Viewing 21 reply threads
  • Author

Arthur
      Spectator

I dunno, maybe its just me, but i thought bootlegs were not worth anything. Especially at this price. Can someone with more experience provide some input?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi … 0294655885

blueczarina
      Spectator

its probably because those boots kick ass. plus some people like myself think boots are cool and like to collect them, so they are willing to pay stupid-assed amounts of money to get them. :oops: :wink:

Anonymous
      Spectator

In my past experience and imho, that’s a decent price for the three.

Obviously, they’re only ‘worth’ what someone’s willing to pay…

I’ve paid considerably more for just one before, so at $72.15, I’d have bought them happily.

Nice items. :)

Anonymous
      Spectator

its probably because those boots kick ass. plus some people like myself think boots are cool and like to collect them, so they are willing to pay stupid-assed amounts of money to get them. :oops: :wink:[/quote:2x1n173a]

Ah, so that’s why I kept losing when I was "An eBay Man." :wink:

Pit Boss
      Spectator

But bootlegs can be put on the internet for free right? So you are really just paying for a hard copy for a bootleg show.

Anonymous
      Spectator

Often that’s the case, but some have official tracks on, or exclusive artwork and so on, etc., blah – blah.

Most people enjoy the whole package, as you say though, -technically- they can just be downloaded as Torrents or whichever.

B-A-T-Sun happens to be one of my favourites, if I wasn’t broke I’d probably want that one listed too. :P

Danni
      Spectator

And then we have the bad quality and cheap booties who differs a lot from the more \"expensive\" ones.
      I would not give $72 US for three of those Is my feeling.

But I remember being like fourteen- fifteen and buying SP booties for a huge ammount of money , but I wouldn’t do that today. Much of that shit is already up on the internet so practically you’re only paying for the physical material.

blueczarina
      Spectator

yeah, i know they can be downloaded, but personally i like physical copies of things. that’s why i like boots. plus i like the packaging. i like art and graphic design and some are pretty cool looking.

if i’m going to buy one though i always look it up on the spfc bootlist, or Ognetty’s boot list, or wherever though because i don’t want to pay an insane amount for crap. :wink:

just because it’s a silver bootleg doesn’t mean it’s better quality. very often, the makers of these bootlegs don’t care about quality. all they want to do is make money. a lot of these bootleg cds sound worse than what is available for free online. (note that not all online bootlegs are sourced from these kind of cds!)

and in 99% of the cases the artwork is awful too.

in short, i’m not spending one cent on those.

Pit Boss
      Spectator

The art is cool on some of the bootlegs. I dont think I was being clear before. What I meant to say was that they can be legally posted on the internet because they are bootlegs. Right?

No, that’s not how it works. Just because someone made a copy of a show available for sale illegally, doesn’t mean it’s suddenly ok to spread it online.

But the Pumpkins recently announced that they have no problems with audience recordings being shared freely online. So for SP it’s ok.

On June 23, 2007 Frank Quinto, Smashing Pumpkins consultant, gave SP’s OK for inclusion in the Live Music Archive:

\"The Smashing Pumpkins live recordings can be uploaded to archive.org. The band is allowing archive.org to create mp3’s / streaming derivatives from taper’s lossless (.flac or .shn) seed files.

Live recordings only please. No Inner Ear Monitor (IEM) / Assisted Listening Device (ALD) sources. Shows recorded off of FM radio broadcasts / TV broadcasts are okay. no unauthorized SBD recordings. If you have a SBD recording you would like to upload, contact Frank at frank AT frankquinto DOT com first to get approval to upload it to archive.org. No profiting on any recordings. We reserve the right to take down any recording that does not fit this policy.

All Smashing Pumpkins live recordings are allowed to be uploaded to archive.org regardless of when the date of performance is (i.e. ALL shows are OK, not just the new 2007 performances.)

NOTE: official recordings from livesmashingpumpkins.com are not allowed on the LMA

-Frank\"

http://www.smashingpumpkins.com/
      http://www.myspace.com/smashingpumpkins[/quote:2tw0ajgz]
      ([url:2tw0ajgz]http://www.archive.org/details/SmashingPumpkins[/url:2tw0ajgz])

manillascissor
      Keymaster

Plus, where a lot of the bootlegs are manufactured, it’s not illegal to produce them. That’s why most of these are not pressed in the US, but they end up here. Illegally.

blueczarina
      Spectator

Plus, where a lot of the bootlegs are manufactured, it’s not illegal to produce them. That’s why most of these are not pressed in the US, but they end up here. Illegally.[/quote:31k6zhce]

i love you ebay 8)

amnesia
      Spectator

i love you ebay 8)[/quote:1gmwifi5]

:lol:

some pumpkins
      Spectator

i bought this for the \"beautiful as the sun\" artwork. the other two might get relisted.

Anonymous
      Spectator

i bought this for the "beautiful as the sun" artwork. the other two might get relisted.[/quote:nthkbuvk]

$50 says you’ll keep all three. :D

some pumpkins
      Spectator

i already own exit mellon collie, so thats gonna go back up soon. but i’ll probably end up keeping tivoili too

Anonymous
      Spectator

:)

Sven
      Spectator

i have bought and had \"released\" bootlegs in the past-

for sure!
      especially from 94-98 when the online world wasn’t as profilic as now.
      heck- i was even heavily into the tape trading world back then!
      i still have 100 tapes or something from those days!!!! ;)

trouble is-
      bootlegs can be cool-
      back then they totally were; on a bootleg i first heard Drown for example-
      or the slow/bluesy Rhino or the long Siva intro, etc, etc, etc…

but these recording are out there-
      with total provenance back to the best and earliest copy/master available for free at Archive, torrents and other places-
      now that Frank Q is working at TSP HQ/Archive there might even be more to see the light of day-

basically in this day and age, there’s no reason to buy these bootlegs no more-
      still- if you like some Photoshopped artwork and maybe even not the best available recording (though there are some very good boots out there- i still remember the 3 Feet High one for example as being a quite good one; or those of the 1997 GM Place concert; or the 1995 Melkweg, Amsterdam concert) go ahead-

otherwise-
      check Starla.org
      check Archive.org
      download the show and enjoy the music for free as TSP is ok with it-
      and don’t give your money to some inscrupulous middleman-
      and remember the text from the infamous white SD era (heart logo) back side-
      remember where to put your hard earned money ;)

Anonymous
      Spectator

Nice post, Sven. It’s encouraged me to write up something that I’ve been meaning to for around a year now. :wink:

= Long post alert =

My Bootie collection’s currently around 70% of this listing (give or take):

http://www.spfc.org/songs-releases/boot.html?b … lay=-1|0||

I started seeding the ‘acceptable’ ones around two years ago (by request and invitation) and have pretty much finished my ‘work’ on that now… It’s been quite the awesome adventure and a fair chunk can be seen here: http://ognetty.com/spboots.htm

Here’s the thing: If I ripped all to computer sometime, do I need them any more? Bad wording, ‘should’ they be kept any longer?

By buying a lot of them from a friend (to help him out), ‘liberating’ and sharing, are they really worth anything now?

Aside from seeing them on this site complete (Arthur would be happy and I’d see to it somehow!), what then?

If I sold them on, aren’t I as bad as the original manufacturers? Giving them away would mean I lose £100s.

Who could be trusted to dispose of them all in my absence?

I’m hoping Quinto’s work unearths great treats, I’m sure it will. :)

Obviously, I love what I’d collected over the years and they mean much to me, although I’d say most SP fans out there don’t really like their nature. Neither do I, never did. :twisted:

I’d love to hear straight opinions on the original question: What would -you- do?

Apparently, Billy Corgan himself was seen buying a bootleg disc some years ago. Could be a billion reason/s, interesting to hear, in any case… No, I can’t remember the details. :D

During my illness last year (been finally given the all-clear now!), a Will had been written and it took me most time to decide where my SP items went – you wouldn’t have believed me if I told ya anyway.

I might also post this on smashingpumpkins.com and Zomb Torrents in future, I’ve always said, \"What’s mine is ours.\"

Opinions would be really useful to me, many thanks, fellow Rawkers.

– Salutes.

\\m/

buying a bootleg and then selling it further on is a bit of a gray area. but i think it’s ok. you paid a lot for it, and if someone is ok with buying it off you, then what’s wrong with that?

i once got the 17 seconds bootleg as a gift. i sold it to a second hand record store for 5 euros, and they sold it to whoever for 12 euros. good riddance. ;)

Arthur
      Spectator

I think I bought my first SP boots some 10-11 years ago, it was in Amsterdam on the flea market. I bought a few in one grab, and if I remember well, The Singles + More and Pluggelectric were between them. The first one for that all black jewelcase (I thought it was rare) and it contains songs I never had heard of before. Pluggelectric obviously for the Dutch concerts in 1993 (VPRO Radio & Lowlands Paradise Festival). I still remember how excited I was to get a hold of these rarities, never seen before in shops or fairs! Played them like crazy of course, especially the live boot.

From the boots I learned that live songs are way more cooler then always the same studio version on the album. Also you could find songs on boots that were not even on any album! So, for a few years, I bought more boots. I have now a little collection of 40-45 Smashing Pumpkins bootlegs, amongst them EightyNine, The Greatest Day, Sound Of Turnips, From The Vault, Berlin Bullet, Slapheads Revenge, Machina Acoustic Demos, Sacred And Profane Tour Soundboard Compilation, Knock On Wood, Freedom, Rawk, Thank You For Participating, Daydream Kisses, SP & Moon Demo Tapes, Vast Oceans, Mellon Collie At The Max, Disconnect, Pumpkinland Demo Rough Mix (nov. 1994) and Adoration. There might be a few between them that are not on SPfreaks.com yet.

I’m not into collecting those bootlegs anymore. Only a while back, when I found that unknown recording of teh concert @ Paard, Den Haag, January 1992, of course I had no doubts buying another boot! But in general, it feels better to focus on the genuine releases. And I have collected most shows in MP3 now. But the bootlegs I have now, I still cherish! As they contain recordings in (most of the times) very good quality, and they stand for a period in my life, when I enjoyed listening to and discovering the early history of the Smashing Pumpkins, and how awesome the Pumpkins are when they play live! 8)

(np: Pluggelectric. Shivers on my spine again…!)

Viewing 21 reply threads

The forum ‘Collecting Items’ is closed to new topics and replies.