Viewing 28 reply threads
  • Author

Superlordspamulon
      Keymaster

Sheila, Ava, Daphne, Dusty?, Annie, Martha, Czarina

What gives? I can’t think of another album that has this many women’s names on it. It’s pretty cool, those names. I like them all, especially Czarina. Just wonder why so many of these names ended up in the song titles themselves.

probably cause billy loves the ladies

:wink:

manillascissor
      Keymaster

I suppose, but why this album and no others? (to this degree, anyway)

i think that because the sound was softer, more feminie, maybe.

Im a Cult Hero
      Spectator

He was newly single again? :P

blueczarina
      Spectator

Maybe its because he was dealing with a lot of issues at the time that involved women. His mom died, he was getting a divorce, Darcy was on her way out, Yelena was around. I think maybe it just got expressed in his music. Plus as bullettwoutbutterflywings said, the album is softer.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

Maybe its because he was dealing with a lot of issues at the time that involved women. His mom died, he was getting a divorce, Darcy was on her way out, Yelena was around. I think maybe it just got expressed in his music. Plus as bullettwoutbutterflywings said, the album is softer.[/quote:227psx8z]

That makes sense. Like, For Martha is obvious. Just the rest. I wonder if these are inspired by real people or just poetic parameter.

Just the rest. I wonder if these are inspired by real people or just poetic parameter.[/quote:3e294gac]
      Probably for poetic/romantic use. Alluding to things, as well as feminizing them for whatever reason (Billy mentioned that his music is essentially female or something like that once)

Maybe he finds it easier to discuss issues when they are given a female form? Maybe they best represent the stuff he’s talking about? Maybe it’s just a poetic device? Who knows!

darcysiva
      Spectator

I agree, definitely poetic. Though I love the names he chose! And of course.. Dusty in Dusty and Pistol Pete, which is one of my very favs off Adore.

Adore was such a great album, it still pisses me off that some people \"abandoned\" the band after that, and Billy has said they should have just quit after MCIS (I guess due to all the tragedy that occured during that tour) but I get kind of sad thinking what if Adore was never written/recorded. Its just a beautiful album.

And there’s my .02 cents ;)

blueczarina
      Spectator

Yeah, its probably just poetic device- the female personification of his issues at the time.

I know what you mean – Adore is truly a beautiful album, but very tragic, which doesn’t make it accessible to the mainstream like MCIS and SD did…

blueczarina
      Spectator

It is a beautiful album. It is too bad that so many people abandoned the band afterwards, but unfortunately to many people just wan’t some run of the mill pop/rock song. They just want Today, not anything richer and deeper.

i was just listing to adore while i was puttering around the house this afternoon, and it is such a beautiful album. i really think it compliments the other ones.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

Adore, to me, is the only album that truly stands out from all the other Pumpkins work. And I don’t think it is solely due to the fact that Jimmy wasn’t on this album. It just doesn’t have that rock edge, that most of the other albums at least delve in and out of.

I’d say it’s my favorite album, after Siamese Dream of course. And yes, the thought of no Adore? :cry:

blueczarina
      Spectator

And yes, the thought of no Adore? :cry:[/quote:3khtasrw]

The thought of no any of the Pumpkin albums (Gish to now). :cry: :lol:

manillascissor
      Keymaster

Eh, fuck Machina. I can’t even listen to that album. I know that sounds weird, but damn, I just don’t connect w/ it at ALL.

i like some of the stuff on machina, but not as much as all the other albums.

blueczarina
      Spectator

I agree to an extent. There are songs on Machina that I do think are beautiful songs. I only listen to them individually though. Last time I listened to the album start to finish I felt like I was on the rack. It’s just too oppressive. I think the reason it’s so unapproachable has to do with Billy’s song writing for the record. From Adore into Machina a lot of his songs, from a poetic standpoint, were written in the High Modernist style. He switched more to stream of consciousness and lyrics that were overly metaphor laden. For me, I’m reminded of all the times I‘ve been forced to trudge through Ezra Pound and T.S. Elliot. It just kills the brain. I think Billy was just trying to show that he can wax poetic with the best of them. I’m not calling him pompous or intellectually elitist, but I think he did little to disprove that criticism here. Machina just doesn’t cut it as light listening. The acoustic demos are better though.

Oh, and by the way I’m a literature minor, so that’s where the semi- uppity lyric analysis comes from. Sorry. :wink:

that is alright, i like to read stuff like that, and i saw in an interview that the lyrics he wrote for machina were an exsageration (ok, i know i so did not spell that right) of himself, what the public perseption of him was, but just more. maybe that is why we aren’t really \"feeling\" it.

blueczarina
      Spectator

Yeah, I heard that too. I think between the subject matter and the songwriting it was just a failure in general. To far reaching.

I like Machina. Not as much as the other records, but it’s not bad. It strikes me as… arcane in a sci-fi way. I don’t know what it is, it just makes me see that. Probably the artwork.

blueczarina
      Spectator

I do like the songs themselves. I just can’t listen to the album start to finish. Its just gets to be too much that way. I think if Machina II was put with it, the album would have been better. I think more people could have appreciated it, with the material broken up a little better like on MCIS. As is, I think a lot of people just find listening to the whole thing a bit torturous, even if you love the Pumpkins. It does have cool album art though (videos not so much). :wink:

(videos not so much). :wink:[/quote:2dsld1e3]
      I dunno, TTT had a pretty thought provoking video.

blueczarina
      Spectator

That video was pretty shocking. I always wonder how much thought was actually put into it or if it was rushed because of the band ending. It seem to me like the use of the short film was just a quick fix. I think he lost some fans there too.

I can see what you mean, but i still like that video.

Besides, the short film had a different ending, so some thought had to go into it.

blueczarina
      Spectator

Yeah, I saw it had a different ending so I know some thought went into it. I just don’t think it had the same attention put towards it as previous videos.

Well, it wasn’t a single (was it?)

EDIT

Ok, so it was in the UK

blueczarina
      Spectator

I don’t even know what was a single for Machina. I think the whole release was kind of messed up.

Check the collection. Apparently, there was a UK release.

Viewing 28 reply threads

The forum ‘General’ is closed to new topics and replies.