Viewing 58 reply threads
  • Author

bullettwoutbutterflywings
      Spectator

Attention members of the Smashing Pumpkins community:

Smashing Pumpkins dot com is looking to recruit 5 more correspondents into the ranks of the Smashing Pumpkins Media Militia. These correspondents will be given the task of writing articles, editorials, critical reviews and posing questions to the fan base. We are looking for inquisitive minds and people who will look past the surface of being a fan and explore the deeper themes of the band past, present and future.

These 5 positions will work directly with the Pumpkins Media Militia on creating suitable content for SP.com. These will be paid positions and should be considered part-time work. There will be weekly deadlines and creative thinking is a must-have. A strong knowledge of the history of The Smashing Pumpkins is a plus. Applicants must be at least 21 years of age. Applicants may be from anywhere in the world, however a strong comprehension of English is expected.

Applicants must provide resumes and a sample essay/article of 750 words or less.

The essay or article should relate to the band and should made in the hopes of generating discussion amongst the fanbase, as if it were on the site. We are not looking for overtly benevolent praise for the band, critical thought and scrutiny is encouraged.
      For those without a strong writing background, some suggestions follow. Variations on these suggestions or anything completely different is encouraged:

– What kind of album would adore have been if Jimmy Chamberlin had played drums on it?

– If Machina had turned out as an actual double LP, how would things have turned out differently, it at all?

– What impact has the 7-seven break-up of the band had on the music world?

– What song if any, stands out the most as an oddity on Siamese Dream and why?

To submit your application for this position you have a user account on smashingpumpkins.com.
      Please send a private message to user PumpkinsMediaMilitia on smashingpumpkins.com with the title APPLICATION and your email address in the message portion. An email will be sent to you that you may respond to with your resume and essay in either PDF or text document form.

(taken from MySpace blog of February 14th)

manillascissor
      Keymaster

Cool info Arthur. You doing this?

Arthur
      Spectator

Before I even could consider that (as if I’m not too busy already :lol: ) it is closed already.

Almost 300 persons applied for the jobs. No chance anyway.

hey anyone get an email from pmm today?

i did and wanna know what it said?

Arthur
      Spectator

I think I just read on sp.com that the ones getting an email have moved to the next phase?

Can we congratulate you bullet? :roll:

no, i got a sorry but you suck letter.

not a you are great and we want to hear more.

:cry:

but that is alright, they said i suck in a nice way.

did anyone get a you don’t suck letter?

i am having a pity party later, anyone wanna go?

Arthur
      Spectator

Hmmm… I applied too, and didn’t hear anything.

maybe you will be getting one of the we love you and want to hear more letters.

i hope so.

Arthur
      Spectator

I think it’s too early to be excited about that signal, of getting nothing.

i will cross my fingers for you.

Arthur
      Spectator

Thanks. My essay is somewhere here on the board, maybe you read it?

i did, i liked it very much. you will probably be one of the \"chosen ones\" (cue the music).

if not, don’t worry, i will help you plan a pity party.

i will not post mine, cause obviously it sucked.

Arthur
      Spectator

Oh well, thanks! I mean I had written it very last minute, as officially I was too late. But PMM wanted to have mine in anyway. English is not my first language either, so you never know what they are looking for in another country. Some friends liked my essay also, but yeah… they are being polite I guess. :lol:

But I would be very proud to be on their list, lemme tell you. And that’s an understatement. Still I think that announcement on sp.com says that everybody should be getting an email? Really , I got nothing yet.

brotagaia
      Spectator

I got a \"sorry you weren’t chosen\" letter – Which is fine, because i know my writing was great anyway. When my book is published I won’t have to grant them copyright privileges.

I have to write essays all the time for university and i know it was structured properly and written well and I definitely got my point across. I even got my boss, who has been a practicing lawyer for over 30 years and is very fluent in the English language to read it and he said it was great as well.

I don’t need some website with writers who can’t spell, write or even punctuate properly to tell me that my writing wasn’t what they were looking for. Of course it wasn’t. I should have just scribbled on a piece of paper with crayons, added some drool for effect and said \"pleez pik mine writing story i luv teh pumpknz\".

All I know is that these writers had better have a better grasp of English than I do to make me eat my proverbial words.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

i’m not quite as confident in mine brotagaia, but pretty close. i wrote it in 30-40 mins, it was a page long, got straight to the point, and was one of the better critiques i’ve ever written.

and the way the \"media militia\" responded to a few inquiries as to the status of the hiring left a lot to be desired.

basically, i’m glad i wasn’t picked either, because i don’t want to work for such assholes.

for the record, i didn’t get an email either way, which again, doesn’t surprise me. not even organized enough to send rejection letters to all that applied. real fucking professional. :roll:

brotagaia
      Spectator

I was less than impressed with the condescending tone of the email that came out with the application – giving us very specific instructions of how to name the files like we’re all morons and then the threads where people were asking about the status of the applications and they were very abrupt about it. I think these people must think they’re King Dick or something because they get to write for the official SP website. I don’t know who recruited them because they sound like tools. Just because they get to write for the band it doesn’t make them \"better\" than everyone else, which to me they clearly think they are.

The fact that people didn’t even get emailed responses impresses me even less.. maybe we should have put in our applications \"please be VERY SURE to spell my email address CORRECTLY\". Their most recent post pisses me off even more – \" This was NOT A CONTEST, but a chance to show your employable worth and motivation. Anyone complaining about the way things were handled was not chosen for a karmatic reason.\"

What a crock of shit. Karma my ass. Everyone who applied and followed the instructions correctly is clearly demonstrating their motivation and employable worth by having checked the website often enough to see this advertised job in the first place. It’s not unreasonable to follow up on a job application, especially when time constraints weren’t specified and more than a month had gone past. Considering the fact that they wanted these applications submitted quickly gives even more of a reason to follow up.

Sure, I’m bitter and annoyed that my essay wasn’t picked, but more annoyed because these clearly unprofessional people seem to have no idea how to co-ordinate a job recruitment process and treat people like they aren’t scum.

Arthur
      Spectator

News: at least 1 SPfreaks member got confirmation he is in the next round. He has to write another essay within 48 hours. Just to be sure I asked their Media Dept. why 2 of us didn’t get any email.

Could it mean that we are in the top 5 already without having to do anything? :wink:

Oh awesome!

manillascissor
      Keymaster

News: at least 1 SPfreaks member got confirmation he is in the next round. He has to write another essay within 48 hours. Just to be sure I asked their Media Dept. why 2 of us didn’t get any email.

Could it mean that we are in the top 5 already without having to do anything? :wink:[/quote:15xz4ccb]

Yeah right!

Nice new avatar. ;)

yes, the email that was sent out was very condesending. and i was confident in mine, untill i got the you suck ass letter.

and i am disapointed, i wanted the position.

plus it was just the end to a very crappy day anyway. the poo on top of the crappy cake.

so yes, bitter, and upset, and mad. that is what i am

on the other hand, if someone from here got into the next round i am very glad for them.

Im a Cult Hero
      Spectator

Shame the letter couldn’t have been a bit nicer bullet *offers you a cookie*

And congrats to the mystery member who got through to the next round!
      I think the final is decided by thumb wrestling to the death by the two finalists so better get training now!

Arthur
      Spectator

Yeah right!

Nice new avatar. ;)[/quote:1p2vsm99]
      Thanks. I presume we 2 didn’t make it manillascissor, let’s be honest. I’m not sad nor mad about it personally, like bullet. Too much other fun things to do, to even be bothered about it more than a few seconds. Though I can understand your frustration bullet, when writing is a big hobby of yours.

But I had always wished 1 of us SPfreaks webmasters or teammembers would make it, and there’s 1 of us still in the race, at least. I’m happy. He’s a great (professional) writer and already wrote tons of essays about the Smashing Pumpkins.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

Well, yeah, I’m going with I didn’t make it either, because I didn’t get a thumb up or down. Only one straight up the ass, as it were.

I’m happy for the one member who did make it through, however. Seeing as how this person writes a lot, it should be obvious to the Media Militia that this person belongs with them. :)

I’m mainly bothered by the person(s) who were handling this. Very unprofessional. Buyer beware, fellow freak. Careful what you might be stepping into. You may need sewer boots.

Arthur
      Spectator

manillascissor, I guess the difference is why we never heard something so far, is that Sven already applied in time (and re-applied together with us 2). You and I were asked in person to apply because we are running SPfreaks.com. That was about a month after the deadline. I presume we will get a \"Thank You, but you’re not the ones\" seperately a bit later.

It’s not the most pro job application procedure I have ever been in, not the worst either. The real life job I’m doing now for almost 10 years, it took them 3-4 months before they even replied anything. And I just love my job now, with pretty nice colleagues and challenging projects to do.

thanks for the cookie, cult hero, i need one.

and i do like your new avatar arthur, what made you decide to change? i like the old one too.

Arthur
      Spectator

and i do like your new avatar arthur, what made you decide to change? i like the old one too.[/quote:1h2xqi81]
      Just the normal desire to have a change every now and then. And this pic has a very funny story to it, besides me liking the complete piece of art (painting) it comes from.

A few days back I had a little arguement with someone on eBay. I won a cd for 0.99 US$ and I forgot to check to which countries shipment was done. Obviously it was US only, and the guy made a little fuzz about it, how inconvenient I was etc. I apologized a few times, and in the end he send it anyway. The funny thing was, on eBay I replied to an email address that he didn’t check much, and in direct replies I referenced to those emails, which he hadn’t read or couldn’t find. Misunderstandings all over, and he was getting very grumpy, while I have never been so friendly on eBay!

But after we were cool and peace again, the guy told me little story about being a homeless artist ("I know that you might laugh at me Arthur, after what we just went through") and he asked my advice about his art, if it would be something to sell on eBay. I checked the link he provided me, and this painting I kinda like. It’s a little part of a bigger piece. And it has a funny story connected to it too. :lol:

nice, i would like to see the whole thing if at all possible.

Arthur
      Spectator

Sure, here it is.

that is flippin awesome. very nice.

:)

Wow. That’s an incredible painting!

Arthur
      Spectator

Check out his website @ http://www.andronisgalleries.com/ (in case you missed that under the pic :wink: )

Arthur
      Spectator

OK we know for sure. Sven will (hopefully) be SPfreaks.com’s representitive on sp.com. This is a part of the email I just received from their Media Dept.

\"Your essays were read and Sven’s ended up rising to the occasion. It was not likely that we would have more than one writer from any one website, so please understand. Hopefully all of the major sites will be represented, but ultimately it will be based on the applicants’ writing style and compatibility.\"

On sp.com PumpkinsMediaMilitia just posted this, and I laughed my ass off! :lol:

\"An HR department? Are you kidding? This is a rock band, my friend.\"

I’ll try having this is as my signature from now on! :lol:

Im a Cult Hero
      Spectator

Lol that’s brilliant :)

oh, i saw over at the pumpkins.net i saw that another person who is on this site, ghostchild got into the second round.

i am happy for him. he is lives near me, about 40 mins away, and he sent me the fresh cuts cd, when i was not able to go and get it.

nice guy, i am glad he mde it to the next part of the process.

Arthur
      Spectator

Yeah that’s pretty cool indeed. As PMM said \"Hopefully all of the major sites will be represented, but ultimately it will be based on the applicants’ writing style and compatibility.\", so I do hope both ThePumpkins.net and us will be represented.

I never thought sp.com would consider us to be 1 of the \"major sites\", so that’s cool also. 8)

yes, i think this site is major. no there aren’t alot on the forum, but lots of people lurk, and check out the awesome cool collection of stuffs. which i hope to be able to contribute more to. i am still looking for that darn magazine, it has eluded me for weeks now. and i am about to scream :evil:

Sven
      Spectator

please note that for all intents and purpouses spfreaks can indeed faithfully and with good reason consider itself major given the current state of matters ;)

Arthur
      Spectator

please note that for all intents and purpouses spfreaks can indeed faithfully and with good reason consider itself major given the current state of matters ;)[/quote:5fid65fn]
      I wonder what you mean here Sven :roll:

Sven
      Spectator

Lass dir nicht von denen raten
      die ihren Winterspeck der Möglichkeiten
      längst verbraten haben

Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten
      und am besten auch den Zar
      die Gestirne werden sich behaupten
      aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar

weilweilweil und immer weilweilweil und wieder weil

Sven
      Spectator

trust no one
      trust the powers that be
      belief

there’s more than meets the eye

talking between stars
      scenes missing | scenes merging | frames missing

and we meet again mr Anderson…

no black ships on the horizon no more…

remember the soul as living proof
      letting the truth sing divine
      as the machines resume
      so empowered
      bracing against the inevitable doubt
      this echo rings forever on

so-
      for now freak out and give in….

blueczarina
      Spectator

Ok :wink:
      (we have a poetry thread in the general section, that might fit better there)

Arthur
      Spectator

Ok :wink:
      (we have a poetry thread in the general section, that might fit better there)[/quote:rmrb8o1s]
      I was about to say that. Sven is obviously in 7th heaven for some reason, I wonder if it has something to do with the subject of this topic? :roll:

Sven
      Spectator

QED

Sven
      Spectator

ok
      signed – sealed – delivered
      contracts have been signed and approved and sent and recieved
      first introduction piece will be up in a short while
      just so you know: yes, i’m in, I will be working for The Smashing Pumpkins/the website as one of their writers and will of course represent SPFreaks the best I can!
      stay tuned to SP.com for what we are up to as a team over there ;)

can’t wait to see.

blueczarina
      Spectator

well, wait no longer.

they are now revealing themselves.
      http://www.smashingpumpkins.com/news_4017

manillascissor
      Keymaster

well, wait no longer.

http://www.smashingpumpkins.com/news_4017[/quote:1g99bfah]

wow, hack is a [tool]….

holy crap i can’t belive you said that, i totally agree but i can’t belive you said that. hehehehe…………

blueczarina
      Spectator

wow manilla.
      can’t believe you said it either, but i can’t say i disagree. hahaha

i hope Sven does good but beyond that i don’t have high hopes for this new thing on SP.com. neither does anyone on thepumpkins.net. i’m afraid it will fail in its aims.

Sven
      Spectator

just wait and see what we can do over there
      there’s some awesome stuff coming up
      we’re working hard on very cool things…
      so stay tuned

can’t wait to see!!!!!!!!!!!

Arthur
      Spectator

i don’t have high hopes for this new thing on SP.com. neither does anyone on thepumpkins.net. i’m afraid it will fail in its aims.[/quote:1pgt48ob]
      Really? Why?

blueczarina
      Spectator

to avoid confusion and unintentional offending :roll: :wink:

let’s just have a slice of Pumpkin pie instead

blueczarina
      Spectator

well, wait no longer.

http://www.smashingpumpkins.com/news_4017[/quote:20gf1jxk]

wow, hack is a [tool]….[/quote:20gf1jxk]

gotta love it when the mod moderates himself :lol:

Sven
      Spectator

thnx for the best wishes

we will do our best there.

as with anyting online, there’s alway backlash, so what?
      the people not it or not doing it are always the first to point fingers.
      shit happens.
      i can take it.
      we can take it.
      been there, done that.
      and surely didn’t get the Hatephoria t-shirt.

cut the hate
      cut the crap
      get the info out there
      that’s what i’m hired to do
      that’s what i will do
      TSP community building????
      now – THAT would take some effort
      but it can be done
      and we are the forerunners and all
      and can and will take the heat
      or \"heat\" for well – ehm – who are we talking about here venting their ‘anger’ or whatever or is it just jealoysy????

so, wait and see what happens
      as for me
      heat ha!
      been there, done that and fucked her again…
      as in – I don’t give a s…t about backlash…..
      it happens and will happens
      so you know
      be prepared, be ready for it, do your utmost best and for the rest – oh well…. dunno…
      f-ck’em…?!

all my best
      sven

blueczarina
      Spectator

a poetic response :wink:

personally, i’m just sick of some specific folks there and the site’s atmosphere in general and have been for awhile.

i’ll check out the changes though. i hope it all goes well. :wink: :)

i really liked your post over there, it was a great job, i am gonna go read the new one from todays person here in a minute. i just thought the first one was ok, i know they are just intorductions, but yours blew his right out of the water. but i know that there are good things comming so i will be over there to see.

ok, just read sunky’s post, i liked it also. no hateorade over here. :)

Viewing 58 reply threads

The forum ‘General’ is closed to new topics and replies.