Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author

blueczarina
      Spectator

August 27, 2008 – Hello from Chicago…

Posted By
      BillyCorgan

Hello from Chicago. A few thoughts to share, if you’ll indulge. First, thanks to everyone who came out on this last tour. For me, that was the most exciting tour I’ve been on since before Jimmy left in 1996. I thought the band did a fantastic job, and I really appreciate the enthusiasm we saw towards what we were getting at. It seems like we have finally found what we have been looking for since we came back.

Secondly, I want to say openly that I am optimistic about a return to our site hosting a message board. What I would need to see is a constructive framework that would allow a whole host of thought and opinion in a positive way that brings fans together, and not further divide them. As you can see from the Media Militia writers, thoughtful opinion and criticism are welcome here.

Lastly, I would like to make a small declaration. For 20 years I have been asked ‘what kind of music do you make?’, and to be honest. I’ve never had a good answer. When I began playing seriously in 1985, there was no such thing as ‘alternative music’. It was known then as ‘new wave’. Alternative music seems to be the label that won, so I suppose that’s what we get lumped in as. Once we were New Wave, then Post-Modern, then Grunge, and now just plain Alternative. And honestly, I’ve never liked any of those labels because it doesn’t really cover what we do. In addition. Alternative Music has been hijacked by poseurs. No mystery there as to why.

Anyway, what I’m trying to say is I’ve found a label for our music that fits. And that is that we play ‘American Gothic’ music. Yes, I know that’s the name of our e.p. that came out, but its not meant as a self serving self reference. I was attracted to the idea of an American Gothic movement musically because it embodies both the English ideal of gothic music and the decay of Americana. So that’s us for now on. We play American Gothic music. Please use that label, its one I hope sticks :) blah blah

http://smashingpumpkins.com/blog

blueczarina
      Spectator

nice find reggae. :)

so American Gothic huh? interesting. i also find it interesting that he likes the whole O-board II idea. hell, maybe he will post there. :wink:

Anonymous
      Spectator

nice find reggae. :)

so American Gothic huh? interesting. i also find it interesting that he likes the whole O-board II idea. hell, maybe he will post there. :wink:[/quote:1wfv4xsh]

I listen to AG music :)
      and it would be kick ass if he or any of them posted on here…
      anything is possible in life

Haha, this is kinda like H.I.M titling their album ‘Love Metal’ – the genre they’ve essentially created for themselves.

love it, american gothic, sounds good, and right to me. i love hearing from billy.

and it is neat that he is interested in new o-board, maybe he will make an apperance or two.

blueczarina
      Spectator

this was on HU. i think they make a nice couple. :lol:

Anonymous
      Spectator

by the looks of your signature

*she does not agree

amnesia
      Spectator

this was on HU. i think they make a nice couple. :lol:

[/quote:3b92czrk]

Haha, nice picture, and yeah, they make a sweet couple :lol:

blueczarina
      Spectator

by the looks of your signature

*she does not agree[/quote:2p0padbz]

heck no :lol: she doesn’t like the competition :wink:

Marcella
      Spectator

American Gothic, I’ve always thought that the Pumpkins needed their own label =). Glad to hear from Billy again. I’ve decided that I will register at that new board. If they happen to post there I’ll be sure to catch them!

manillascissor
      Keymaster

god, i’m gonna sound like such an ass, but….

boooooooooooooring…….

sorry billy. :(

Anonymous
      Spectator

hey…..
      I think it’s awesome
      they are being different!! or shall I say being Pumpkins

blueczarina
      Spectator

god, i’m gonna sound like such an ass, but….

boooooooooooooring…….

sorry billy. :([/quote:2blwpvj3]

its ok. he has made better blogs. :wink:

Anonymous
      Spectator

its ok. he has made better blogs. :wink:[/quote:dpcnle9b]

at least he got right to the point in this blog…lol

i just love being able to hear from him.

i was so wishing we would get a new blog from him.

oh, hey go look at sp.com

and look at the banner. :D

Anonymous
      Spectator

looks like Billy has made it official about calling the music AG! Awesome I am glad he did :)

I

blueczarina
      Spectator

sure enough- they’ve changed it. :wink:

Arthur
      Spectator

I’m happy with the year they put behind \"since\". :wink:

blueczarina
      Spectator

I’m happy with the year they put behind "since". :wink:[/quote:1jsf6v1u]

i’m sure you are :wink:

Viewing 19 reply threads

The forum ‘General’ is closed to new topics and replies.