepy shaped head from his cul de sac and rest of hair just sittin there. Why don’t guys get the cul de sac shaved bald llike Billy? Is hair that serious?

i found this while looking for ghostchilds vids, it is the kazoo parts

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbCn11nL9ps[/youtube]

amnesia
      Spectator

i found this while looking for ghostchilds vids, it is the kazoo parts

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbCn11nL9ps[/youtube][/quote:1y9qvv80]

Great find Bullet, thats an awesome vid.We only come out at night/Summertime was awesome.Looked like they all had fun, i think it was very funny to watch as well and i so want those 2 tracks on my PC.Is there not a alternative way to download from Youtube ?

amnesia
      Spectator

I found this converter so you can actually download from Youtube to your pc.It converts to any format.Xvid to Mp3 format. But the thing is, i find this convert to be slowass fucker, but it works barely. :wink:

http://vixy.net/

oh man i got excited for a minute thinking it was gonna work really good, cause there are alot of you tubes that i would like to have.

well i might try it and see, but my husband does not really like me to download things, so i have to say it is from arthur, cause he doesn’t care if it is from him. why i don’t know, but he is just strange that way. my husband, not arthur.

amnesia
      Spectator

oh man i got excited for a minute thinking it was gonna work really good, cause there are alot of you tubes that i would like to have.

well i might try it and see, but my husband does not really like me to download things, so i have to say it is from arthur, cause he doesn’t care if it is from him. why i don’t know, but he is just strange that way. my husband, not arthur.[/quote:3l1u5u6x]

Buy your own pc then :P

I got the converter to work, but after a while it stops, maybe it will start up again , probo there i a lot of trafic going on there, i dunno :?

wanna lend me the money for one???? :wink:

otherwise i am stuck.

well if it goes good for you let me know. i will dl it and try.

amnesia
      Spectator

wanna lend me the money for one???? :wink:

otherwise i am stuck.

well if it goes good for you let me know. i will dl it and try.[/quote:ym6vlmic]

You dont need to download the conveter, it works on-line, only thing is the Youtube file will go through that converter and when done, you can download the specific file you wanted. :wink:

ahh, so did it work for you?

Marcella
      Spectator

Sometimes it works, others it don’t. I use it all the time, you just have to try.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

Review posted, finally!!!!

Hey guys, use anjo.to

It works better than vixy.net

Anonymous
      Spectator

Well that was a good review.
      I thought the same ting about this being there best show. Set the controls rocked. Didn’t yo grow up listening to Floyd?
      Glad you felt the same as I did on BWBW. I feel like I am listening to the radio playing mainstream music when I hear that song.
      Kick ass review Manilla-

oh and the Arthur in spirit things-whoa how neat is that!!!

Arthur
      Spectator

So I couldn’t help but feel Arthur was there as well, as least in spirit.[/quote:2sj6cwsb]
      Sooooo sweet! :oops:

Good & personal review manillascissor. Glad you liked the show. To be honest I was hoping already that this one would be more to your likings, compared to the one you went to last year. Nice!

blueczarina
      Spectator

nice review manilla :)

Marcella
      Spectator

It sounded awesome, I wish I could’ve listened to all of those songs live, especially Siva, The Beginning Is The End Is The Beginning and Glass’ Theme.

Glad you liked it!

Viewing 26 reply threads

The forum ‘Touring & Concert’ is closed to new topics and replies.