Viewing 56 reply threads
  • Author

confuciousconfusing
      Spectator

Please enjoy all of the entries in their entirety! They are presented in alphabetical order. The entries are listed in the following format:

Poster
      Flyer
      Backstage passes, iron-on badges, or stickers (3)
      Bumpersticker
      Shirt (front then back, if submitted)
      Setlist
      Other

Know how much we enjoyed hosting this contest! These submissions are truly wonderful and everyone should be very happy with their contribution. We thank you dearly for making this contest a wonderful success!

SPfreaks
      Spectator

absinth (entry 1)

Note: This user submitted two posters, and a justification for such. We decided to judge these as a front and back, instead of disqualification.

SPfreaks
      Spectator

Adore34614 (entry 1)

SPfreaks
      Spectator

AlexHlavaty (entry 1)

SPfreaks
      Spectator

Ambrose (entry 1)

SPfreaks
      Spectator

Apathyse (entry 1)

SPfreaks
      Spectator

Apathyse (entry 2)

SPfreaks
      Spectator

Apathyse (entry 3)

SPfreaks
      Spectator

bullettwoutbutterflywings (entry 1)

SPfreaks
      Spectator

bullettwoutbutterflywings (entry 2)

SPfreaks
      Spectator

Daisy_Divine (entry 1)

SPfreaks
      Spectator

Doubtful-Della (entry 1)

SPfreaks
      Spectator

Doubtful-Della (entry 2)

SPfreaks
      Spectator

douglas78 (entry 1)

SPfreaks
      Spectator

Jai-Star (entry 1)

SPfreaks
      Spectator

Jai-Star (entry 2)

SPfreaks
      Spectator

jconley78 (entry 1)

SPfreaks
      Spectator

Jenn (entry 1)

SPfreaks
      Spectator

Jenn (entry 2)

SPfreaks
      Spectator

Jerf (entry 1)

SPfreaks
      Spectator

Jerf (entry 2)

SPfreaks
      Spectator

Kuumar & Riverandsky (entry 1)

SPfreaks
      Spectator

natascha (entry 1)

SPfreaks
      Spectator

OoAwAo0 (entry 1)

SPfreaks
      Spectator

Pipoka (entry 1)

SPfreaks
      Spectator

Reggaeluv2000 (entry 1)

SPfreaks
      Spectator

Reggaeluv2000 (entry 2)

SPfreaks
      Spectator

Reggaeluv2000 (entry 3)

SPfreaks
      Spectator

scotopic_lux (entry 1)

SPfreaks
      Spectator

smassin (entry 1)

Note: This user has asked us to remove their submissions, which is a shame, as they were wonderful.

SPfreaks
      Spectator

Codie Blodgett (entry 1)

Note: This user’s entry was accidentally added out of alphabetical order.

SPfreaks
      Spectator

thrashingponies (entry 1)

Note: This user submitted all handmade items.

SPfreaks
      Spectator

Tion (entry 1)

SPfreaks
      Spectator

wHiTe_sPyDeR_gRl (entry 1)

SPfreaks
      Spectator

zero_jme (entry 1)

SPfreaks
      Spectator

lunatwin (entry 1)

Note: This user submitted a handmade setlist.

ObscureD
      Spectator

Doubtful-Della (entry 1) —> your flyer is beautiful !
      Doubtful-Della (entry 2) —> your second poster is amazing too !

douglas78 —> great work, I like it

natascha —> wonderful poster, very oldschool

Pipoka —> your poster is n°1 for me ;)

scotopic_lux —> I like the colors of your poster

Very very cool contest ! Thanks SPFreaks !

Pipoka
      Spectator

Thank you Obscured !!!! :oops:

There are very cool stuff ! i need to see it again but i like a lot of entries ! :D

Tion
      Spectator

my favorite is/was from zero_jme :)

Doubtful-Della
      Spectator

my favorite is/was from zero_jme :)[/quote:3fkqkl9e]
      Tion, I love how you submitted your setlist! Very cool. Looks like the back of a CD

there are so many good ones, natascha’s and zero_jme’s and pip’s were some of my faves.

but there were lots of great ones. i just really love the green on zero_ime’s.

Doubtful-Della
      Spectator

Sorry I’m not commenting on everybody’s… I know that doesn’t seam fair of me.

Absinth- That design is so sharp. It looks completely professional. I love it.

AlexHlavaty- I love the fact that it looks like colored pencils was your medium. That is such a difficult medium to work with. Your first poster with the Jesus ? cracked me up. I liked the \"out of the box\" style. The face card backstage pass rocked. If I were a rock star, I’d have that as my backstage pass

Douglas- I love the patch on the heart. Great poster!

Jai-Star I like your flier, how it’s the same image but one is monochromatic. The font you used was awesome, is it hand made?

Jenn- I think I had an epileptic seizure while scrolling :) The colors and the lines really grab my attention

Jerf- When I saw some the samples I thought these would take the cake, both the moon man and the cherub. My favorite part about the moon man is the stars that spell out the years. GREAT idea

Natacha- You already know I love your poster. I think your badges were the most unique out of all the entries

Pipoka- I want that T-shirt!

Tion- Very professional, would make a great album cover. The setlist rocked my socks in the area of design

Zero- When I saw the samples I thought this was the crispest and cleanest of all the entries. It makes me happy. I love the idea of the \"black sunshine\" \"white crosses\" on the back of your T-shirt. Great job, and congrats on second place. Congrats that PMM liked yours best, It really rocked. If I saw this poster at the concert, I’d buy it.

Pipoka
      Spectator

i can send you the design if you want…
      :wink:

Doubtful-Della
      Spectator

i can send you the design if you want…
      :wink:[/quote:23u0f8cw]

We should find out how to get trade mark permission from Smashing Pumpkins to use their band name/tour dates to sell fan art and then upload them to sell at places like CafePress

ObscureD
      Spectator

Congratulation Doubtful-Della !
      Do you think you’ll produce and sell some copies of your poster ?

Wow. Some of these are absolutely amazing.

And being honest – the ones where MSPaint was used in lieu of Photoshop are quite hilarious. Sure, they had a great concept, but the execution tended to be quite amusing.

well superlord not everyone can have neat and expensive programs like that on thier computers.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

well superlord not everyone can have neat and expensive programs like that on thier computers.[/quote:3iw6goja]

for the record, bullett, i really really liked your fence entry. i liked the gray, with the floral colors pronounced throughout.

Doubtful-Della
      Spectator

Do you think you’ll produce and sell some copies of your poster ?[/quote:36vhkwq8]

This has been discussed and details are being worked out as we speak. I’d have to get permission from the band to use their name in selling fan art. Keep an eye out on SPfreaks if everything works out

Doubtful-Della
      Spectator

And being honest – the ones where MSPaint was used in lieu of Photoshop are quite hilarious. .[/quote:p1fap3tq]

I have to agree (Ms paint is sometimes a bad idea) and disagree. Not everybody can afford Photoshop, and not everybody wants or knows how to hack it. But at the same time there are free programs like Gimp out there that are nice, and cheaper versions of Photoshop (Elements) that range around $100.00. But even so, those take a while to learn. You could say that they could have just done it by hand and scanned it in (or taken a photo of it, or just mailed in the entry) But not everybody is comfortable with that or have art supplies just laying around the house.

In any case, they gave it their best shot, and that’s what counts.

In MS Paint’s defense…. have you ever seen this video? Shows you just how powerful that little program can be

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk2sPl_Z7ZU[/youtube]

zero_jme
      Spectator

my favorite is/was from zero_jme :)[/quote:1dy8t9v4]

there are so many good ones, natascha’s and zero_jme’s and pip’s were some of my faves.

but there were lots of great ones. i just really love the green on zero_ime’s.[/quote:1dy8t9v4]

Zero- When I saw the samples I thought this was the crispest and cleanest of all the entries. It makes me happy. I love the idea of the "black sunshine" "white crosses" on the back of your T-shirt. Great job, and congrats on second place. Congrats that PMM liked yours best, It really rocked. If I saw this poster at the concert, I’d buy it.[/quote:1dy8t9v4]

Thanks for all of the compliments! I genuinely appreciate it!

In order to explain some of my reasoning, here’s what I wrote up and sent in along with my submission to explain my design decisions:

I chose to use green as the prominent color across the series because emerald is the traditional gemstone that represents a 20th anniversary (and green is its corresponding color). Though not a color widely used in the Pumpkins’ historical color palette, I thought green was an excellent choice due to the number of emotions it conveys. It often symbolizes well-being and harmony, which Billy and the Pumpkins seem to have found both spiritually and musically since the resurrection of SP. It also symbolizes growth and endurance, both of which are quite fitting given the current celebration of the band’s past, present, and future.

Since the Pumpkins’ style is constantly evolving with each release, I thought it was a good idea to infuse new ideas with traditional elements that are hallmarks of the Pumpkins’ presence. While the typography and design may be very clean and concise, I chose to give everything a worn, texturized look to convey the sense of history behind the Pumpkins, and the radiating circles are meant to represent celebration and growth. I also created icons for the Black Sunshine and White Crosses dates, which appear on the poster, flyer, iron-on badge, and t-shirt. And finally, rather than use a traditional SP logo, I chose to adapt it once more. The number 20 fit nicely in the modified heart shape, and I rendered it to look like Billy’s handwriting.

Doubtful-Della
      Spectator

I rendered it to look like Billy’s handwriting.[/quote:1y8xg1tc]

Oooh I would have never thought to do that! Good one. Thanks for the behind the scenes look at your creations!

ObscureD
      Spectator

ObscureD wrote:
      Do you think you’ll produce and sell some copies of your poster ?

This has been discussed and details are being worked out as we speak. I’d have to get permission from the band to use their name in selling fan art. Keep an eye out on SPfreaks if everything works out [/quote:1z3ct89v]

I hope it’ll work ! I \"Adore\" your poster :)

Pipoka
      Spectator

Thanks for all of the compliments! I genuinely appreciate it!

In order to explain some of my reasoning, here’s what I wrote up and sent in along with my submission to explain my design decisions:

I chose to use green as the prominent color across the series because emerald is the traditional gemstone that represents a 20th anniversary (and green is its corresponding color). Though not a color widely used in the Pumpkins’ historical color palette, I thought green was an excellent choice due to the number of emotions it conveys. It often symbolizes well-being and harmony, which Billy and the Pumpkins seem to have found both spiritually and musically since the resurrection of SP. It also symbolizes growth and endurance, both of which are quite fitting given the current celebration of the band’s past, present, and future.

Since the Pumpkins’ style is constantly evolving with each release, I thought it was a good idea to infuse new ideas with traditional elements that are hallmarks of the Pumpkins’ presence. While the typography and design may be very clean and concise, I chose to give everything a worn, texturized look to convey the sense of history behind the Pumpkins, and the radiating circles are meant to represent celebration and growth. I also created icons for the Black Sunshine and White Crosses dates, which appear on the poster, flyer, iron-on badge, and t-shirt. And finally, rather than use a traditional SP logo, I chose to adapt it once more. The number 20 fit nicely in the modified heart shape, and I rendered it to look like Billy’s handwriting.[/quote:27plx9ja]

It looks very clean and professional.
      you’re idea to put 20 instead of sp on the heart shape is amazing !
      great job ;)

Arthur
      Spectator

I’m not sure if this was ever noticed… But the contest was mentioned on The Soul of Rock ‘n’ Roll website! 8)

http://www.soulofrocknroll.com/?p=368

blueczarina
      Spectator

very cool 8)

Anonymous
      Spectator

very cool Arthur 8)

Viewing 56 reply threads

The forum ‘Archive Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.