http://hipstersunited.com/blog/archives … l#comments

Pipoka
      Spectator

GLOW

[url:114bvkmq]http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=e–yByly6jc[/url:114bvkmq]

so what do you think about it?

SIVA -> really cool

[url:114bvkmq]http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=aSwSRmCm5pI[/url:114bvkmq]

Sorry but the youtube thing is not working…

Arthur
      Spectator

Sorry but the youtube thing is not working…[/quote:exbn2uha]
      Pipoka, if you change "br.youtube" to "www.youtube" and put it between the Youtube tags, it will work.

G.L.O.W., not bad, but I have to hear it again in a decent quality I guess. It rocks, it’s not that much a quiet song, makes me happy anyway. I love the Pumpkins rockers more! :wink:

Siva is cool, awesome performance. I hope we get that available soon on The Zomb.

blueczarina
      Spectator

holy crap, :P i so wish i could watch it, but i’m at work. :cry:

the suspense is killing me. :wink: i think its neat they did Siva though. that will be cool to hear again. :)

Pipoka
      Spectator

Sorry but the youtube thing is not working…[/quote:3ek8ky2j]
      Pipoka, if you change "br.youtube" to "www.youtube" and put it between the Youtube tags, it will work.

G.L.O.W., not bad, but I have to hear it again in a decent quality I guess. It rocks, it’s not that much a quiet song, makes me happy anyway. I love the Pumpkins rockers more! :wink:

Siva is cool, awesome performance. I hope we get that available soon on The Zomb.[/quote:3ek8ky2j]

thanks !

Yeah i like it too, but can’t wait to hear a quality version ! :D

Arthur
      Spectator

In the meantime, while we wait for Reggealuv2000’s review, here’s already one from US newspaper Quad City Times.

Smashing Pumpkins open 2008 U.S. tour at Adler
      By Thomas Grundmeier | Saturday, August 9, 2008 2:05 AM

The Smashing Pumpkins kicked off their 2008 U.S. tour in the Adler Theatre in Davenport Friday night to a sold-out crowd.

The Pumpkins curiously have not returned to hometown Chicago since their 2006 reunion, even though Billy Corgan announced the reunion in the Chicago Sun-Times the year before.

Now entering its 20th year, the band is currently in its third major revision, this time retaining only front man Corgan and drummer Jimmy Chamberlin.

Replacing guitarist James Iha was Jeff Schroeder, and filling D’arcy Wretzky’s boots was the suitably sultry Ginger Reyes. Both are fine musicians, but the real centerpiece of the band has always been Corgan, who was in fine form Friday night.

Sporting his silver \"999\" jersey and matching reflective kilt, Corgan soaked up all the attention on stage with his quirky gestures and shredding guitar solos. And it should be mentioned that after 20 years, Corgan’s distinctive piercing voice is no worse for the wear.

Early in the night, the Pumpkins debuted a new track, \"G.L.O.W.,\" which will be released as a single next month. An early highlight was a triumphant performance of \"Mayonnaise,\" from the group’s second album.

Halfway through the set, the band took to the front of the stage in a more intimate setting, with Chamberlin at a smaller trap set and keyboardist Lisa Harriton at a Rhodes piano. Corgan grabbed an acoustic guitar and played a beautiful version \"Once Upon a Time\"from the 1998 album \"Adore.\"

After a too-short set of acoustic songs, the band took their normal positions as Corgan let the crowd know his views on politics (he doesn’t care for them) and the status of the band (they’re here to stay).

The Pumpkins then launched into two live staples: \"Today\" and \"Bullet With Butterfly Wings.\" Corgan was more than happy to let the crowd sing the opening verse of \"Today,\" and \"Bullet\" got the crowd on their feet and moving around like no other song in the night.

That was followed by the non-album track, \"The End Is the Beginning Is the End,\" currently featured in the theatrical trailer for the upcoming comic-book film \"Watchmen.\"

The crowd was very receptive of material from the ’90s, but was more split as the band meandered through a handful of metal songs, such as \"Heavy Metal Machine.\" For every headbanger in the crowd, there were three more standing perfectly still.

The Pumpkins have a huge library of songs to perform live, and songs from just about every era showed up in Davenport. Corgan and company continue to please their fans by refusing to do a \"greatest hits\" show and instead drawing from their extensive catalogue.

1) They misspelled ‘Mayonaise’

2) TBITEITB is used in the Watchmen trailer, not TEITBITE

Because of those two points, a pretty poor review in my opinion.

hahaha. you have to be kidding me.

Arthur
      Spectator

Well, at least I ithink I can confirm it was sold out, so that part was true. When I tried to get tickets almost a week ago (just for fun, no intention to go :wink: ) I could get 2, but not 8 anymore.

And freaks would say it’s not the third but fourth \"major revision\", thinking about the period that they played with a drummachine in 1987/1988 before Jimmy joined the band. Ah well, I wouldn’t go that far. OK, I’m a freak sometimes, but not this time. :wink:

blueczarina
      Spectator

thats so funny. they need to get their facts straight. :wink: i don’t think Billy in his \"matching reflective kilt\" would approve. :wink:

blueczarina
      Spectator

thats so funny. they need to get their facts straight. :wink: i don’t think Billy in his "matching reflective kilt" would approve. :wink: :lol: [/quote:173koq4h]

i don’t think billy really cares that much if a journalist gives a song like the beginning is the end is the beginning the wrong name.

i already posted this on another thread, but now i think this link belongs here. mp3s of the full show: http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=5b9b … 57edd16f2a

blueczarina
      Spectator

yeah, he probably doesn’t care. :wink:

what the hell is up with my post. it double posted and one quoted my own post. :shock: :lol:

i guess i really agreed with me yesterday. :lol:

what the hell is up with my post. it double posted and one quoted my own post. :shock: :lol:

i guess i really agreed with me yesterday. :lol:[/quote:ir4a8ru0]
      you probably decided to edit your post, but instead of "edit", you clicked the "quote" button. and didn’t notice.

blueczarina
      Spectator

oh, probably. i have to be sneaky at my job to be here and sometimes i don’t watch were i’m clicking. :wink:

Arthur
      Spectator

Here’s the full setlist of 2008/08/08 with rehearsel info (found on SPLRA.org).

http://www.spfreaks.com/Default.aspx?pa … locid=1169

i can’t wait to hear G.L.O.W. and siva.

Anonymous
      Spectator

Well that’s a shitty review. I was sitting by someone who was writing a review, but his started off as The Smashing Pumpkins are a unique band! Had all kinds of stuff written before the show started.
      It said sold out, but I saw a few empty seat-the one right next to me was empty.
      People who left to smoke, couldn’t get let back in. Happened to my brother and hubby-dumb asses. 3 hours-people couldn’t wait 3 hours wtf?
      I think that’s where the drunk guy in front of me went-which I am happy to see gone-he was just a SD fan anyway.

Billy put on a really great show! Lisa jammed her ass off. Ginger rocked. Jeff seemed too calm. Jimmy, well he rocks ass!
      The whole entire set list was spectacular! I could go without listening to Today or BWBW.

The last song blew me away-who would have EVER thought they would use kazoos! I had the biggest smile I could possibly get!
      Felt like I was going through 20 years of SP in 3 hours-wish it was longer-it goes by fast

There was a mix of fans young and old. Got hit on a few times while walking to a bar after the show-

Glass was super cool, Set the Controls was AMAZING
      Dammit the whole show was amazing!!
      You will NOT be disappointed. Totally a must see. I feel bad for the people over seas who can’t get a taste of this show. I did sit by a woman from France.
      I need an SPfreaks shirt for next time

Their set list was almost a spot on match for our little contest -so now I need to switch it up I think-
      Great minds know great music!

I am officially hooked on SP shows. I liked this touring small towns stuff. I hope they do it here sometime.
      Cute little town and went to the Irish bar afterward!
      I was completely blown away. I would say they are the Beatles of this generation-hands down! :D

I had a dream in April about a concert that had a water fountain type thingy in front-and The Adler had a water fountain thing directly across the street! Not a big deal to you guys, but to me it was!!!

Anonymous
      Spectator

One more thing
      Did I forget to mention

THE PUMPKINS ARE BACK FULL FORCE

amnesia
      Spectator

Well that’s a shitty review. I was sitting by someone who was writing a review, but his started off as The Smashing Pumpkins are a unique band! Had all kinds of stuff written before the show started.
      It said sold out, but I saw a few empty seat-the one right next to me was empty.
      People who left to smoke, couldn’t get let back in. Happened to my brother and hubby-dumb asses. 3 hours-people couldn’t wait 3 hours wtf?
      I think that’s where the drunk guy in front of me went-which I am happy to see gone-he was just a SD fan anyway.

Billy put on a really great show! Lisa jammed her ass off. Ginger rocked. Jeff seemed too calm. Jimmy, well he rocks ass!
      The whole entire set list was spectacular! I could go without listening to Today or BWBW.

The last song blew me away-who would have EVER thought they would use kazoos! I had the biggest smile I could possibly get!
      Felt like I was going through 20 years of SP in 3 hours-wish it was longer-it goes by fast

There was a mix of fans young and old. Got hit on a few times while walking to a bar after the show-

Glass was super cool, Set the Controls was AMAZING
      Dammit the whole show was amazing!!
      You will NOT be disappointed. Totally a must see. I feel bad for the people over seas who can’t get a taste of this show. I did sit by a woman from France.
      I need an SPfreaks shirt for next time

Their set list was almost a spot on match for our little contest -so now I need to switch it up I think-
      Great minds know great music!

I am officially hooked on SP shows. I liked this touring small towns stuff. I hope they do it here sometime.
      Cute little town and went to the Irish bar afterward!
      I was completely blown away. I would say they are the Beatles of this generation-hands down! :D

I had a dream in April about a concert that had a water fountain type thingy in front-and The Adler had a water fountain thing directly across the street! Not a big deal to you guys, but to me it was!!![/quote:82niwn8i]

Nice review Reggae.I think its really cool there were young ppl at the show.Seems to me every time they do somehing new the fanbase just grows abit and i think thats very great.I kinda envy you guys whos going to see them live or have seen them allready, i just wish they would visit Europe again soon.I´ve never seen SP live before,reason is the fan base in Denmark is huge and all there concerts here are sold out within 5 min, and we are not talking about 500 tickets,no no. Its more like 1000-2000 tickets sold in 5 min.Last year they played twice here in Denmark, both time sold out withing 5 min.

well, i have never gotten to see them live either, so i am so excited about tuesday, holy shit it is tomarow.

i am way excited for this show. and it will be even cooler cause last rose and i get to sit by eachother.

amnesia
      Spectator

well, i have never gotten to see them live either, so i am so excited about tuesday, holy shit it is tomarow.

i am way excited for this show. and it will be even cooler cause last rose and i get to sit by eachother.[/quote:1xfkjoor]

I so wish it was me who was going to see them tomorrow Bullett.Have a blast :wink:

Arthur
      Spectator

One more thing
      Did I forget to mention

THE PUMPKINS ARE BACK FULL FORCE[/quote:3tflt1sh]
      I think so too. This setlist is amazing, and though the quality of the MP3 we got here is so-so, it’s still a huge listening pleasure. Lucky you over there, seeing these shows! Rock on! 8)

Marcella
      Spectator

Agh, that sounds absolutely amazing Reggae. I’m so glad you rocked your ass off just like I told you :D. Was there a lot of contact from Billy with the crowd? To me, that has to be the best part.

Anonymous
      Spectator

Yeah he ranted…This time, this show, just seems so special!!!
      I can honestly say they are a Beatles type for this generation.
      That’s how much I value their music.
      Best shit I have seen at any type of concert.

blueczarina
      Spectator

here is more photos

http://www.smashingpumpkins.com/news_5292

including one that proves Jimmy also wears short pants and striped socks :wink:

blueczarina
      Spectator

and here is a Chicago Tribune review put up on sp.com

http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/ … 2349.story

maybe he was out of socks and said

\"billy do you have any socks i can borow?

and billy said

\"sure, they are all striped though.\"

and the jimmy said

\"it’s cool, just not the purple and pink ones, ok.\"

blueczarina
      Spectator

that could be bullet :lol:

Viewing 29 reply threads

The forum ‘Touring & Concert’ is closed to new topics and replies.