Viewing 85 reply threads
  • Author

confuciousconfusing
      Spectator

This song titled \"FOL\" is supposed to come out on a Hyundai Commercial during the Super Bowl.

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/i … ank-black/

Pipoka
      Spectator

Yes i knew it, but only that.. no more details about it

Kuumar
      Spectator

Do you think it’s going to be just a 30 second new song? or a whole new song?

I guess no more albums :( This is how its going to be. A new song every so often months

Pipoka
      Spectator

I don’t know but i don’t believe they will do 30sec song for a commercial.
      I think it’s a new song that will be used on the commercial.

Just wondering what \"FOL\" means… :roll:

Kuumar
      Spectator

well i heard it was going to be played in the background of the commercial for the whole 30 seconds. How would it sound? how does a car commercial sound?

manillascissor
      Keymaster

car commercials use songs ALL THE TIME. this isn’t that big of news really.

i think FOL stands for Freak On a Leash.

Marcella
      Spectator

I think it stands for Fuck Off Loserdude124

blueczarina
      Spectator

nice one Marce ^^ :lol:

i will be at work when it comes on. i’m sure the superbowl will be on in the waiting room though so i will see it.

and if someone comes into the ER dying when it comes on they will have to wait for the pumpkins. 8)

Doubtful-Della
      Spectator

Just like anything they do, the 30 sec clip gave me goosebumps

Danni
      Spectator

Ah man. Billy, just go back to releasing vinyls again…. :roll:

I think it stands for Fuck Off Loserdude124[/quote:1t3y2vmr]
      I was thinking exactly the same thing. This can’t be a coincidence. So it’s official now.

ObscureD
      Spectator

this song sucks… :cry:

amnesia
      Spectator

this song sucks… :cry:[/quote:2q9l2ax2]

:?: :?: :?:

What you mean by that.

Is it released on the internet or what ?

Or did i just miss the whole point :P

amnesia
      Spectator

Ah man. Billy, just go back to releasing vinyls again…. :roll:[/quote:321qtov9]

I hear you, billy and jimmi should head back in to the studios and make us a new album, but i doubt that will ever happiend again. :(

Arthur
      Spectator

It can be listened already here.

http://spin.com/articles/sneak-peek-sma … -bowl-song

I think it’s not bad at all. The distorted guitar makes me long for the whole song.

i loved the little bit that was on the comercial. made me want a whole song.

i don’t know why everyone has to get all up in arms over a comercial, oh and it is called feel our love.

Kuumar
      Spectator

The audio quality sucks, I’m just gonna have to listen to the real commercial.

jawn till dusk
      Spectator

I’m not generally one to say a Pumpkins track is good when its not,but that sounds promising!

In saying that,if that is the chorus/main hook or whatever,then it’s a bit flat…..like G.L.O.W.

In saying that(part two),G.L.O.W. is at it’s best for that 1 min outro!

:?
      :lol:
      :?:

Sorry.(vodka and redbull).

Tion
      Spectator

the first time i heard it it reminded me of glow, too.
      got the same/similar power and noise//drumsequence….

i watched the commercial a dozen times….sound quality sucks, song rocks!! :P

has anyone heard the whole song? (there is a whole song, right??)

blueczarina
      Spectator

i like the sound of it. it is a bit GLOW, but it sounds cool no less. i want to hear the rest though. :wink:

Doubtful-Della
      Spectator

I love the people who say it sucks and it is heartless…. come on… the song was written for a commercial… for a CAR
      It’s not like he’s going to be pining away for lost love or writing some intricate puzzle of words over a car ;)

Anonymous
      Spectator

I fricken loved the 30 seconds of what I heard. Well if you count replays then it’s was a few minutes worth:lol:
      Well anyhoot, me and another Pumpkin head thought it had a Machina II vibe to it. I can;t wait to get the whole song
      Billy :?: hello whole song soon please.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

It has a total Zeitgeist vibe to it, and I hate Zeitgeist for the most part.

However, I’m digging this song.

:?:

Marcella
      Spectator

It’s a bit repetitive for my taste but still, I can’t judge unless I hear the whole thing =).

i agree with you marce, i don’t think a 30 second clip is enough to judge the song by. i liked what i heard but i want to hear the whole thing too.

and as far as it being written for a car commercial, my theory is that billy would still write something with meaning, even if it is for a car commercial i think he would still write from his heart.

Doubtful-Della
      Spectator

i agree with you marce, i don’t think a 30 second clip is enough to judge the song by. i liked what i heard but i want to hear the whole thing too.

and as far as it being written for a car commercial, my theory is that billy would still write something with meaning, even if it is for a car commercial i think he would still write from his heart.[/quote:2djihkta]

I agree with both of these thoughts…. what I meant was more that the 30 seconds wouldn’t reflect his style of writing

Sven
      Spectator

First-

Do we KNOW this track WAS written for the ad?
      Hyundai enlisted TSP to track the ad…
      So?
      Why the fuck wouldn’t BC and JC pull a non-finished jam from the Zeitgeist-sessions (indeed: it sounds quite a lot like GLOW) and then sell it for the ad?
      Basically that’s in line with the press-release, isn’t it?

Or- secondly-

Do we BELIEVE or KNOW BC and JC (and possible others) went into the studio to record this song?

I just don’t buy it-
      For me-
      It’s like Hyundai wanted TSP-
      TSP had a left-over track which wasn’t too bad when tailored to 30 secs-
      This edit was sold-
      Hyundai happy – TSP happy (and somewhat money earned, deservedly) – plus: some publicity gained!
      Fair deal on both parts –
      Tadah!

The song just doesn’t seem to match the vibe of the images or anything-
      It’s a score to the ad and that’s that-
      And that’s what the press release tells us-
      It DOESN’T however EXPLICITELY say so the song was commisioned and written and recorded for the ad—-

So, well yeah, some 30 secs of unheard material-
      That’s all folks-
      And Hyundai happy and TSP happy and merry and some marketing bonus points!
      Clever move-
      But I just don’t think this was MADE for the ad-
      But that’s just my idea of this all—-

Danni
      Spectator

Found it alright. Well I must admit it sounds probably ten times better than G.L.O.W even for the 30 seconds.

Here it is: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=y0ydCe1TH1k

ObscureD
      Spectator

This song is like GLOW with a lot of \"come on… come on…\" and I don’t like Billy’s voice (a quiet voice with a punchy music)

amnesia
      Spectator

I so want to hear the whole song, it sounds really good and i like Billys quiet voice. 8)

blueczarina
      Spectator

i like Billy’s quiet voice too :wink:

Doubtful-Della
      Spectator

Sven,
      HipstersUnited quoted from http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/hyundai-kicks-off-super-bowl/story.aspx?guid={6EAF9955-5BC0-4583-92C8-83F25576E5A2}&dist=msr_8

\"The Smashing Pumpkins band members and cellist Yo-Yo Ma will each perform songs to accompany uniquely edited 30-second spots, tailored to their brand of music by editor Hank Corwin. Hyundai selected the Smashing Pumpkins spot to be featured immediately before the kick off of Super Bowl XLIII on Sunday, February 1, 2009.\"

It sounds to me like the song was made for the commercial and not just a leftover
      This is just my opinion from what I’ve read so far

I do agree with the above post that it has a GLOW feel, especially with the \"come on come on\"

blueczarina
      Spectator

i don’t know. it does sound very GLOW very Zeitgeist. and that quote in the above post makes it sound like the images were edited to the music.

Marcella
      Spectator

I don’t really think we’re going to get to hear the whole thing…It’s pessimist of my part but that’s the vibe I’m getting.

Doubtful-Della
      Spectator

I don’t really think we’re going to get to hear the whole thing…It’s pessimist of my part but that’s the vibe I’m getting.[/quote:uf65uh80]

You’ll be able to download the whole thing tomorrow on the car’s website. When you go to watch the video if you hover over it, you’ll see a small text appear at the bottom right that says "download this song" it’s a 7mb file, but you can’t download it until Feb 1

Doubtful-Della
      Spectator

i don’t know. it does sound very GLOW very Zeitgeist. and that quote in the above post makes it sound like the images were edited to the music.[/quote:349o7ctr]

Yeah, I went back to the website and what they did was film the car driving around, and then let the people crop and cut and reorganize the video themselves. You can do it too

blueczarina
      Spectator

"download this song" it’s a 7mb file, but you can’t download it until Feb 1[/quote:262nnzah]

the song huh? 7 MB- sounds promising. maybe the full song?

Doubtful-Della
      Spectator

"download this song" it’s a 7mb file, but you can’t download it until Feb 1[/quote:1dnxpnxh]

the song huh? 7 MB- sounds promising. maybe the full song?[/quote:1dnxpnxh]

http://www.hyundaigenesis.com/coupe/def … RL=gallery

It took me a couple tries to get the text to show up

blueczarina
      Spectator

sure enough- kick ass! :P

Marcella
      Spectator

Well that’s definitely good.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

"download this song" it’s a 7mb file, but you can’t download it until Feb 1[/quote:197l8dmq]

the song huh? 7 MB- sounds promising. maybe the full song?[/quote:197l8dmq]

It took me a couple tries to get the text to show up[/quote:197l8dmq]

I just tried making my own edit, but the fucking browser or my connection can’t keep up, so I have no clue what it’s really doing. Shame, I would have really tried to edit something awesome.

Doubtful-Della
      Spectator

"download this song" it’s a 7mb file, but you can’t download it until Feb 1[/quote:2dxjopcg]

the song huh? 7 MB- sounds promising. maybe the full song?[/quote:2dxjopcg]

It took me a couple tries to get the text to show up[/quote:2dxjopcg]

I just tried making my own edit, but the fucking browser or my connection can’t keep up, so I have no clue what it’s really doing. Shame, I would have really tried to edit something awesome.[/quote:2dxjopcg]

Mine is spazzing out right now too. I keep having to restart everything… but it’s probably because my husband is on my laptop gaming online and taking up all our bandwidth

some pumpkins
      Spectator

this song is either old or new, but was not written FOR the ccommercial. they did the same thing for thats the way in the ford focus commercials, like a year ago. you dont put old songs in commercials, unless they are old hits that everybody can recognize. i think its clearly for promoting a new song.

Pipoka
      Spectator

this song is either old or new, but was not written FOR the ccommercial. they did the same thing for thats the way in the ford focus commercials, like a year ago. you dont put old songs in commercials, unless they are old hits that everybody can recognize. i think its clearly for promoting a new song.[/quote:10yzgxp1]

exactely… like manilla said, this is nothing new
      i have to hear it ! i have been so busy…

*edit*

didn’t saw the previous page with the links… :lol:
      just heard it and i can’t say that i like or dislike because it’s just 30 seconds!!! but it doesn’t sound bad… can’t wait to have the full version.

Danni
      Spectator

Smashing Pumpkins 2009 Hyundai Tour is brought to you by Hyundai Genesis and Kentucky Fried Chickens!

Anonymous
      Spectator

I can’t wait to hear the whole song!!

Arthur
      Spectator

Smashing Pumpkins 2009 Hyundai Tour is brought to you by Hyundai Genesis and Kentucky Fried Chickens![/quote:2ja7fssg]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Danni
      Spectator

So when and were can you download FOL?

Im a Cult Hero
      Spectator

So when and were can you download FOL?[/quote:2t0f888o]

[url:2t0f888o]http://download.hyundaigenesis.com/RegistrationPage.aspx?downloadfilename=billy.mp3[/url:2t0f888o]

I’m not really too fond of it TBH, the vocals feel a bit passionless, but the melody is catchy *shrugs* it’s ok, I’d like to hear it live before I really make a call on it though.

amnesia
      Spectator

Cant get the link to work, probo overload, but thanks Cult Hero. :wink:

Anonymous
      Spectator

I love it :)
      Sounds great! Mayo I hope you get it to work soon :)

amnesia
      Spectator

I love it :)
      Sounds great! Mayo I hope you get it to work soon :)[/quote:7e9li9yk]

Yay got it, i FUCKING LOVE IT!!!!
      I think its better then Glow, even though Glow kicked serious ass, this is just to good.

Only minus its fucking short.

blueczarina
      Spectator

i won’t have it for at least 5 or 6 more hours :( damn my job :?

Anonymous
      Spectator

i won’t have it for at least 5 or 6 more hours :( damn my job :?[/quote:2kkhjy4v]

:x :x
      how about this?
      It’s a damn good song blue..damn good

amnesia
      Spectator

That sucks Blue, feel sorry for you honey. :(

I have it on replay on my winamp, 5 times so far and still counting. :wink:

blueczarina
      Spectator

it does suck :x but i will have it on my ipod by the end of the day :wink: so i should focus on the bright side

Daysofthephoenix
      Spectator

I’m downloading it now but it won’t be done downloading for a while since I have dial-up.
      Curse my wait.

I hope it’s as good as you guys say it is. :)

some pumpkins
      Spectator

what a catchy ass song! i love the transition from the fast to slow tempos

Anonymous
      Spectator

Oh blue, I do feel for you :(

blueczarina
      Spectator

Oh blue, I do feel for you :([/quote:3jce0qsv]

i know! i feel like i need some pity. :( everybody has heard it but me. :( i will feel better when i get home though. :wink:

manillascissor
      Keymaster

i just saw it on tv! cool! 8)

some pumpkins
      Spectator

Oh blue, I do feel for you :([/quote:1n93sb2j]

i know! i feel like i need some pity. :( everybody has heard it but me. :( i will feel better when i get home though. :wink:[/quote:1n93sb2j]

it’ll put you in a good mood after you hear it blue. i think im rooting or the cardinals

blueczarina
      Spectator

i’m sure it will :wink:

Anonymous
      Spectator

looks like the Steelers might have this game!!

blueczarina
      Spectator

YAY! FINALLY I GET TO FEEL THE LOVE!!!!! i’m home and i’m listening to the new song. :D :D :D :D :D :D

i like it! its catchy :D

Marcella
      Spectator

Very catchy indeed! I do feel there’s something lacking in the vocals but I’m one exigent little brat. :lol:

AND HOORAY !!!

Sven
      Spectator

now that’s the full song has been released-

referring back to my post questioning if this song was commisioned for, written and recorded for, whatever… the Hyunadia-ad…
      i think we can now clearly and sufficiently conclude or at least assume THAT wasn’t the case—-

Fear of Love (FOL) has nothing to do at the content level with the ad or whatever-

Fear of Love (FOL) however to me does sound like a latter day Zeitgeist song-
      I just wouldn’t say – based on the sound and feel of FOH this is a pure Zeitgeist out-take-
      However— FOH kinda lacks the bitter anger and spite and vitriol of Superchrist and GLOW—-

Somehow I tend to kinda somehow, somewhere see FOH fit into the true but latter day Zeitgeist sessions-

So-
      1- I’d say FOL was NOT recorded AFTER Zeitgeist and/or the Zeitgeist sessions-
      2- I’d say FOL was NOT recorded like GLOW and Superchrist after the album, but somewhere with the album tracks-
      3- I’d say FOL was, if NOT recorded with the album tracks, recorded in one flow with either GLOW or Superchrist…. it’s a stomper, a jam, a flow of sorts… it DOES reminder me somewhat of the 1996/1997-era and riffs like in the Pastichio Medley, parts of which were rehashed for GLOW, weren’t they?
      4- I’d say— whenever, wherever (I’m trying to figure this out though and maybe I’m succesful and you’ll read something about it on the PMM-section of SP.com, working on it, just don’t COUNT on it…) FOL was recorded and all— what we see and hear now is, apart from GLOW (which DID get a digital official download release through standard download outlets), the fist instance of a TSP song being released totally devoid of any normal music industry way of distribution and thus this maybe a pointer towards the future—-

So-
      Apart from my mourned lack of a physical release format-
      I totally mourn the lack of liner notes and credits-
      So maybe we’ll learn something about the genises and recording of FOL soon-
      Or maybe we as SPFreaks will have to content ourselves with the sounds—-
      As we started out all along-
      And bear the burden of the public at large’s non-interest in formats, figures, credits and whatever-
      And thus bear the burder of SPFreaks’s lack of hard info on this song’s recording et al….

Well-
      Still—-
      For me it all started with the sound-
      For me FOL still brings me the NEW sound of TSP-
      Which means TSP is still alive and kicking-
      And thus moving now and into a new future-
      Thus-
      As much as I think FOL is NOT a totally awesome song (yet way more rocking than a lot of the \"new\" or residency songs!!!) it proces TSP is here and now and alive and moving and breathing and releasing and forging ahead in creativity – either if FOL proves to be genuine NEW song or if FOL proves to be a shelved Zeitgeist-track; in the form of release of FOL….

All credit so still and above all to TSP for the release of FOL!!!

Wait and see what happens next-
      Something tells me we just ain’t seen nothing yet in the ways of TSP getting their creativity and sound(s) out there-
      Bringing it all back to where it all started with-
      Bringing it all back to where TSP has always at the core and heart and soul’s been about—-

THE SOUND!!!!
      And nothing but it ;))))

And-
      Apart from our freaky collections-
      Aren’t we above all in liove with the sound?
      So-
      There you have it- surprise surprise totally—-
      A NEW FULL SONG!!!—-

Enjoy?!!!!

Doubtful-Della
      Spectator

I had a really crappy night,
      So getting to finally download this has made me at least feel better.
      I like this song better than GLOW. I think it has more movement, more shifts in the sound. I agree that there are a few flat parts, but the overall feeling makes me want to get up and move. I’ve love to hear this one live!

Im a Cult Hero
      Spectator

It took a lot of listens, but the song has grown on me, I like it a lot more now, it won’t be making my fave pumpkin songs list any time soon, but it will probably be stuck in my head for some time :)

Anonymous
      Spectator

Have to agree with Sven it’s definitely got that Pumpkins sound going on!!!
      Love it still. I went to bed last night listening to it and keep replaying it, so I didn’t get to bed for about 45 minutes later…

some pumpkins
      Spectator

nice blog sven. only one thing. i think its \"feel\" our love

Shannen
      Spectator

I only listen to a tiny piece of it this morning. And FINALLY I get to listen to the whole piece from youtube.com. I find it a bit cheesy with the repitition – no offence!

– P E A C E –

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHyqMdBGoas[/youtube]

Marcella
      Spectator

I agree in the repetition part. Don’t take me wrong, I LOVE to hear new stuff but repetition is that one thing that can make me dislike a song. Luckily this is not the case; I love SP too much to hate any of their songs, old and new.

Tion
      Spectator

i hear Feel Our Love, too…
      does billy sing :\" i lick the polish crome\"..?
      FUNNY :P

Anonymous
      Spectator

well on the o-board the lyrics were posted and they say licked the polish chrome

I took these off TSP.net

I sent your love about
      I know there’s death around
      I catch the damage in the air
      I’ve got the skull and bones
      I lick the polished chrome
      There’s magic everywhere

Can I please just talk to you
      Feelings deep and draining blue
      A useless line (mind)
      Come on and feel our love

Feel our love
      If love ain’t too much
      Follow the white hot sun
      What I’ve sown I’ve split in half
      Now it’s always however you impart
      Love is always on fire

A single cross to bear
      The TV crews are there
      Where we want with dirty knives
      The night begins a waste
      It’s all a bit too fake
      Someone kill the lights

Famine’s something I can do
      Towers splits I haven’t used
      If I want I can’t refuse
      It’s useless now

I know there’s death above

Feel our love
      If love ain’t enough
      Follow the white hot sun
      Turn back to the one
      What I’ve sown I’ve split in half
      So now it’s always however you impart
      Love is always on fire

Feel our love
      Feel our love

Anonymous
      Spectator

Here’s the art I did for F.O.L.

Marcella
      Spectator

^ SO cool.

some pumpkins
      Spectator

very cool reggae! you’re the featured image on sp.com

amnesia
      Spectator

That art is very cool.Well done. :)

Anonymous
      Spectator

Here is one more I am going to post over there too

amnesia
      Spectator

This one is cool as well, but i like the first one a lil better. :wink:

blueczarina
      Spectator

i like the first one a little better too, but very cool. :)

Anonymous
      Spectator

I like it, but yeah I’m more fond of my other one. I was playing with their heart logo on this one :)

blueczarina
      Spectator

oh yeah, i just thought those were swirls. i see it now. :)

Pipoka
      Spectator

very cool raggae :D

Anonymous
      Spectator

Now if he will make a single for the song..and use my art for it…wishful thinking ;)
      but it would be so cool and such an honor!

Viewing 85 reply threads

The forum ‘General’ is closed to new topics and replies.