Viewing 78 reply threads
  • Author

Superlordspamulon
      Spectator

As suggested by blueczarina :)

Heres a place to discuss all things gaming related.
      Maybe we should start by listing what consoles we have/use and if we game on PC too.

I have a PS3 & I play mainly RTS games on my laptop.

Games I’m playing most often (both on and off line) are MGS4, Burnout Paradise, Bad Company (currently only have the free demo, but plan to upgrade) and C&C 3 (both regular and Kanes Wrath).

Any games people are really looking forward to?
      I personally can’t wait for Killzone 2, I think Killzone 1 was the greatest console FPS ever made, and expect the sequel to improve hugely on that :)
      I’m also a big fan of the Resident Evil series, so RE5 is on my list too :)
      Another game franchise I’m really into is Command & Conquer, so the new Red Alert is being eagerly awaited by moi as well :)

Well, I just finished watching the live feed of Son’y press conference at E3, and I’m quite impressed and hopeful. I would have preferred more detail in each individual main game, or something. But I don’t really know how these work.

And I’m really looking forward to LittleBigPlanet

amnesia
      Spectator

I play Sims 2 + addons when i got time.Cant wait for Sims 3 :P

Marcella
      Spectator

I play Sims a lot as well. I also own an X-BOX 360, but my brother is the one who usually uses it. He owns all the games that I’ve seen mentioned on here, Halo, Devil May Cry etc etc.

Me, I looove the Resident Evil series, me and my friend beat The Umbrella Chronicles in one day, I especially love the fact that I could play as Wesker, my favorite character. I’m also looking forward to RE5.

Im a Cult Hero
      Spectator

I forgot about littlebigplanet, I’m hoping it will play as well as it is cute :)
      Do you guys play online?
      My PSN user name is blackmilk81 if anyone wants to add me, though due to construction work I probably wont be able to use my PS3 for another month :(

Another thing I’m looking forward to checking out is Home on PSN, it looks like some kind of online version of Sims, it could be very interesting

Anonymous
      Spectator

I badly need some advice on consoles, sil vous plait:

Which is the one to buy: Playstation 3 or X-Box 360?

The games are ridiculously over-priced any which way (?), so for a beginner (I was an Old School gamer – Far Cry on PC was my last game), what would you buy and why? :)

My PSN user name is blackmilk81 if anyone wants to add me, though due to construction work I probably wont be able to use my PS3 for another month :(

Another thing I’m looking forward to checking out is Home on PSN, it looks like some kind of online version of Sims, it could be very interesting[/quote:vufg2vz0]
      My PSN is LordSpamulon (I think)

Home is not going to be like The Sims – it’s more of a virtual existence, interactive lobby – you can meet people, chat, organize games, join games, display your trophies etc. etc. It looks set to be quite interesting.

I badly need some advice on consoles, sil vous plait:

Which is the one to buy: Playstation 3 or X-Box 360?

The games are ridiculously over-priced any which way (?), so for a beginner (I was an Old School gamer – Far Cry on PC was my last game), what would you buy and why? :)[/quote:vufg2vz0]

It depends, what sort of games do you like? If you’re more geared towards mindless violence (Gears of War, Halo) then I’d probably recommend the 360 based on those two games. If you like… actually, I find that the PS3 has a really good selection of games out now and in the future (not many RPGs though)

Check their Wikipedia pages, and their list of game pages for each.

Also, the 360 does have a better online set-up, but the PS3 is catching up to it, so the difference will, in the future, not really be important.

Im a Cult Hero
      Spectator

The 360 charges for you to use xbox live though, and PSN is free.
      But as Superlordspamulun said, just check out the games each has, paying most attention to the console exclusives, whichever has the most exclusives that you think you would want to play I think should be your choice.
      I wouldn’t buy into any of the this console is better than that console that goes on, the both have their pro’s and they both have their con’s, at the end of the day the games are all that matter. Financially there is a huge gap between 360 and PS3, but this is really superficial, as to make the 360 a comparable entertainment system (note : I’m not saying a comparable games console) to the standard PS3, you have to buy external add ons which eliminate the cost difference entirely.

Once you have decided on which console you would like, there are more decisions to be made, which model of the console do you want? :P
      The 360 has at least 3 versions, standard, \"Pro\" and \"Elite\", you would have to look into what the differences are between them (aside from price).
      The PS3 comes in 20gb, 40gb and 60gb models (though I think the 60gb is no longer produced).
      As with the 360 the memory size and price are not the only differences.
      I have the 60gb, which has all the possible features, some of which are not present on both smaller models eg : Wireless & Backwards compatability with ps2, which is a great feature as it not only means you can play PS2 games, but also standard DVD’s aswell as blu-ray films.

The PS3 comes in 20gb, 40gb and 60gb models (though I think the 60gb is no longer produced).[/quote:2as08r84]

20 and 60 are no longer produced. There is also an 80gb in some territories that has the same functions as the 60gb. Also, it was recently announced (at E3, I believe) that the 40gb is being changed to "80gb core". Basically, an hard drive upgrade.

You should note that the PS3 is also a blu-ray player (I know you said this cult hero, but i’m going to elaborate). It is the cheapest player on the market, and one of the best. Seeing as BR won the format wars, it will soon become standard.

Anonymous
      Spectator

Good stuff there, cheers guys, I’m making solid notes from this advice because I’ve been out of the game (boom-tish) for way too long now.

The GTA games, MGS and Driver sets are definite must-plays for me. :)

Here’s two games I’d recommend to anybody (PC):

http://www.ballance.org/game.htm

http://secretexit.com/games/stairdismount

Good stuff there, cheers guys, I’m making solid notes from this advice because I’ve been out of the game (boom-tish) for way too long now.

The GTA games, MGS and Driver sets are definite must-plays for me. :) [/quote:27akw2xb]

Well, if you want MGS, MGS4 won’t be coming out on the 360 (at least not any time soon).

And MGS4 is one of my highly recommended games. It’s awesome.

i mostly like rpg’s, that is really the only kind i like, but i also want to play kids games with my son, so what would be the best, i was thinking of a wii, cause i am zelda crazy.

would that be the best? cause my son is 5 and games you can move around for would be good for him, he can’t ever sit still.

i mostly like rpg’s, that is really the only kind i like, but i also want to play kids games with my son, so what would be the best, i was thinking of a wii, cause i am zelda crazy.

would that be the best? cause my son is 5 and games you can move around for would be good for him, he can’t ever sit still.[/quote:1q1dsi4f]

Oh yeah, for sure. Plus the Wii is (comparatively) cheap.

nice, cause i was thinking of getting it for him for christmas. it will be all star wars for his b-day, he has decided.

Anonymous
      Spectator

I wish we would have bought the wii. Xbox doesn’t have very many younger kid friendly games.
      My 8 year old loves kingdom hearts, but can’t play it on -that game needs to be available for 360

oh man i want to get kingdom hearts, my step son has a ps2, so i am gonna get it for that. and it will still work with a ps3 right?

amnesia
      Spectator

oh man i want to get kingdom hearts, my step son has a ps2, so i am gonna get it for that. and it will still work with a ps3 right?[/quote:2kqgoyww]

I think thats a negative Bullett.My little sisters boyfreind bought a playstation 3 a while ago and he has a lotta playstation 2 games.So he wanted to play some playstaion 2 games on his playstaion 3 and it did not work at all.What ive heard is,the latest playstation 3 models dont accept playstation 2 games,but the odd part is the playstation 3 do accept playstation 1 games.But the first model of playstation 3 you can play playstation 2 games on.I think its the model with the 40gb hardisc space.I think you should look into this,i might be wrong though,but i doubt it. :wink:

amnesia
      Spectator

I just bought me a PSP.200 dollars brand new.Now i need to hack it,how the hell am im gonna do that :o

oh man i want to get kingdom hearts, my step son has a ps2, so i am gonna get it for that. and it will still work with a ps3 right?[/quote:2s1mxzzn]

I think thats a negative Bullett.My little sisters boyfreind bought a playstation 3 a while ago and he has a lotta playstation 2 games.So he wanted to play some playstaion 2 games on his playstaion 3 and it did not work at all.What ive heard is,the latest playstation 3 models dont accept playstation 2 games,but the odd part is the playstation 3 do accept playstation 1 games.But the first model of playstation 3 you can play playstation 2 games on.I think its the model with the 40gb hardisc space.I think you should look into this,i might be wrong though,but i doubt it. :wink:[/quote:2s1mxzzn]

oh, i will check and see, we might have to get that kind off of ebay.

amnesia
      Spectator

oh man i want to get kingdom hearts, my step son has a ps2, so i am gonna get it for that. and it will still work with a ps3 right?[/quote:bxbt2wua]

I think thats a negative Bullett.My little sisters boyfreind bought a playstation 3 a while ago and he has a lotta playstation 2 games.So he wanted to play some playstaion 2 games on his playstaion 3 and it did not work at all.What ive heard is,the latest playstation 3 models dont accept playstation 2 games,but the odd part is the playstation 3 do accept playstation 1 games.But the first model of playstation 3 you can play playstation 2 games on.I think its the model with the 40gb hardisc space.I think you should look into this,i might be wrong though,but i doubt it. :wink:[/quote:bxbt2wua]

oh, i will check and see, we might have to get that kind off of ebay.[/quote:bxbt2wua]

I was wrong,i looked into it.Its the 40GB disc that dont want to play playstation 2 games because they stripped out the emotion engine and graphics synthesizer these are required to run PS2 games.It seems you need to get a 60 or 80 Gb :wink:

ahhhhhhhh, ok. well it will be a little while before i am able to get one, so i will look into the prices. thanks mayo.

amnesia
      Spectator

I forgot to add.Seems there is a 20Gb also.Its one of the first models out there it seems.That version is also usefull with playstation 2 games :wink:

Anonymous
      Spectator

Phew, there’s a lot to buying PS3s these days, which is what I’ve chosen for future purchase.

Good info. \\m/

Actually, there’s not much to it anymore. At the moment, there is only the 80gb and 40gb, the 80 being better.

Ignore everything about 60gb and 20gb, they’re not sold anymore.

In the near future, the 40gb will be replaced with 80gb \"core\" which is only a hard-drive improvement.

Anonymous
      Spectator

Noted. :)

What are the best places online to order the games from?

No way on Earth would I pay shop prices again like, \"When I were a Lad.\"

Noted. :)

What are the best places online to order the games from?

No way on Earth would I pay shop prices again like, "When I were a Lad."[/quote:2yyftn6c]

Play.com

Amazon.com

I only use Amazon, but my mates say great things about Play.

On a side note, it has been revealed Stephen Fry will be narrating LittleBigPlanet.

That is all kinds of awesome.

Anonymous
      Spectator

I’m a Member of both, so that’s handy.

I remember paying £2.99 every Saturday for C64 games, which lasted the week, then I bought another.

Damn, thems was the days. 8)

amnesia
      Spectator

The old PS3 are worth more then gold these days,coz they can accept the PS2 games.A old PS3 version is more worth then a new PS3 i think,coz of that.But what bugs me is why the fuck Sony stripped emotion engine and the the GFX synthesizer,and the sales numbers the PS2 is still selling more then PS3.In my book Sony fucked up big time with PS3.Pheww,yesterday i knew nada about Sony playstation in general.Guess a little reading helped me a bit

Anonymous
      Spectator

I’m glad you chipped in the info, mayo.

Unless I’m mistaken (probably), wasn’t there a game recently released that runs on both the Xbox and PS3?

The same disc in either, I mean? :) :?

I’m glad you chipped in the info, mayo.

Unless I’m mistaken (probably), wasn’t there a game recently released that runs on both the Xbox and PS3?

The same disc in either, I mean? :) :?[/quote:199dn47i]

I highly doubt it.

It may just be a multi-platform release.

Im a Cult Hero
      Spectator

Check this out, it’s Billy as a playable character in Oblivion!!!! (PC only)

omg, that is neat.

blueczarina
      Spectator

holy f*ck, thats a crazy pic. :lol:

amnesia
      Spectator

Did someone use Bodyshop or Photoshop to that ? :)

chip foose strikes again!

Im a Cult Hero
      Spectator

Did someone use Bodyshop or Photoshop to that ? :)[/quote:135l7d7h]

Nah its a home made game mod, it’s a genuine playable character, though, given that the game is first person perspective you’d only see Billy when you looked in a mirror :P
      I’m currently trying to get my hands on it as I have the game, I believe the guitar is a modified sword :)

Im a Cult Hero
      Spectator

If anyone else has Oblivion and would like to go hacking up bad guys and looting houses as Billy Corgan :

http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=18467

there are instuctions on what mods to download and how to make it work.

amnesia
      Spectator

If anyone else has Oblivion and would like to go hacking up bad guys and looting houses as Billy Corgan :

http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=18467

there are instuctions on what mods to download and how to make it work.[/quote:1ns2zz91]

Whats Oblivion ?
      Yes i know its a mod,but the way its done,it looks defo like a Body/phtoshops work.Looks very nice indeed :wink:

Whats Oblivion ?[/quote:3oodjen1]

It’s an RPG, I believe.

Im a Cult Hero
      Spectator

Yup, an RPG, Oblivion is part of a long running series.
      The full title of this game is \"The Elder Scrolls IV : Oblivion\".
      I’m generally not much of an RPG fan, but I did enjoy this game, as you can see just from that mod screenshot, the graphics are superb, and if your pc has the muscle to run it, I’d highly recommend it :)
      It’s also available on 360 and PS3.

Now if you’ll excuse me, me & Billy have some houses to loot and fights to start with the law! :D

i would like to play online games like that, and my computer does have a lot of whatever it needs, but i get made fun of if i am on the computer to much, and games, i get made fun of too. but if i play with the kids getting made fun of, not so much.

Im a Cult Hero
      Spectator

Anyone seen the new EA game \"Spore\"? By the creator of The Sims, it’s not out until september, but you can download a free trial of the creature creator or pay for the full version here :
      http://eu.spore.com/home.cfm?lang=en
      I’ve been having a lot of fun creating insane creatures, the finished game will be an online RTS as far as I can tell, and you use your creatures in it, and interact with other peoples, not just as in fighting them, as it is also kind of a social networking thing, looks really cool anyway, think I’ll be checking it out when released :)

Yeah, I heard of it. Refuses to work for me, but meh.

Now, who here’s played Portal?

Is it not one of the most brilliant games ever?!?

I’ve played Portal too much – my sense of direction is pretty messed up. In that after a while, when looking at my monitor for a length of time, I feel like I’m looking down. From the ceiling. Whilst standing on the ground. It’s a little worrying.
      But it doesn’t matter, because Portal is AWESOME.

Im a Cult Hero
      Spectator

Does anyone know this \"Steam\" program that some games seem to require you to have to use?
      Off the top of my head 3 of mine need it (Half Life 2, Counterstrike & Lost Planet).
      I just do not understand this program at all, what is it for? What exactly is it doing?
      I’m sort of venting right now, because I’m tired, its been a long day at work and I decided I’d unwind with a quick game of Lost Planet….Steam had other ideas, I’m not sure exactly what its doing, but it simply isn’t letting me play until its finished doing it, I don’t see why I should have to wait to play a game already installed on my laptop, if I was trying to play online I could understand the possible need for updates….but I’m not
      Gah! It’s so frustrating, I don’t even have time to play it now!

Does anyone know this "Steam" program that some games seem to require you to have to use?
      Off the top of my head 3 of mine need it (Half Life 2, Counterstrike & Lost Planet).
      I just do not understand this program at all, what is it for? What exactly is it doing?
      I’m sort of venting right now, because I’m tired, its been a long day at work and I decided I’d unwind with a quick game of Lost Planet….Steam had other ideas, I’m not sure exactly what its doing, but it simply isn’t letting me play until its finished doing it, I don’t see why I should have to wait to play a game already installed on my laptop, if I was trying to play online I could understand the possible need for updates….but I’m not
      Gah! It’s so frustrating, I don’t even have time to play it now![/quote:3ho219p2]

Stream is essentially a content providing application from Valve. It allows you to buy and download games, helps distribute patches, and provides news and stuff, as well as acting as a score tracker and stuff. Think of it like iTunes, but for games. I don’t really use it (I don’t need to) but I understand it’s fairly useful.

Anonymous
      Spectator

not exactly sure , but I know we had to have for those games too. otherwise they weren’t working properly

Im a Cult Hero
      Spectator

So Guitar Hero : \"World Tour\" featuring some guy called Billy Corgan (no, I have no idea either :P), is being released near the end of this month (24th I think).
      Is anyone going to get it?
      I’ve always avoided the guitar hero/rock band games, something about them always just felt very wrong. Like, I COULD try beat my top score on GH or I could try and learn to play a real guitar.
      But everyone swears by how much fun it is, and Billy’s inclusion is going to make me cave….plus I’ll have an excuse to buy that SP guitar hero cover thing (are they even still available?).

Like, I COULD try beat my top score on GH or I could try and learn to play a real guitar.[/quote:3rxru0ud]

GH is a game. It doesn’t try to be like real guitar playing. Saying something like that is like saying "I could beat my fastest lap on Gran Turismo, or I could actually learn to drive" or "I could complete the game on hard on Tekken, or I could actually learn martial arts". It’s like that. If you understand…

Im a Cult Hero
      Spectator

Oh I know, and I agree.
      I guess it’s just the importance some put on music that makes it seem a little off.
      I’ve made the same argument with ppl who’ve made the comparison, but then at the same time, like I said…I’ve avoided the games, so I guess on some level I kind of agree with it :/

blueczarina
      Spectator

Like, I COULD try beat my top score on GH or I could try and learn to play a real guitar.[/quote:3v2t46ex]

GH is a game. It doesn’t try to be like real guitar playing. Saying something like that is like saying "I could beat my fastest lap on Gran Turismo, or I could actually learn to drive" or "I could complete the game on hard on Tekken, or I could actually learn martial arts". It’s like that. If you understand…[/quote:3v2t46ex]

that made me laugh :lol:

i wonder if my brother will get it. he has the others. i doubt i will buy it though. the soundtrack maybe- presuming it has GLOW. :wink:

Anonymous
      Spectator

who plays Halo on xbox360?? anyone?
      My son said he wants to beat you down, if any of you game on that one..lol

Im a Cult Hero
      Spectator

Hehe, I think most gamers on the board are using either PC or PS3, so no Halo 3 players here.

Anyone been checking out games coming out soon? FPS central!
      Seriously, I love FPS but the sheer amount of them coming out is ridiculous! And still no sign of Killzone :(

I am considering Far Cry 2 though, looks pretty sweet, graphics *almost* up to Crysis standards, though Mirrors Edge looks like it could be fantastic, and I might think about Resistance 2, but I really wasn’t all that impressed first time round.

Im a Cult Hero
      Spectator

Oh and BTW just looked up Guitar hero world tour up on wiki, apparently Billy will be a selectable character :D
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitar_hero_4

blueczarina
      Spectator

sure enough- you get to be billy.

toad32r
      Spectator

I have a PS3, and play some pc games… World of Warcraft(haven’t played in awhile). Had a 360, it took a s@#t on me though!

toad32r
      Spectator

Actually i had 2 Xbox 360’s, both took a crap

Anonymous
      Spectator

Actually i had 2 Xbox 360’s, both took a crap[/quote:2uxthi80]
      holy shit-both of them
      what did you do to them?lol
      i’m waiting for both of our to do the same. We had 2 ps2 and they both fried out.

Actually i had 2 Xbox 360’s, both took a crap[/quote:31wx654m]
      RROD?

We had 2 ps2 and they both fried out.[/quote:31wx654m]

Yeah, that was a common problem – after ~3 years, the laser gave up.

toad32r
      Spectator

yeah, RROD, i wont buy another one. I have a buddy that his 360 died after like 4 months, they (Microsoft), repaired it for free though.

Anonymous
      Spectator

here’s my issue-We can fly into space, but not create a game console that is gonna last more than 2-3 years..GREED is so terrible…

toad32r
      Spectator

Things are made to be replaced… look at cars, appliances, tv’s, computers… its all money. Im sure they could make everything last alot longer, but then the companies wont make money on your return bussiness… SO SAD REALLY

Egads! I’m ridiculously addicted to the Mirror’s Edge demo!

It is so freaking good!

I recommend people go play it. So good.

Also, I’ve ordered Fallout 3. Woo!

Im a Cult Hero
      Spectator

Yeah Mirrors edge is awesome so far :)
      But I’m hooked on Far Cry 2 and I want to pick up Little Big Planet.
      Too many games, not enough cash :(

amnesia
      Spectator

I just want Sims 3 :D

Doubtful-Della
      Spectator

I have a 360 and used to play Halo on Xbox live, but I got sick of all the 12 year olds screaming into their headsets that you stole their sniper riffle. Plus I hated the $50/year fee

Then I was part of a clan and played Battlefield II almost every night… but got tired of people glitching

Right now I’m only playing Dominion Classic and Dominion LL online. It’s a text based strategy game… pretty much you just build up troops and land and attack other players. It’s all about calculations, but thankfully there is an online calculator to help you with all the percentages

Sometimes I’ll get on a Sims kick, but Sims II gives me a headache

I’m looking forward to Fable II for Xbox

WOOT

LBP and Fallout 3 arrived today

:D

Im a Cult Hero
      Spectator

I’m officially sold on Guitar Hero world tour, I love playing the drums :)
      I still havent downloaded Glow or the other SP songs available for it (it only comes with \"Today\" included) because I’ve been having major problems with my connection lately :(

Im a Cult Hero
      Spectator

Killzone 2 in 2 weeks!!
      I’m downloading the demo as I type from PSN :D
      Can’t wait to try it out ;)

amnesia
      Spectator

Sims 3 delayed. :(

Killzone 2 in 2 weeks!!
      Can’t wait to try it out ;)[/quote:rqclga05]

SO

FUCKING

GOOD

albeit, criminally short.

amnesia
      Spectator

What is Killzone? Sounds so violent and brutal.

Im a Cult Hero
      Spectator

Well you do go around shooting soldiers in it, but it’s ok, because their the evil Helghast from Mars *shakes fist angrily in Mars general direction*
      It’s a first person shooter (Like Doom?) the focus isn’t on violence though, the story and strategy is more important I think.
      gah! 41% This is killing me!!!!!!

amnesia
      Spectator

i never really played a shooter game before.I tried Doom, back in the 90s.These day/months im soooo into Silent hill.I bought almost all of them (2+3+4+5+6), reason why i got hooked one of my freinds played Silent Hill 1, and it was so scary and i liked it, so i borrowed the first Silent hill game and completed it and also completed Silent hill 2 as well, when i get more time im going for the 3 one. :wink:

Im a Cult Hero
      Spectator

Killzone 2 in 2 weeks!!
      Can’t wait to try it out ;)[/quote:l92o4wm0]

SO

FUCKING

GOOD

albeit, criminally short.[/quote:l92o4wm0]

Your right, it was short, but good god is it good!!!!! :D
      Roll on the 27th!!

Your right, it was short, but good god is it good!!!!! :D
      Roll on the 27th!![/quote:34ujcgoy]

I bet your jaw dropped the moment you saw the in-game graphics. Mine did.

And my TV has a freaking VCR built in. That is how gorgeous this game is.

Also, I really want to check out Flower some time soon. It’s meant to be amazing.

Im a Cult Hero
      Spectator

Totally. On the floor. :P
      It looks even better than the fake video they put together for that games trade show a while ago that everyone attacked.
      Flower looks interesting, it’s one of those weird original PSN titles that I look at and go \"WTF?\" but at the same time want to try out.

Im a Cult Hero
      Spectator

I’m just back from the store with my copy of Killzone 2 *joygasm* :D

I’m just back from the store with my copy of Killzone 2 *joygasm* :D[/quote:x5fu906l]
      I’m gonna get that soon. Don’t know exactly when, but hopefully soon.

Viewing 78 reply threads

The forum ‘Miscellaneous Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.