Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author

manillascissor
      Spectator

i heard jill talk about this on the last hu opdcast, i don’t have time to read it right now, but i did see the thing about the fanbase being younger again. i don’t really agree with billy on that. but more on that later.

Arthur
      Spectator

I was just reading that yeah… The best BC/JC interview thing I have read in years, really!

The way Billy answers to Sven is unbelievable honest, if you ask me. Sven must have touched something there.

i can’t wait to read the rest.

i reread what billy said about the fans, and i don’t think he is exactly wrong, i just think that maybe he is mistaken. alot of older fans still love them, there are the certin few who are upset with the direction things are going, but as they said in the interview, they have to change, it is the artists evolution. everything changes, and to be upset for people to grow as an artist is silly. i got off track, but i do think they are gaining new younger fans, but most people who were fans way back when still love the band and make up an older demographic.

i think i just confused myself.

but good interview, i did love sven’s question and billy & jimmy’s answer.

Anonymous
      Spectator

Yup-sounds pretty honest to me. Well how about realistically honest

Im a Cult Hero
      Spectator

I think in one of the earlier articles in this series they talk about negativity on the SP online community, that it is in fact a loud minority who complain, but are still in fact fans who buy releases and attend concerts.
      Perhaps Billy didn’t read that and assumes those ppl reflect the majority of the older fans?

Arthur
      Spectator

I think he’s honestly telling what is his experience. There are many fans that young. There are fans that think Adore is their best album, there are fans that jumped on the train of Pumpkins’ rock with Zeitgeist. And why shouldn’t it be like that? Look at our forum here, and take 20 or something of them that are around more than a few times. They are 14-20 years old, they are around the 30’s and there’s a small 40+ group (Billy’s age). I seriously think that when you are disappointed with a new direction of a certain band, then stick to what you like, give their latest album away, and move on. Just like the band is doing. That’s life. But whining and being rude brings nobody anywhere.

And talking about that negativity, it’s probably like football. Put 40,000 football fans in a stadium, and 400 hooligans can spoil the whole game, if they are not being \"moderated\". Thing is, on an open forum you can’t put the hooligans in a fenced cage that easily. Here, we kick them away, or distract them with 21+ threads… :wink: The Pumpkins can’t do that that easily I presume. They should find a way to moderate a little more, and still keep in touch with the fans, because that’s what they love to do, that hasn’t changed since the early days. I think these latest articles from newly hired PMM members from between the fans are a good thing.

Arthur
      Spectator

I just re-read a few pieces of the interview, and couldn’t help but noticing this:

Rating: 5.0/5 (23 votes cast)

It supports my considerations, I guess.

I think in one of the earlier articles in this series they talk about negativity on the SP online community, that it is in fact a loud minority who complain, but are still in fact fans who buy releases and attend concerts.
      Perhaps Billy didn’t read that and assumes those ppl reflect the majority of the older fans?[/quote:2vqx71ya]

They reflect the older fans because they’re the loudest of the older fans. They’re the ones who are getting the attention of the people they may be complaining about.

Think of it like this – Billy is standing in front of 1000 fans, and all the fans are quietly talking amongst themselves, whilst looking at Billy. Billy is too far away, and there are too many voices to discern an opinion. Then one fan in the middle of the crowd yells "Zeitgeist was shit!", their voice carrying out over the quiet murmurs. This is the only clear voice Billy hears.

That’s my hypothesis anyway.

Anonymous
      Spectator

I am happy to say I am one of those votes.
      I bet the ones guilty of whining/negativity didn’t vote :lol:

i think what i got from it, was billy thought that the older fans didn’t like them anymore, and that the younger ones were the larger part of the fanbase now, but i think it is a good mix of the two.

and yes i think that the negative voices are louder, online and in person. why can’t those people just move on like arthur said, why bring everyone else down?

blueczarina
      Spectator

yeah, i think there is still a good mix of older and newer fans, but there really are a lot of younger fans- look at thepumpkins.net. we keep going back to the fact that we are all pretty young on there- teens to 20’s- most of the forum. i must say though i don’t think most of the younger fans on thepumpkins.net weren’t roped in by Zeitgeist from what i can tell. it was still SD, MCIS, etc and many of us are still a bit jaded some like older fans regardless of the age thing. it all really depends on how you define young fan though. there is the young fan who was a kid in the 90’s but heard the pumpkins and loved them as much as any other hardcore fan and the young fan who is just now discovering the band through Zeitgeist. so even there its not so clear cut. a young fan in terms of age can still be an old fan of sorts.

it was a good bit though from Billy and Jimmy. :wink:

manillascissor
      Keymaster

Think of it like this – Billy is standing in front of 1000 fans, and all the fans are quietly talking amongst themselves, whilst looking at Billy. Billy is too far away, and there are too many voices to discern an opinion. Then one fan in the middle of the crowd yells "Zeitgeist was shit!", their voice carrying out over the quiet murmurs. This is the only clear voice Billy hears.

That’s my hypothesis anyway.[/quote:122a7cxi]

Wow, that made me :lol:

Viewing 12 reply threads

The forum ‘General’ is closed to new topics and replies.