Viewing 29 reply threads
  • Author

Doubtful-Della
      Keymaster

I need an explantion, if you have the time, as to why this song means so much to you.

I like it, but haven’t chosen it to play at my funeral.

Why have you?

manillascissor
      Keymaster

Nothing left to say
      And all Ive left to do
      Is run away
      From you

And she led me up, down
      With secrets I cant keep
      Close your eyes and sleep
      Dont wait up for me
      Hush now dont you speak
      To me

Wrap my hurt in you
      And took my shelter in that pain
      The opiate of blame
      Is you broken heart, your heart

So now Im all by myself
      As Ive always felt
      Ill betray my tears
      To anyone caught in our ruse of fools

One last kiss for me…yeah
      One last kiss good night

Didnt want to lose you once again
      Didnt want to be your friend
      Fulfill a promise made of tears
      And crawled back to you

Now Im all by myself
      As Ive always felt
      And Ill betray myself
      To anyone, anyone but you

So let the sadness come again
      On that you can depend on me
      Until the bitter, bitter end
      When good sleeps in bliss

And Im all by myself
      As Ive always felt
      And Ill betray myself
      To anyone

blueczarina
      Spectator

maybe he just thinks it kicks ass? :wink: i was wondering that too though manilla.

Arthur
      Spectator

Not only kicks ass, it’s way more than that… Almost every Pumpkins song kicks ass, but Soma goes way deeper.

The text says it all, the guitar goes so well with it, when it goes from a balad part to a rock part, it suits the song so well, it has a non-standard song length of over 6 minutes, and all this is just blablabla to explain something that I cannot explain. This song makes me cry almost every time I listen to it, really. Especially when Billy Corgan ends the song with that \"how now na na ooohh!\" part. Shivers! Soma is my private moment of melancholy, anger, love, sleep, philosophy, etc. As if it was my life itself or something. Everything and all that is there. Being all my own gods in one. The cold outside of me & the warmth inside me. Blablabla.

So, when I want my friends and family to know what Smashing Pumpkins means to me, it’s Soma.

On a sidenote, there are 2 songs that come really close to Soma, that’s Led Zeppelins’ \"No Quarter\" and a song I know since my youth from a Dutch band called Hallo Venray ( http://www.myspace.com/hallovenray ) – Tuck, The Man. This last song is my anthem for the girls (I’m gonna try to find a MP3 for you guys for that song, it’s awesome), No Quarter is about being alone and find your own way in life, and Soma puts everything together in 1 song. Those 3 songs are on the list to be played at my funeral, with Soma as the absolute #1.

i am gonna have all sp at my funeral, and it will all end with porcelina. i think it is perfect, i thought about the everlasting gaze, but that might be too fucked up. \"you know i’m not dead\". i think it is funny, but i don’t think other people would.

but i thought porcelina would be a great last song at my funeral.

as far as you take me, that’s where i believe
      the realm of soft delusions, floating on the leaves
      on a distant shoreline, she waves her arms to me
      as all the thought police, are closing in for sleep
      the dilly dally, of my bright lit stay
      the steam of my misfortunes
      has given me the power to be afraid
      and in my mind i’m everyone
      and in my mind
      without a care in this whole world
      without a care in this life
      it’s what you take that makes it right
      porcelina of the oceans blue
      in the slipstream, of thoughtless thoughts
      the light of all that’s good, the light of all that’s true
      to the fringes gladly, i walk unadorned
      with gods and their creations
      with filth and disease
      porcelina, she waits for me there
      with seashell hissing lullabyes
      and whispers fathomed deep inside my own
      hidden thoughts and alibis
      my secret thoughts come alive
      without a care in this whole world
      without a care in this life
      it’s what you take that makes it right
      and in my mind i’m everyone
      in my mind i’m everyone of you
      you make it right
      it’s all allright
      you make it right
      porcelina of the oceans blue

Arthur
      Spectator

"you know i’m not dead". i think it is funny, but i don’t think other people would.[/quote:32j0mcit]
      I definately would have a little smile on my face about that, while attending your funeral. I would think it’s extremely funny. :lol:

And yeah, I have thought about an all SP ceremony also, but it wouldn’t do justice to my wider taste I guess.

Anonymous
      Spectator

Soma rules!!! I need SP in my ear right now…

amnesia
      Spectator

Soma is a masterpiece,great lyrics great music.Its playing on my Winamp now, its been while since i listen to it

i have had the everlasting gaze stuck in my head all morning.

Anonymous
      Spectator

I have had Pissant stuck in my head for a few days now….

blueczarina
      Spectator

i thought about the everlasting gaze, but that might be too fucked up. "you know i’m not dead". i think it is funny, but i don’t think other people would.[/quote:noelg7tp]

i would find it funny :lol: :wink:

i currently have no funeral plans, so i don’t know what i would want to play although now i have Porcelina stuck in my head just from thinking about it. :P

i just thought break it out right after they say super nice stuff about me. it would really shake things up. but it would be fucked up, and i don’t think the funeral people would think it was funny either.

but when i went to the funeral for the lady who lived accross the street from me, it was all pink with tons of flowers, it was kinda nice, but kinda looked like a brothel, but i didn’t say so. but if she (the lady who died) had seen it, she would hve died again, after yelling at her kids. she was a really neat lady, but about a year ago she got really bad wit the althzimers, we have lived accross from her for 7 years, and she was forgetting my name, and we visited her every day for 7 years. so you know it was getting bad.

and they sang a really dumb hymn at her funeral, she would have been mad at that too, that is why i am making all the plans now. plus i think i will make it mandatory that everyone wear black, and have a list, like at a club, and if you’re not on the list you can’t come. that would be funny too, have bouncers at your funeral. hehe

Marcella
      Spectator

Ahaha, bouncers :lol:. I just imagined all this people outside on line and the bouncer asking for ID’s to enter your funeral.

natascha
      Spectator

soma is the best…it is more then just a song…
      about soma:…does anyone know -brave new world-? take some soma…

Ahaha, bouncers :lol:. I just imagined all this people outside on line and the bouncer asking for ID’s to enter your funeral.[/quote:3mo6ax66]

that is what i want, people clammoring to get in!

manillascissor
      Keymaster

about soma:…does anyone know -brave new world-? take some soma…[/quote:y52ycsw3]

What do you mean?

blueczarina
      Spectator

about soma:…does anyone know -brave new world-? take some soma…[/quote:1sw0wymt]

What do you mean?[/quote:1sw0wymt]

they take "soma" to zonk themselves out in the book Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. its some kind of drug.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soma

http://www.huxley.net/soma/somaquote.html

i have had it before, they prescribed it to me when i hurt my back years and years ago, and when i got the bottle and looked at it i was like, huh, i geuss that is what the song is named after.

Anonymous
      Spectator

soma is about prescription meds? had no idea, but then again I am not much for prescribed meds-unless absolutely necessary
      and make it the ones that knock me the funk out

those do, out like a light, at least they did me, i pulled my back way out of wack, so they gave me soma, something else and sent me to the chiropractor.

blueczarina
      Spectator

i didn’t know people actually took it. i just associated it with that book and Billy’s song.

Anonymous
      Spectator

well damn…I threw my back out of wack a few years ago and they didn’t give me soma..damn them.
      They thought I had a kidney infection at first, damn them for giving me crap pills..
      soma just sounds better than whatever shit they had me taking, but I quit taking them because I hate pills…

manillascissor
      Keymaster

well damn…I threw my back out of wack a few years ago and they didn’t give me soma..damn them.
      They thought I had a kidney infection at first, damn them for giving me crap pills..
      soma just sounds better than whatever shit they had me taking, but I quit taking them because I hate pills…[/quote:3a4ju2vm]

i’ll PM you my address. i love pills. :S

blueczarina
      Spectator

shame, shame :? we are suppose to be pumpkin dealing not drug dealing :?

:P hehe, jk- i hope :wink: :wink:

the only pills i take are bc pills, and ibeprophen. that is it. i don’t like to take any kind of pills.

Anonymous
      Spectator

I don’t drug deal…I don’t have anything worth dealing unless you want outdated pills…and 2 outdated epipens-and maybe a Machina sticker…lol

i’ll take the sticker! hehe

Anonymous
      Spectator

i’ll take the sticker! hehe[/quote:2twx0z3p]
      If I had 2 I’d give you one, but I don’t yet….

Anonymous
      Spectator

I wonder if Billy will lay Soma on this tour??
      Probably…

Doubtful-Della
      Spectator

I didn’t read through the whole thing. It’s been a while since I’ve thought about funeral songs. I do know that instead of a sermon or eulogy whatever they are called… I just want a 45 minute slideshow. Remember all the good times… not sit there and dwell on missing me.

Dying doesn’t scare me… but the thought of not knowing does. Not knowing what my loved ones are going through, who went to my funeral, who really misses me, who forgets me, how they cope. Those thoughts scare me.

Viewing 29 reply threads

The forum ‘Philosophical Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.