Viewing 201 reply threads
  • Author

confuciousconfusing
      Spectator

Hey guys, check this out if you haven’t:

http://www.smashingpumpkins.com/pages/b … hives-blog

So what do you think this will be and how will it work, and who’s interested? :P

I’m definately on it! :D

blueczarina
      Spectator

i’m not sure what they have in mind for the subscription, but i will sign up for it for sure! :) it looks cool and i want to see what hidden treasures Billy has in there. 8)

Marcella
      Spectator

Sounds interesting, I’ll subscribe for sure.

blueczarina
      Spectator

blueczarina
      Spectator

if you get a weird email verification invalid address thing i thinks its because it already has you in the system because you are signed up for the SP newsletter that rarely appears. :wink:

just click that orange bit about updating and put in your user name and password to be sure your in and it works.

Arthur
      Spectator

Of course I did sign up, duhhh… There should be tons of stuffs coming that we don’t have on SPfreaks.com yet! 8)

Marcella
      Spectator

Yay, I am in. Can’t wait to receive something.

amnesia
      Spectator

I hope i did it right.If i hear you guys go nuts about something crazy, and i dont, im pretty sure i fucked something up with that subscription. :P

Anonymous
      Spectator

I signed up. Who wouldn’t sign up?
      I’m so excited for this :D

Anonymous
      Spectator

:lol: :lol:
      You are receiving this email because you have (or someone pretending to be you has) signed up to the following:
      – Smashing Pumpkins Email List
      – Smashing Pumpkins Site

That is one funny email

amnesia
      Spectator

😆 :lol:
      You are receiving this email because you have (or someone pretending to be you has) signed up to the following:
      – Smashing Pumpkins Site

That is one funny email[/quote:221u3yev]

Yes, that was the same respons i got as well.
      I thought i fucked it up, but guess i did not.

Anonymous
      Spectator

😆 :lol:
      – Smashing Pumpkins Site

That is one funny email[/quote:gy2hc18w]

Yes, that was the same respons i got as well.
      I thought i fucked it up, but guess i did not.[/quote:gy2hc18w]
      :lol: maybe we did ;)

blueczarina
      Spectator

here it is:

Hello SP World!!

Welcome to the first edition of the Archives Newsletter! I’m planning on writing a blog and newsletter once a week. The first thing that I want to talk to you about is my job and what we’re doing. As a fan of the band for many years, I have always hoped the band would release old shows and demos. There are a lot of misconceptions out there that it would be so easy for the band to release (insert title here) show or demo. Now being on the other side, I can see that it is a lot more difficult to do that. There is a large process that we have to go through in order to get a recording ready to release. Looking through the archive, there is an overwhelming number of live and studio recordings. The first thing we have to do find something that is worthy of release. Since Billy has been focused on new things, work with the archive has been slow. This is where I come in. My job is to work in the archive and work on finding the best items to release. There is a lot to choose from. Some of the items being discussed are the 12/2/00 Metro show and the unfinished Adore Documentary. Aside from those two things, there is a mountain of great stuff. In the coming weeks, I’m going to be giving updates on the treasures I find.

The next subject that I want to talk about is the process on how to deliver this stuff to you. I want to expand on Billy’s idea of a subscription service that I mentioned in the blog. Going through and finding material that is suitable for release is a very in-depth process. The idea of a subscription service is where you can sign up for a yearly subscription, and in return you will receive a guaranteed number of tracks and releases. These releases will be from all eras of the band. Some items may not be up to the quality of a professional release, and may be rawer sounding. This could mean a track of the band rehearsing that might not sound good enough for the general population, but Billy might say that it would be good for the subscription service. We would put it up because that is the only version of that song. This is for the type of fan that is interested in getting unreleased live and studio tracks. This is the Holy Grail. One example is that you’ll pay $300 for the subscription, and we’ll give you 200 releases. For those of you who don’t want to sign up for a subscription, we’ll still sell some material to you, but the subscription members will get it first. If you don’t want to purchase anything, we are also looking at distributing some material for free. Basically, if you want to get everything, you want to take a look at the subscription service.

The reason why we’re talking about a subscription model is that if the band just releases individual shows for sale, we wouldn’t have a budget to work with to make it a long-term project. The subscription service would automatically give us a budget to prepare and distribute material to you. If you have any ideas or comments about the subscription service, please let me know. My e-mail is frank@smashingpumpkins.com. If you’re on the message board, please voice your opinion on the SP Archive Project Forum in the Live Recordings/Collecting/Trading forum.

Frank
      [/quote:289krzz3]

so $300 huh :?: :roll: hmmm, yeah *cough* SP fans aren’t millionaires. :roll:

Danni
      Spectator

here it is:

Hello SP World!!

Welcome to the first edition of the Archives Newsletter! I’m planning on writing a blog and newsletter once a week. The first thing that I want to talk to you about is my job and what we’re doing. As a fan of the band for many years, I have always hoped the band would release old shows and demos. There are a lot of misconceptions out there that it would be so easy for the band to release (insert title here) show or demo. Now being on the other side, I can see that it is a lot more difficult to do that. There is a large process that we have to go through in order to get a recording ready to release. Looking through the archive, there is an overwhelming number of live and studio recordings. The first thing we have to do find something that is worthy of release. Since Billy has been focused on new things, work with the archive has been slow. This is where I come in. My job is to work in the archive and work on finding the best items to release. There is a lot to choose from. Some of the items being discussed are the 12/2/00 Metro show and the unfinished Adore Documentary. Aside from those two things, there is a mountain of great stuff. In the coming weeks, I’m going to be giving updates on the treasures I find.

The next subject that I want to talk about is the process on how to deliver this stuff to you. I want to expand on Billy’s idea of a subscription service that I mentioned in the blog. Going through and finding material that is suitable for release is a very in-depth process. The idea of a subscription service is where you can sign up for a yearly subscription, and in return you will receive a guaranteed number of tracks and releases. These releases will be from all eras of the band. Some items may not be up to the quality of a professional release, and may be rawer sounding. This could mean a track of the band rehearsing that might not sound good enough for the general population, but Billy might say that it would be good for the subscription service. We would put it up because that is the only version of that song. This is for the type of fan that is interested in getting unreleased live and studio tracks. This is the Holy Grail. One example is that you’ll pay $300 for the subscription, and we’ll give you 200 releases. For those of you who don’t want to sign up for a subscription, we’ll still sell some material to you, but the subscription members will get it first. If you don’t want to purchase anything, we are also looking at distributing some material for free. Basically, if you want to get everything, you want to take a look at the subscription service.

The reason why we’re talking about a subscription model is that if the band just releases individual shows for sale, we wouldn’t have a budget to work with to make it a long-term project. The subscription service would automatically give us a budget to prepare and distribute material to you. If you have any ideas or comments about the subscription service, please let me know. My e-mail is frank@smashingpumpkins.com. If you’re on the message board, please voice your opinion on the SP Archive Project Forum in the Live Recordings/Collecting/Trading forum.

Frank
      [/quote:1i00p3n2]

so $300 huh :?: :roll: hmmm, yeah *cough* SP fans aren’t millionaires. :roll:[/quote:1i00p3n2]

Right :!: I thought this as well. :shock:

blueczarina
      Spectator

yeah, that’s pretty damn steep. that’s a bill right there. i hope he comes up with a better idea. :roll: plus really this stuff will be traded on torrents sites and the like as soon as it arrives, so if you want people to actually pay lower the price.

i really don’t think i could pull that fee off in one shot plus pay for school, etc. :roll:

Arthur
      Spectator

If it is digital only, I’m not even going to pay anything, and I will withdraw my subscription.

blueczarina
      Spectator

that would be even more lame if it was all digital. :roll:

amnesia
      Spectator

300 bucks is indeed much, but again its just an example.
      If it really will cost 300, you will get 200 releases, that sounds decent.
      Lets us just see what will happiend. :wink:

Arthur
      Spectator

If it really will cost 300, you will get 200 releases, that sounds decent.[/quote:21ccpitw]
      Maybe, maybe not. For digital only releases I think it stinks, as it are "only" unreleased b-sides and other stuffs that were not worthwhile putting on any album or EP or b-sides compilation. All those albums with their songs on it were properly mastered and promoted and all, and are available for 99 cents per song/download. Those new songs to be released will cost US$ 1.50 each, and I really wonder if they will be properly mastered and all. You get the picture…

But for me it’s not the money really, as for good songs from my favourite band I’m willing to pay good bucks, if it is something exclusive/rare. But I’m not going to pay anything for a fukken download I cannot hold in my hand, that is not released with some proper artwork and all! So I really hope they will do the same as with the 20th Anniversary Tour: released on FLAC/MP3 and CD.

Pipoka
      Spectator

Like another portuguese poster said in sp.com forum, no way that we can pay that amount of money.
      We live in another reality in here, that is just a lot of money…. to spend in this. I would buy if I could, it’s not that I think it doesn’t worth it. But I just can’t….

amnesia
      Spectator

Yeah that sucks Pip, i saw that post as well. :(

I know for sure, im on the boat for sure when it sails to the vault.

Given that iTunes releases studio, full length songs for 99p, I think this is a rip off.

Frankly, I wouldn’t even consider it if it was over $50/year.

amnesia
      Spectator

Given that iTunes releases studio, full length songs for 99p, I think this is a rip off.

Frankly, I wouldn’t even consider it if it was over $50/year.[/quote:1nqen6lb]

Then i guess you goin to download it from a torrent site or something.

blueczarina
      Spectator

that’s my plan ^^ :roll: too pricey.

amnesia
      Spectator

300 bucks is much, but hey, there is no price on it yet, lets see what happiens.

Anonymous
      Spectator

it was an example, but I think that amount is pretty steep especially if there is nothing, but only a download. Need artwork too ;) that just completes it :D

Danni
      Spectator

Yeah, definately Reggae. Couldn’t agree less! I would love for them to releasing very limited 7-inches. In my fantasy… :roll:

blueczarina
      Spectator

oh, yes- special edition vinyl. 8)

jawn till dusk
      Spectator

Yeah, definately Reggae. Couldn’t agree less! I would love for them to releasing very limited 7-inches. In my fantasy… :roll:[/quote:3k6050k5]

I always loved the way Pearl Jam release an xmas 7” every year for fanclub members. It’s only,like $25 and you get 2 magazines and a record every year.Always previously unreleased music and exclusive stories/interviews and stuff.Why not do something like this,but more often,say,a new record every 3 months on pre-order.

Just a thought.

blueczarina
      Spectator

your avatar is funny honeymade :lol:

Danni
      Spectator

Yeah, definately Reggae. Couldn’t agree less! I would love for them to releasing very limited 7-inches. In my fantasy… :roll:[/quote:2jbsvfua]

I always loved the way Pearl Jam release an xmas 7” every year for fanclub members. It’s only,like $25 and you get 2 magazines and a record every year.Always previously unreleased music and exclusive stories/interviews and stuff.Why not do something like this,but more often,say,a new record every 3 months on pre-order.

Just a thought.[/quote:2jbsvfua]

Yeah, I think so too! I’ve had thoughts joining PJ’s the Ten Club as I’m a big fan of theirs as well.
      But let’s get serious, I don’t think SP would be doing that? :cry:

Danni
      Spectator

your avatar is funny honeymade :lol:[/quote:3uektrxq]

Thanks, it’s a DIY-avatar as I did it myself! :P

Arthur
      Spectator

I wrote something, hopefully interesting, on the SP forum… :wink:

http://www.smashingpumpkins.com/board/i … topic=2862 (Post #6)

Anonymous
      Spectator

not that bad of an idea Arthur.
      So we could hook it up to the pc connect to the SP site and download our paid for music??? like how the itunes service works, but in this case SP tunes ??
      You know, that would be good for the artist ;)
      explore this please…

blueczarina
      Spectator

i would sign up for SP tunes :wink:

Danni
      Spectator

Yeah, and what will todays news mean to the SP subscription? :?

blueczarina
      Spectator

i don’t know? they still have a massive archive of stuff people would like to have.

Arthur
      Spectator

Yeah, and what will todays news mean to the SP subscription? :?[/quote:2jh9wytw]
      I’m quite sure that will not be effected. Billy will, partly, depend on it for his income I guess…

Anonymous
      Spectator

I’m sure they will still be doing the SP subscription. hmmm..there is a deeper meaning behind this congress hearing :roll:
      and a subscription :roll:
      connecting something bigger within SP.com somehow….

blueczarina
      Spectator

not that he’s broke :wink:

I’m sure they will still be doing the SP subscription. hmmm..there is a deeper meaning behind this congress hearing :roll:
      and a subscription :roll:
      connecting something bigger within SP.com somehow….[/quote:2ndai4rw]

i think so too…. there has to be something bigger going on that they are not telling us yet or maybe we are reading too much into it i don’t know.

blueczarina
      Spectator

that could be … hmm

mr.benway
      Spectator

News from the Archive: Newsletter No.2

THE SMASHING PUMPKINSARCHIVE NEWSLETTER #2
      Hello again,

Welcome to the second Archive Newsletter. I am now entering the third week on the job, and I just want to say that I’m really excited about the project. I want to get into the more technical details about the archive. One of the biggest problems with storing media that is over 20 years old is tape deterioration. One example of this is the Ignoffo Demos. Mark Ignoffo was a studio engineer that worked with the band in 1988-89. The band would record demos at Reel Time Studios and then sell them at shows. The Moon Demo was a demo tape that was sold at shows in 1989 for $5. The songs from this period would include Stars Fall In, Daughter, and Bye June. These songs have been widely bootlegged out, but the quality has been questionable because many of these were sourced from old cassette tapes. The band has the original reels from those recording sessions in the archive. Throughout the years, these tapes have started to deteriorate and flake. Recently, the band has started to rescue these recordings. A technique to rescue tapes that are starting to flake is through baking. The tapes would be placed in an oven, and baked for a specific period of time. This restores the tape so that it can be transferred. In these cases, we often have one chance to transfer the tape before the tape is lost for good. The Ignoffo Demos were baked for 72 hours! Then they ran them through Pro Tools at 24-bit/96kHz, and the outcome was amazing. They sound so much better than the bootlegged versions that fans have. This would definitely be an upgrade if you already have these songs.

The next step is to rescue other tapes and reels that have started to deteriorate. All of the material in the archive is stored in a climate controlled environment in order to preserve them, and slow down the effects of time. Tapes and reels aren’t the only material that we have to carefully monitor. Paper is another concern for us. I’m currently going through and cataloging the band’s posters. I have found some early posters from the Gish era, and there are a few that have started to show their age. A way to combat this is to store them in acid-free polyester Mylar sleeves. The Library of Congress also uses the same types of sleeves for archival storage. I’m creating a system that will catalog and preserve all of the posters and artwork from the band. Eventually this system will include all of the promotional material that I’ve talked about in my recent blog post. I hope this sheds some light on what we’ve been doing. I’ll talk to you all next week!

Frank
      [/quote:q61afz4b]

Interesting fact: Posters and SP Promo Material are also in the Archive. I’m curious about it, love to see them. And more stuff for SPFreaks.

Danni
      Spectator

Very interesting indeed!

blueczarina
      Spectator

that is interesting! i want to see these posters. that would be super cool. 8)

Anonymous
      Spectator

8) x a lot.

Anonymous
      Spectator

this is good news! I can’t wait to see this stuff :P
      controlled temperature storage :twisted: 8)

yeah that article was interesting. i didn’t know they have to bake some of the old tapes to try to save them before they deteriorate. it will be neat to see what they bring out of the vault. now i really hope they have a lower subscription price! :P and i wonder if they will reprint some of the old posters?

I think this archive thing will die fast if they don’t get enough subscriptions.

And I doubt they make a lot of money out of this, if any. Thousands of dollars have already been spent on storing these tapes for years, and no matter how they decide to spread stuff, it’ll cost them.

Anonymous
      Spectator

I’d imagine Veronica G.’s asked for their release via Telepathy.

amnesia
      Spectator

How many of you guys would subscribe if it would 300 bucks ?

Im pretty sure i would do it.

Anonymous
      Spectator

Im pretty sure i would do it.[/quote:yz8vc9aj]

I’d be happy to -if- I’m able, although to be honest I feel that’s too expensive.

Hard copies, well that would be more acceptable, imho.

Danni
      Spectator

Im pretty sure i would do it.[/quote:1f1et783]

$300 US sounds a bit too grand? :oops:

But then again, for those "hidden treasure"… who knows. But yea, as most people have said it would be more appreciated in any physical release. :?

amnesia
      Spectator

I think there was talk about physical release on some releases. 8)

Danni
      Spectator

I think there was talk about physical release on some releases. 8)[/quote:1w38il0t]

Then definately! I would do much for some hidden Siamese Dream-era treasures… I’m more or less obsessed with SD. :roll: …… :wink:

amnesia
      Spectator

Then definately! I would do much for some hidden Siamese Dream-era treasures… I’m more or less obsessed with SD. :roll: …… :wink:[/quote:3pxvdbog]

I think i speak for all when i say SPfreaks are obsessed with SP. :wink:

blueczarina
      Spectator

:lol:

i don’t know. i probably would cough it up because i’m a freak. my problem is though that its just downloads. i can see it if they gave vinyl or CDs, but it seems steep for something i can probably steal shortly after the downloads are made available. :roll:

Arthur
      Spectator

THE SMASHING PUMPKINS ARCHIVE NEWSLETTER #4

Hello SP World!

I hope all of you are doing well. I want to give all of you your weekly dose from the archives. Quite a few of you have asked me what exactly is in the archives. There are thousands upon thousands of tapes in the archive! Every era of the band has a wealth of material in the archive. If you’re a fan of the early days, there are songs like Death of a Mind (Sun) and Not Worth Asking from live shows in ’89. If you’re a fan of the Mellon Collie era, practically everything was recorded. The same goes with Adore all the way up to Zeitgeist. There is definitely something for everyone. The task of going through and picking individual items to release is a tall order. This is why we’ve been talking to all of you about different avenues on how we are going to release this material.

Say for instance we just put up a batch of 5 shows for sale online. We would have to go through the archives, and pick 5 shows that would be worthy of putting up for sale. That’s not an easy task when you’re looking at 20+ years of shows. Also include the mountain of studio and demo material. Then you look at what happens if a show we put up didn’t do so well. That time, money, and effort would have been wasted. You have to remember that a lot of these live shows are unmixed multi-tracks. They would have to be mixed down in the studio in order for us to release it. It would be difficult to break even if one of the shows didn’t sell well.

This is where the idea of a subscription service comes in. We wouldn’t have to cherry pick the top 5 shows to put out on an individual basis. We can take things from all different eras, and deliver them all to the subscription members. There could be something like a rehearsal from the Arising tour that would be passed through the subscription service that might not do well as its own individual release. Then we can pick out a few of the favorites that we delivered to the subscription members, and offer those as individual releases to everybody else. By having an upfront subscription service, it would make sure that we have enough capital to cover all of the expenses in mixing and transferring material and the digital and/or physical methods of getting it into your hands.

That’s where we stand right now. We’re still in the brainstorming stage, but we’re leaning towards the subscription service idea more than individually putting up material for sale. If you agree or disagree, or have a better idea, please tell us. I frequent the Archives board on the Trading forum on sp.com and I check my e-mail account at frank@smashingpumpkins.com. This is all for you. You are all in on the ground floor on helping us design the best way to open up the archives.

Frank

blueczarina
      Spectator

i saw that. it looks like it will be a subscription.

amnesia
      Spectator

Im really looking forward to this project for sure. :wink:

blueczarina
      Spectator

i’m looking forward to the audio, but i still hope we at least get a cd or a vinyl or something for all that money.

amnesia
      Spectator

i’m looking forward to the audio, but i still hope we at least get a cd or a vinyl or something for all that money.[/quote:6x05z3kt]

I agree with you, and yes i think there was talk about putting some stuff on cds, not sure about vinyl.

i just hope it doesn’t cost an arm and a leg, cause i would love to have a subscription, but very very low on money right now.

blueczarina
      Spectator

i know. the pricey will be lame i’m afraid though. just my guess.

amnesia
      Spectator

i know. the pricey will be lame i’m afraid though. just my guess.[/quote:17ba5ac5]

Why do i get the feeling your right. :?

i thinkit would be better if they did a subscription, and had them individually for sale. that way the people who didn’t want everyone could pick and choose, also that way those without loads of money could get the ones they just really wanted.

Anonymous
      Spectator

subscription would be nice, but I have a feeling it’s going to be pricey. I hope not, considering there seems to be a lot of people who want the music. Hopefully we can have some sort of payment plan where you pay up front and save money or make quarterly payments throughout the year, but paying that way wouldn’t save you money.
      foe example: you pay 100 bucks up front you get the music for a year and if you pay quarterly you pay like 40 bucks every 3 months…that makes them 60 bucks extra for the year from a quarterly subscription if they do it for the year.

i still wouldn’t be able to afford that. unfortunantly i live waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay below poverty level, i am amazed every month i am able to keep internet service. the only way we get new to us cars is to trade for ones we already had, and we had those from before, when we had money. i want the new music, and would be willing to pay maybe for individual songs, but i couldn’t afford 100 and then pay more through the year, just not able to. i have other more important things like my child to spend that money on. so please i say keep the price reasonable, and let us know well beforehand, so that those of us with very limited budgets can save up for it.

Anonymous
      Spectator

like this billet
      100 bucks = one year service
      40 bucks = 3 months of service(paying 40 bucks every 3 months) this way you spend more throughout the year and they make more… :?
      but not everyone has 40 bucks or 100 bucks so I get that too, but hopefully they get something figured out and available for everyone.

I’m not suggesting these prices..I was just using an example ;)

amnesia
      Spectator

like this billet
      40 bucks = 3 months of service(paying 40 bucks every 3 months) this way you spend more throughout the year and they make more… :?
      but not everyone has 40 bucks or 100 bucks so I get that too, but hopefully they get something figured out and available for everyone.

I’m not suggesting these prices..I was just using an example ;)[/quote:14jht2s1]

That looks reasonable to be honest. but i doubt it, i think its going to be 200, 300 a year. :(
      Cant we put Reggae in charge of the subscription at sp.com?? :D

blueczarina
      Spectator

i’m afraid its going to be more like that too. :(

amnesia
      Spectator

Im going to pay for it, even though if its goin to be 200- 300 a year, i need my fix.

blueczarina
      Spectator

yeah, i probably will too.

i won’t i like the lights on too much

Arthur
      Spectator

THE SMASHING PUMPKINS ARCHIVE NEWSLETTER #5

Hello SP World!

I hope everybody is doing well. I’ve been keeping busy combing through the archives, and setting up figures for the subscription service idea. Now it’s time to take all of our ideas and try to make them work in the real world. I have received a lot of responses about which formats people prefer. I’m looking at both lossless files and regular MP3 files. Lossless files (like FLAC) are audio files that retain all of the original fidelity of the recording. MP3 is where the audio file is compressed, and you lose some of the fidelity in the recording. If you have an iPod or MP3 player, it is probably filled with either MP3 or M4A (Apple’s MP3 standard) files.

There are many audiophiles within the niche community that this project is geared to, and I know they prefer lossless files for this material. There is a concern about piracy. We live in a world where people rip and upload material without any regard to what they’re doing. It is so common these days that it has turned the whole music business upside down. If we set up a subscription service, people share it with all of their friends, and it ends up on torrent sites, it would be hard to get additional people to sign up for it. We would need a certain number of subscribers to make this into a long-term project. When we start, it might be the case of the more subscribers we get, the more material we put out. I’m also looking at including an extremely limited tangible item that would make it worthwhile to subscribe if you were a collector.

I mentioned in my latest blog about finding a show from ’89 with \"I Am One, Part II\" opening the show. There are many shows that are in the archive that are unknown to the fan community. I know sites like SPFC.org do a great job at researching and gathering the tour history of the band. They’re not always correct though. Many of the early dates are missing set lists or venue names. Most of this information comes from bootlegs or show listings in old newspapers. I found another early show from ’89 that we posted the set list for in the Tour section of SP.com. The archives don’t just have a wealth of recordings; it contains a wealth of information too. I bet most of you didn’t know that the band played \"Stars Fall In\" live in the early days. As we get more into pulling recordings for release, we might find songs that the band worked on for tours that were never played. If you’re interested in this kind of stuff, then the subscription-model would be right up your alley.

If you have any ideas on what would make this worthwhile to you, I would definitely be interested in what you think. If we include a tangible item, what would you want it to be? I’m hoping that we can create a nice tight community for the archives, where there would be communication on both sides. It might be something where I’ll use your feedback on what to put out next in the subscription service. That’s the road I hope we’re heading to, but we need your help along the way.

Frank

Danni
      Spectator

I can’t help but still wondering what cost the subscription thing will end on. :?

Arthur
      Spectator

There is no mentioning of a physical release like CD, so I’m gone I’m afraid. The part \"I’m also looking at including an extremely limited tangible item that would make it worthwhile to subscribe if you were a collector.\" is interesting though, as it might include an item that might be physical, but it’s not enough for me.

That means, I will not subscribe. I have just written that to Frank also. I’m VERY disappointed! :cry:

Danni
      Spectator

There is no mentioning of a physical release like CD, so I’m gone I’m afraid. The part "I’m also looking at including an extremely limited tangible item that would make it worthwhile to subscribe if you were a collector." is interesting though, as it might include an item that might be physical, but it’s not enough for me.

That means, I will not subscribe. I have just written that to Frank also. I’m VERY disappointed! :cry:[/quote:1pmdnpl2]

I’m completely with you there in fact, Arthur. The only way that could ever work is to have a fairly low price on the subscription and not that $300 US that there was some talk about. Although that price COULD have just been an idea. I just don’t know about this either. As stated before, the Pearl Jam Ten Club is really worth looking at as an example in this case, I might think.

amnesia
      Spectator

I just wish for physical release every now and then, im not asking to get a cd every singel month, but like every second or third month maybe that would be so nice for us collectors.
      Lets see what will happiend.

Arthur
      Spectator

I just wish for physical release every now and then[/quote:2jjthdig]
      Keep on wishing hard then. It will not happen, as you can read in Frank’s email. FLAC and MP3 only is what they are going to release. It sux big times! :evil:

amnesia
      Spectator

I just wish for physical release every now and then[/quote:2mzz5khc]
      Keep on wishing hard then. It will not happen, as you can read in Frank’s email. FLAC and MP3 only is what they are going to release. It sux big times! :evil:[/quote:2mzz5khc]

I know, but this what i wish for.
      I dunno if im going to subscribe or not, all depending on what it would cost.

I just wish for physical release every now and then[/quote:t6nkdgr4]
      Keep on wishing hard then. It will not happen, as you can read in Frank’s email. FLAC and MP3 only is what they are going to release. It sux big times! :evil:[/quote:t6nkdgr4]

he didn’t say only. at the end of his email he asked for suggestions. i think he is still working out the details, don’t give up yet. there could be a physical release.

Anonymous
      Spectator

hopefully there will be, but if not then we will have to make bootlegs…lol
      no not really, but still it would be cool for them to do a physical release, but if they don’t, hey at least we get music right???

right! :)

Arthur
      Spectator

Frank Quinto actually replied and asked for my opinion. I just send him this email.

Hi Frank,

Of course I understand that FLAC and MP3 are the modern and most easy formats. So please go ahead and release the rarities like that to the masses. But my preferred format would be CD format and/or DVD/Blue Ray for video footage. It will contain artwork to enjoy, liner notes, rare pics to check out…

I’m not alone here. Pearl Jam is doing it ( https://www.pearljam.com/music/2008bootlegs \"Since the program’s inception, over 3.5 million bootlegs have been sold.\" so if these guys can do it, you can make this happen also in a profitable way) and if you want more examples… Jane’s Addiction is releasing this soon: http://www.janesaddiction.com/music/all … uriosities and doesn’t this just make you drool?

Guess I made my point. Thanks for listening Frank, keep up the good work.
      Arthur

blueczarina
      Spectator

I’m also looking at including an extremely limited tangible item that would make it worthwhile to subscribe if you were a collector.
      [/quote:foz4fn6c]

i guess i read that as maybe you would get a limited CD or vinyl. i don’t know though. i just figured that would be the tangible item. :?

Arthur
      Spectator

Frank Quinto emailed me an interesting thought today. What is the general thought here about this? At least to me, it means that all hopes are not lost yet, and all options are still open (last_rose_of_summer was right! 8) ).

\"I’ve been thinking about doing CD’s and vinyl instead of doing digital downloads. Maybe getting rid of the subscription service idea. What are your thoughts on that?\"

Anonymous
      Spectator

Frank Quinto emailed me an interesting thought today. What is the general thought here about this? At least to me, it means that all hopes are not lost yet, and all options are still open (last_rose_of_summer was right! 8) ).

"I’ve been thinking about doing CD’s and vinyl instead of doing digital downloads. Maybe getting rid of the subscription service idea. What are your thoughts on that?"[/quote:3jb4c0id]

:D where are those dancing bananas…this is potentially great news!!!

mr.benway
      Spectator

"I’ve been thinking about doing CD’s and vinyl instead of doing digital downloads. Maybe getting rid of the subscription service idea. What are your thoughts on that?"[/quote:2qc2ecub]
      Sounds good.
      I prefer CDs and/or vinyl: with simple packages for most of the items (like the pearl jam official bootlegs),
      and deluxe packaging for special shows or era-samplers, and vinyl for demos or so… something like that…

No dancing bananas, but…

blueczarina
      Spectator

woohoo

amnesia
      Spectator

"I’ve been thinking about doing CD’s and vinyl instead of doing digital downloads. Maybe getting rid of the subscription service idea. What are your thoughts on that?"[/quote:2hk30kw8]

Woohooo.Thats great news indeed, then i guess im going to subscripe for sure. :D

mr.benway
      Spectator

Ahh… Archive Newsletter #6 arrived.

Here is a snippet of the newsletter, i think the most interesting part is:

(…)
      We’re going to make some changes to the business model. The first thing we’re going to do is throw the $300 subscription service model out the window. The next thing we’re going to do is set up a fan club for the band. There will be details about this very soon on SP.com. We’re going to look at including a limited edition CD of rare tracks as a special gift if you’re a fan club member. Next we’re going to sell hard copy releases from the archives. This will be CD’s (possibly vinyl) with liner notes, and a special package. These releases will be limited to not much higher than the total number of fan club members. If you’re a member of the fan club, you will have GUARANTEED access to purchase these releases.
      (…)
      [/quote:35nzg5j8]

That sound phantastic… good days fpr collectors :D

amnesia
      Spectator

Yes, i just read the mail, and this is so good news.

So im guessing like all the freaks here are going to member of the fanclub. :D

Edit: Seems like the first release is schedule fall this year, woohoooo 8) :D

Arthur
      Spectator

Wow, I’m very surprised! I’m sure I was not the only one emailing Frank, but he actually picked up some ideas I send him… 8) This is what I mailed him today, as I thought he should not choose, but embrace both concepts (physical and downloadable releases):

Short term/middle term:
      1. The best 25 live shows in a state-of-the-art CD/DVD box set, but also available as individual releases.
      2. Pisces Iscariot II and III on CD, with a limited edition vinyl release, which is a numbered set with a bonus 7\" vinyl.
      3. Pisces Iscariot II and III will become available for downloading (FLAC/MP3) after 3 months of the CD release also.

Long term:
      1. Subscription to a monthly or quarterly 7\" release of all songs on Pisces Iscariot II and III CDs.
      2. SP 25 years book.

Worthwhile a try:
      Release all live shows as FLAC/MP3 downloads + on CD like the Nugs.NET concept (presuming they made some profit with the 20th Anniversary Tour of course). Also, same story for all studio material that is worthwhile releasing. This last one can be done also with a subscriptional concept: every quarter or half year an EP with 4-5 songs on CD, and 3 months later they will become available as FLAC/MP3 downloads also.

Anonymous
      Spectator

like this billet

I’m not suggesting these prices..I was just using an example ;)[/quote:1efsujac]

OH LOOK ^^^^
      does he read here :roll:

blueczarina
      Spectator

that sounds pretty awesome :) a fan club and physical releases. :) i’m definitely in if its going to be like that, yay!

it sounds cool to me too, i figured they would come up with something better than 300 smackeroos :P

blueczarina
      Spectator

i’m glad they did away with that. this will be much cooler anyway.

i think it is about time they made a fan club! i mean we have our own spfreaks fanclub here, but an official one :D

blueczarina
      Spectator

i think the fan club idea is awesome. i’m glad they are finally making one too! :)

Anonymous
      Spectator

fan club? Subscription service…
      I suppose same difference right..modern technology ways

Arthur
      Spectator

They did not get rid of the subscription idea totally… who’s in for this?

NEW SMASHING PUMPKINS SUBSCRIPTION SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

Today SmashingPumpkins.com announced that an online 12-week subscription service will be made available in the near future, that is, if demand is ample for the project. What does that mean? It means that if you are interested in this experimental way to acquire and listen to new music as it’s being created, you need to make it known that you want it! You can do this by signing up for a recently created SP Newsletter centered around this project. All that is required is your age and password.

All of the details on this project are not concrete yet, but some information has all ready been provided. $40 for 12 weeks. A minimum of 5 updates from the studio per week, so that’s 60 updates for $40. Updates would be posted in a less-than-24-hour consistency. For instance, if something happened on Monday, it would be posted no later than Tuesday. Each update would be a minimum of 5 minutes in length. That would mean subscribers would receive at least 25 minutes of unique audio/video material per week, and at least 5 hours over the course of the 12 weeks.

There is a possibility of live streaming video content in addition to what has been presented above. The possibilities for a rare look into the creation of a Smashing Pumpkins album are quite exciting. The project will really take on a life of its own, and you can have your own front-row seat to watch everything that is happening. If you are interested, above all, please sign up for the special newsletter. If there is perceived to be a lack of interest, the project may be delayed for until a later time.

Wow, I’m very surprised! I’m sure I was not the only one emailing Frank, but he actually picked up some ideas I send him… 8) This is what I mailed him today, as I thought he should not choose, but embrace both concepts (physical and downloadable releases):

Short term/middle term:
      1. The best 25 live shows in a state-of-the-art CD/DVD box set, but also available as individual releases.
      2. Pisces Iscariot II and III on CD, with a limited edition vinyl release, which is a numbered set with a bonus 7" vinyl.
      3. Pisces Iscariot II and III will become available for downloading (FLAC/MP3) after 3 months of the CD release also.

Long term:
      1. Subscription to a monthly or quarterly 7" release of all songs on Pisces Iscariot II and III CDs.
      2. SP 25 years book.

Worthwhile a try:
      Release all live shows as FLAC/MP3 downloads + on CD like the Nugs.NET concept (presuming they made some profit with the 20th Anniversary Tour of course). Also, same story for all studio material that is worthwhile releasing. This last one can be done also with a subscriptional concept: every quarter or half year an EP with 4-5 songs on CD, and 3 months later they will become available as FLAC/MP3 downloads also.[/quote:3w21enor]
      it’s a bad idea to make downloads available only 3 months after the cd release. people who want a download will never buy it then: they will download it illegally when the cd comes out. (even if they want to pay, they can’t at that time. some people want to pay, but most people, especially these days, don’t want to wait.)
      if you want to combine downloads with a physical release, it’s best to do both at the same time, or even release the download one week earlier.

i guess you suggest this so that there would be an extra advantage for the people who are in the fan club, but it would be a bad thing for the sales outside of the fan club.

also, i think your suggestions are a bit over the top. that will never happen. it’s making things too complicated. and i’d be happy with a lot less, personally. just proper cd and vinyl releases, which will be limited anyway, if i understand it correctly, are good enough for me.

pisces iscariot 2 & 3 would imply a lot of b-sides (i.e. already released), just like the original pisces iscariot and judas o. i don’t think people are waiting for that. milking the concept, by re-releasing every song on a 7" (with a new, unheard track as b-side, i assume), would create even more redundancy.
      this all looks cool from a collector’s point of view (omg so much to collect! omg a box set!), but this is about getting music out, i think. not about spending a year on creating the best release ever.
      like i said, i’m already very happy that they’re planning to release stuff on proper cds.

They did not get rid of the subscription idea totally… who’s in for this?[/quote:2umz2u62]

The media updates will be in the form of exclusive web-video and photographs. [/quote:2umz2u62]
      not sure if i want to pay for web-video and photos. i might do it though. if it’s at least 5 updates per week, that might be interesting to follow.

i remember how the official website used to post videos, especially in the beginning, with that "day in the life" amongst others. cool, but kind of a let down when it didn’t really bring what was announced/expected. and then it mostly stopped.

Arthur
      Spectator

also, i think your suggestions are a bit over the top. that will never happen. it’s making things too complicated. and i’d be happy with a lot less, personally. just proper cd and vinyl releases, which will be limited anyway, if i understand it correctly, are good enough for me.[/quote:d0doyb76]
      I fully disagree with you, Cool. You probably missed the words "short term", "middle term" and "long term", or maybe you don’t know what they imply? Spread these ideas over multiple years, and it’s not over the top anymore. Besides, my ideas I wrote to Frank are for the general market, not for the Cool As Ice Cream market alone… :wink:

i guess you suggest this so that there would be an extra advantage for the people who are in the fan club, but it would be a bad thing for the sales outside of the fan club.[/quote:d0doyb76]
      Again, I disagree. Of course that fan club idea can be extended with a direct or even an early FLAC/MP3 download also for the fan club members, as they are willing to pay something anyway. What you call "outside of the fan club" are mostly people that don’t want to pay anything (and they will just catch that illegal download copy somewhere), and there is the average music buyer that checks out the local record store occasionaly, who is surprised by a new Smashing Pumpkins release. And buys it, maybe. For those people it doesn’t matter when it was released, even if that is 3 months after the fan club release. Same story for the innocent web browser that finds some new downloads on SP.com. (This is almost the same concept as with movies: first in the cinemas, then a few months later available on DVD or Blue Ray, and some months after that you can watch it on TV…)

pisces iscariot 2 & 3 would imply a lot of b-sides (i.e. already released)[/quote:d0doyb76]
      Where did I say that? Aren’t we talking about the Archives here? :roll:
      Of course I meant the so far unknown studio recordings of new songs here! :lol:

milking the concept, by re-releasing every song on a 7" (with a new, unheard track as b-side, i assume), would create even more redundancy.[/quote:d0doyb76]
      Again, I fully disagree. This is not "milking", this is giving a (small, but still profitable I guess) group of vinyl lovers what they want. They are just 1 of the markets for SP. To avoid angry FLAC/MP3/CD lovers I advice not to put new songs on vinyl only.

One thing I really doubt is that this kind of release scheme would be profitable. Unless they make stuff quite expensive, which can be expected for such a small market. But then it would become quite expensive for people like us who would like to collect all releases…

I just prefer getting as much unheard stuff as possible (live and studio, doesn’t matter). I really like that there are going to be cd and vinyl releases, but surely this will mean we will get less out of the archive than we would have gotten if a lot of stuff would be released digital only.

i like the new idea about the physical releases, even if they are a bit more than i would regularly pay for a cd or vinyl, i would be willing to sell blood to get them. i hated the idea of the digital release, it is so cold, unpersonal, and getting extra’s like liner notes and such, i am just really excited.

and i would like to hope that billy isn’t trying to make a huge profit on the archive material. if he can make a few extra dollars by letting visa use today, in order for us to be able to have material that we would not otherwise be able to have, i am 100% ok with that.

Arthur
      Spectator

One thing I really doubt is that this kind of release scheme would be profitable. Unless they make stuff quite expensive, which can be expected for such a small market. But then it would become quite expensive for people like us who would like to collect all releases…[/quote:1axf8aqt]
      That’s why I suggested to Frank that they should not get rid of the subscription idea yet…

I just prefer getting as much unheard stuff as possible (live and studio, doesn’t matter). I really like that there are going to be cd and vinyl releases, but surely this will mean we will get less out of the archive than we would have gotten if a lot of stuff would be released digital only.[/quote:1axf8aqt]
      I’m with you 100% about what we want, but I do not share your worries immediately. I suggested Frank to do both. Create state-of-the-art physical releases of the best stuff to be found in the Archives (a live box set, Pisces Iscariot II and III on CD, a quarterly or half-yearly 7" vinyl and a 4-5 song EP CD subscription model (way cheaper as 300 bucks!), backed up by digital downloads if wanted), and use the Nugs.NET concept for the rest. Meaning: FLAC/MP3 and CD on demand. Also I suggested that they should start working on a big glossy coffee table book about SP 25 Years, with posters, pictures, inside info, gossips… But at the same time I have asked Frank what they (in fact Billy I guess) actually want to release. Everything? Only the best stuffs? On demand only? Otherwise it is hard to decide what business model works best. But I wonder if I ever get a straight answer to that last question… :wink:

Arthur
      Spectator

if he can make a few extra dollars by letting visa use today, in order for us to be able to have material that we would not otherwise be able to have, i am 100% ok with that.[/quote:2pyemkpk]
      Second that! Well said, bullet. 8)

and i would like to hope that billy isn’t trying to make a huge profit on the archive material. if he can make a few extra dollars by letting visa use today, in order for us to be able to have material that we would not otherwise be able to have, i am 100% ok with that.[/quote:239t0eny]
      i’m sure he’s not doing this to make profit. in fact, it’s probably impossible to make a profit on this. it already costed him thousands of dollars just to preserve everything in the archive until now. preparing tapes for a release is expensive too. and then releasing, physical or digital, costs quite a lot too. either you have to have servers to download from and set up an online store or a similar system, or you have to press a cd or vinyl in a relatively small amount, which results in quite an expensive product, reducing the profit you can make.

just think about it: how many people will be interested in these archive releases? surely it will be a lot less than say the people who were interested in buying zeitgeist.
      if they limit each release to 1,000 or 2,000, for example, they will be forced to ask $25 or so for a cd or 2 cd release. it’s a fair price for a release like that, i think. but if they have 20 releases like that in a year, surely a lot of fans that would be interested will now have to conclude that they can’t spend $500 on smashing pumpkins releases in one year.

maybe 20 releases is too much for one year. i don’t know. i had hoped we would get stuff from the archive very frequently. if not, i hope they make a good selection.

i agree with arthur, the physical releases are very cool, but it would be better if they would combine it with releasing a lot more stuff online. just select some "top" archive releases and release those on cd or vinyl.

i can see your point. but if they release the stuff a little less frequently for under $35, i would be able to afford it, as would alot of others. and being able to pick and choose what we wanted to buy would make it more cost effective for the fan, which is what i think they are trying to get at, or at least i hope they are.

i think that the archive stuff will have less people interested, but i don’t think that they are trying to reach those people. with the fan club, imo, they are reaching out to the people who really want it. and only making a limited number, for the fan club, then if those don’t all sell, selling to the gen public. i think that alot of people will find that they are sorry they didn’t sign up.

digitally, well i can’t really comment on it, i am not up on all of that and i don’t think i know enough to be able to comment on it. i personally have a love/hate realationship with it. i love to be able to get stuff so quick, trade and so on with people, but i would rather have a physical release any day. i know alot of people don’t agree with me, but maybe i am just \"old fashioned\" :P .

blueczarina
      Spectator

i think most of the hardcore fan base prefers a physical release. i think we are all a bit old school that way.

i do think the switch to physical releases could pose a money issue for fans though, especially depending on how frequently they release stuff. 20 cds a year for say $25 is a lot. maybe they could do a mixture of both though. the best stuff could be available on cd/vinyl and maybe flac/mp3. then some of the other stuff like them dinking around in the studio with the recorder on could be a cheap download only thing. that way they could release a lot more without breaking the bank on both ends. the fans could buy the cds with premium audio (b-sides, awesome concerts, etc.) so many times a year (but less frequently, so nobody goes broke every month) and then if they want to they could pick up the other stuff as a download for less. i figure that would work with everyone, because its the premium audio that is most likely to sell so putting it on cds gives the band money to work with and releasing fewer cds like that a year allows the fans to be able to afford the stuff. other types of audio that are more like jamming in the studio stuff or whatever is less likely to sell so a cheap download would be more viable. that way band won’t be wasting money on printing enough physical copies of it so \"everyone\" in the fan club can theoretically buy it, even though few probably will. and hey, if its a cheap download thing more will probably be more likely to pick it up then they would if it was in the form of a $25 cd. and there is the general public bit too. if they have leftover cds of the more kick ass stuff they will sell. if they have cds of random sessions (and they would probably have more of those leftover than the better audio) thats not going to sell to the general public. its a waste of money, so that’s another reason to go download only on that stuff.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

why do i not care about this at all? you’d think i would, but i have no opinion whatsoever.

i do have many opinions, or maybe they should just be called ideas. i’m definitely interested in whatever will come out of the archives. but the main feeling towards it is \"let’s wait and see\". i guess being a pumpkins fan for so long has taught me a valuable lesson.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

i do have many opinions, or maybe they should just be called ideas. i’m definitely interested in whatever will come out of the archives. but the main feeling towards it is "let’s wait and see". i guess being a pumpkins fan for so long has taught me a valuable lesson.[/quote:ao08odvg]

exactly. :idea:

Arthur
      Spectator

why do i not care about this at all? you’d think i would, but i have no opinion whatsoever.[/quote:1lf4kp5g]
      Funny thing is, almost the same with me… Only expressing my worries for digital downloads only here and there lately… But last week I just wanted Frank Quinto to know that I was very dissappointed if the "final decision" was subscription to FLAC/MP3 only, so I send him a short email directly. I mean, his e-mail address is all over the place… Not that I expected to hear anything back though. But fact is, we are emailing back and forth since then. My spirit to (try to) make a little difference in this matter comes from many many many conversations I had over the years with Sven, about how cool it would be if we would ever become the "current Frank Quinto", and had the privilege to be Billy’s advisors in his release policy. After the pre-Gish box failure I feel even more eager to have this thing going… 8)

oh well, i emailed him and said how glad i was they decided to go the way he did, i think our emailes canceled eachother out arthur.

Anonymous
      Spectator

we are finally going to get a snippet of some music :)
      and physical copies people!
      almost everyone can be happy :D

Danni
      Spectator

Have not been reading this but this is great news! I would definately subscribe, no question! :shock:

Arthur
      Spectator

Newsletter #7 was send last night. So far I’m still glad with the way they are going. \"We’re going to focus on content. We are looking to try to give you the best value possible, versus what else is out there.\"

Hello SP World!

It’s almost summertime here in Chicago! I want to give you your weekly update from the archives. I’m very glad to see that there is a lot of excitement in the air since I announced that we are going to a fan club model instead of a $300 subscription service. We’re looking at all the different aspects at what the ‘fan club’ will entail. We don’t just want it to be like every other band’s fan clubs. This is going to be very special and unique. We also want the fan club and archive releases to be a great value too. Value is important these days. I just saw that Prince announced a new box set. The box set contains a purple iPod Touch loaded with a 40-minute movie and 15 audio tracks from his 21 Nights concerts. The price is $2,100. They’re offering a limited edition iPod as the main draw of the package. We’re going to focus on content. We are looking to try to give you the best value possible, versus what else is out there. This is a journey that we are going on with all of you. This isn’t about the music business; this is about the band having a relationship with the hardcore fans.

I’ve been getting a lot of comments from fans that are interested in digital releases for the archives. We are going to put out releases in limited edition physical forms, but we are also exploring digital options too. If we release a show in MP3 form, we may only put up the best tracks from that show. In that scenario, if you want the complete show, you can buy the physical release. The sales trends on digital MP3 releases show that people pick and choose the tracks they want to listen to. There are a lot more people who buy individual tracks of an album or a show, than the people who buy the complete MP3 version of a release. Another reason why we might do this is that it would give the fans who buy the physical releases a bonus by having the complete show. We are also exploring the option to have a compilation of these tracks available to other music stores like iTunes. This would also give you the ultimate choice on what you want to buy. Let’s say we put out a show from ’89, and you were only interested in hearing an early version of Rhinoceros. That track could be available in MP3 format, and you can purchase that track instead of buying the whole show. This would also save the shipping costs for international fans who only want certain tracks. What are your thoughts on this?

We are in the process of compiling band photos for these archival releases. When we put up an announcement last year asking for photos and materials from the Gish era, we didn’t get too many responses. We are still interested in what you have from the Gish era, 1988-1992. If you have photos of the band, please contact me. We are interested in any negatives that you may have. We will even pay you $500 if we use it! My e-mail is at the bottom of the page. There is a lot of work going into the fan club and the archival releases. You’re going to see unreleased pictures and footage from the very beginning of the band.

I want to touch on the eBay idea that I mentioned in the blog last week. We are in the process of clearing out some of the old materials from the band. There is going to be a wide variety of material available for sale. The idea is to provide fans a chance to get authentic SP memorabilia. Taking a quick glance on eBay, there are quite a few fake autographs, passes, and other merchandise. There will be very unique items too, like furniture from the old Pumpkinland. I’ll keep you all updated in our progress on that. Keep your comments rolling in, and I’m especially interested in working out a nice balance regarding the topic of digital releases.

Frank[/quote:3qtyjfc9]

i don’t understand why they plan to leave songs out for the digital release. if they’re going to release mp3s, then why not go all the way? are they trying to piss off the people who asked for mp3s? surely a lot of them will be interested in the complete release. and the ones who aren’t can still pick the songs they want.

also, i don’t see why this has to be \"very special and unique\". why not simply go for something good, but that maybe exists already? very special an unique sounds like they will try all kinds of weird stuff, just for the sake of being special and unique. this kind of contradicts focusing on content. no?

very special and unique. what is that even supposed to mean? how did they come up with that? sounds like someone’s confidence needed a boost.
      i really wonder in what way it’ll be very special and unique. i bet in a couple of months, after the first things will have been released, and we look back at this, we will scratch our heads and realize that we still don’t know what’s so special and unique.

i don’t know. it’s \"just\" their archive (no disrespect). no need to blow things up.

blueczarina
      Spectator

i’m more interested in having a chair Billy sat on.

i’m more interested in having a chair Billy shat on.[/quote:2jo7nxfy]
      ew

blueczarina
      Spectator

i’m more interested in having a chair Billy shat on.[/quote:2pp52hwg]
      ew[/quote:2pp52hwg]

i don’t remember typing that "h." :P i’ll let you have that chair. :wink:

and going off of your mp3 comment- yeah, it does seem lame to only offer partial downloads.

Arthur
      Spectator

Oh, yeah, I didn’t read that part about only certain live songs on MP3 very properly… It makes no sense to me, actually. I would do it the other way round: only some very remarkable concerts on a proper physical release, and if possible, all (or most) concerts in digital download formats.

Anonymous
      Spectator

I understand the releasing on digital. There is the option to buy the whole disc digitally right? Not that I would, but some people just don’t want cluttered cd’s laying around, but want all the music still.
      Now as far as releasing discs-fantastic.
      I did touch base on Sp.com about having the fans who subscribe to the fan club/12 week subscription get the archives, of course at an additional cost :P
      this way maybe more people will sign up for the 12 week project, of course this would be like giving one no choice…oh well, it could still work.
      So those that signed up for the fanclub/12 week thing, when the archives become available we get disc and whatever else merchandise get tossed our way and the ones that didn’t sign up go to itunes and purchase the digi downloads…

for the non signer uppers~why wouldn’t anyone want to see inside on the creation of his music????
      I am amazed at his abilities to create!!! And have never heard of an opportunity like this before. It’s like the icing on the cake…still waiting for the cherry and the sprinkles though ;)
      you can do it Billy :D

I understand the releasing on digital. There is the option to buy the whole disc digitally right?[/quote:g7fl61sj]
      No. That’s what they are saying: they want to release mp3s, but for most releases they will not release the whole disc as mp3, but just a selection of the songs.

And I already told you on sp.com: you got the whole 12-week subscription/fan club/archive project deal mixed up.

jawn till dusk
      Spectator

No need to be so abrupt/cheeky all the time.

It’s nice to be nice. :wink:

It’s called being direct. I like it. :(

I’m sorry, jawn till dusk. I really am. Don’t hurt me. :cry:

Anonymous
      Spectator

I’m sorry, jawn till dusk. I really am. Don’t hurt me. :cry:[/quote:2c4shcu2]
      I am hearing the sound of a pissed off cat…after reading your direct comment :P
      Hurt em’ :twisted:

blueczarina
      Spectator

I’m sorry, jawn till dusk. I really am. Don’t hurt me. :cry:[/quote:1fe5cslt]
      I am hearing the sound of a pissed off cat…after reading your direct comment :P
      Hurt em’ :twisted:[/quote:1fe5cslt]

no killing each other boys. :P we should really all get along here. we are a good group and should keep it that way by being nice :wink: or if we are being bratty at least being light-hearted about it.

It makes no sense to me, actually. I would do it the other way round: only some very remarkable concerts on a proper physical release, and if possible, all (or most) concerts in digital download formats.[/quote:1fe5cslt]

and i agree with you Arthur. i figured it would be that way. it makes the most sense to me too and it seems more beneficial from a money standpoint.

Anonymous
      Spectator

no killing each other boys. :P we should really all get along here. we are a good group and should keep it that way by being nice :wink: or if we are being bratty at least being light-hearted about it. [/quote:15z0ymqb]
      wrestling match could always work, body slams :twisted: LOL…you could even have Billy’s little ad promo playing in the background :P

It makes no sense to me, actually. I would do it the other way round: only some very remarkable concerts on a proper physical release, and if possible, all (or most) concerts in digital download formats.[/quote:15z0ymqb]

and i agree with you Arthur. i figured it would be that way. it makes the most sense to me too and it seems more beneficial from a money standpoint.

me too sounds like a pretty good idea as far as live content is concerned…

blueczarina
      Spectator

no killing each other boys. :P we should really all get along here. we are a good group and should keep it that way by being nice :wink: or if we are being bratty at least being light-hearted about it. [/quote:81i8svrn]
      wrestling match could always work, body slams :twisted: LOL…you could even have Billy’s little ad promo playing in the background :P [/quote:81i8svrn]

SPfreaks in a cage :twisted:

spfreaks in a SIX SIDED STEEL CAGE! :twisted:

blueczarina
      Spectator

one cage, one promo, two collectors :twisted:

Doubtful-Della
      Spectator

Has everybody seen \"As a reward for joining us in the construction of this project, Billy Corgan has decided to give free access to the material for all those currently signed up for this newsletter.\"

I’m SO excited. I really hope they go forward with it. I haven’t read the last 6 pages of info, but I am just assuming that most of the people here are excited about it as well and on board with it. I can’t see you guys being the type who think it’s just another way to make money

yep i got that email. i think that is so cool of him to do! i was willing to pay, i didn’t expect it to be free but it’s cool! i never thought he was trying to do it for the money. i think i know billy better than that. he truly loves making music and he wants to let his closest fans be involved in the writing process. i love this idea, i hope it happens. they said there’s a chance it might not… i am keeping my fingers crossed that it does! this will be so great!

Doubtful-Della
      Spectator

yep i got that email. i think that is so cool of him to do! i was willing to pay, i didn’t expect it to be free but it’s cool! i never thought he was trying to do it for the money. i think i know billy better than that. he truly loves making music and he wants to let his closest fans be involved in the writing process. i love this idea, i hope it happens. they said there’s a chance it might not… i am keeping my fingers crossed that it does! this will be so great![/quote:2ah1b7si]

Agreed, I was completely ready to pay. I signed up right away. I think it is a brilliant idea. A way to bridge the gap between musician and fan. A way to give us answers before we ask. A way to let us into his world. I am completely grateful that he is willing to do this.

Anonymous
      Spectator

yeah this is really exciting news!! I am wondering when this will get going. I mean the sooner the better right? fans get anxious after hearing good news. I can hardly wait to hear what is going to happen next with the subscription now!
      :)

Danni
      Spectator

I wouldn’t miss the chance, no, no. :!:

This SP fan club with the new cd/lp releases (for like $40 US or something?) is gonna be awesome if they get it together. I just don’t know WHEN you can sign up for the SP fan club?

mr.benway
      Spectator

This SP fan club with the new cd/lp releases (for like $40 US or something?) is gonna be awesome if they get it together. I just don’t know WHEN you can sign up for the SP fan club?[/quote:3goem8ae]
      Hey Honeymade, the current Newsletter is about the Subscription Service for the New Album Writing! Not the Fan-Club (and Archive Material). These are two different things. At the moment you can’t sign-up for the fan-club.

Danni
      Spectator

Benway: Yeah, I know, it’s probably further ahead. But I just don’t know about this New Album Writing idea. I guess it’s a good idea for the ones that are interested though.

Tion
      Spectator

jippi i got free access, too. sweeet!
      thx billy! :D

Danni
      Spectator

I’m starting to get f***ing tired of this I say. I cant read the \"News\" on http://www.smashingpumpkins.com as it doesn’t work no more in my browser. Aaah. Together with every computer sold there should be a free psychologist.

amnesia
      Spectator

I’m starting to get f***ing tired of this I say. I cant read the "News" on http://www.smashingpumpkins.com as it doesn’t work no more in my browser. Aaah. Together with every computer sold there should be a free psychologist.[/quote:mc0v23o6]

I know, you should use Firefox, but im not goin to install that.(one of my reasons not going there offen)
      They should fix that site proper, its filled with bugs.
      I dont see the problem sorting out those problems, its easy piecy to fix that. :roll:

mr.benway
      Spectator

I know, you should use Firefox, but im not goin to install that.[/quote:2pp564vu]
      :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

(Portable Version of Firefox: http://portableapps.com/news/2009-04-27 … ble_3.0.10 (you can run it from an usb-stick)

blueczarina
      Spectator

whoa, i should get that benway. that would be great for work. they have a super crappy outdated internet explorer there. :wink: plus it leaves no trace :!: which means no getting in trouble.

Anonymous
      Spectator

I think I might have to look into that a little further..or just stay the f*** off the pc

i have firefox here at home and i never have that problem with reading the sp news page. at work they have internet explorer and i can’t read the sp news most of the time.

Danni
      Spectator

I’ll see if I’ll use the Firefox. My girlfriend uses a thing called Safari. Anyone familiar with that?

Thanx for the advice anyway. :wink:

some pumpkins
      Spectator

whoa, i should get that benway. that would be great for work. they have a super crappy outdated internet explorer there. :wink: plus it leaves no trace :!: which means no getting in trouble.[/quote:3nlsfs0x]

what are YOU looking at at work? hmmm

blueczarina
      Spectator

nothing. just the news, tmz, ebay, here, etc. its the hospital though and my bosses keep threatening to watch our internet activities, because we are suppose to be helping the patients not dinking on myspace and whatever. basically they supposedly pick weeks and watch us or something. i think its an empty threat, but i’m not sure. :roll: plus the internet at work sucks and freezes all the time.

some pumpkins
      Spectator

my boss seems to be getting a little frustrated with my internet activities lately too. (when he catches me, that is) but it is kinda hard for him to complain when i keep making those sales.

blueczarina
      Spectator

yeah, my problem is i work a 12 hour shifts and we aren’t always busy in the ER, so its like what do you do. its hard to keep busy and its hard to stay awake, because i have to get up at 4 am to be there by 6 am.

some pumpkins
      Spectator

you sound like a hard worker blue. and i hear ya about the 4 am wakeup call. i wake up up at 4:41 every morning. starbucks has been my medicine lately.

blueczarina
      Spectator

i love coffee, but i need to stop drinking it.

some pumpkins
      Spectator

i dont really like the taste, but a grande iced caramel macchiato with extra caramel, is like liquid candy! but it totally gives me the jitters.

blueczarina
      Spectator

i don’t like plain coffee either. i do love those flavored coffees though, especially with whip cream and caramel. they are definitely liquid candy and also pretty fattening.

some pumpkins
      Spectator

yeah. its a bad habit to get into. im trying to phaze them out of my daily routine.

blueczarina
      Spectator

me too. i’m also a tea addict, so i just try to drink that or water.

some pumpkins
      Spectator

tea and water are great habits to get into. i drink too much water.

blueczarina
      Spectator

too much water? :P

some pumpkins
      Spectator

im ALWAYS thirsty. i drink a bottle in one sip sometimes. probably 8 bottles a day. it makes me feel sick sometimes. but im ALWAYS thirsty. its weird.

blueczarina
      Spectator

that is weird. i always try to sip water throughout that day but not like that.

some pumpkins
      Spectator

oh, you mean the way you’re supposed to drink water? im working on that.

blueczarina
      Spectator

haha, yup :P

some pumpkins
      Spectator

i just signed up for health insurance. im gonna ask the doctor why im so thirsty.

blueczarina
      Spectator

that’s a good plan. it might be something medical. you never know.

some pumpkins
      Spectator

to be continued…

do you get any freebie medical services since you work in a hospital?

blueczarina
      Spectator

i get free health insurance and then i can add dental and vision if i want.

some pumpkins
      Spectator

sonofabitch!! free health insurance! right on blue. im jealous.

blueczarina
      Spectator

i thought it was pretty damn good too. can’t beat free.

some pumpkins
      Spectator

good for you blue :D 4:41 is coming up pretty soon. its time to crash. be well blue.

blueczarina
      Spectator

you too. have a good day at work. :D

Tion
      Spectator

the link for subscription doesnt work anymore, am i right?! :?

Tion
      Spectator

I’ll see if I’ll use the Firefox. My girlfriend uses a thing called Safari. Anyone familiar with that?

Thanx for the advice anyway. :wink:[/quote:h7qd4cfv]
      safari is the browser for macintosh computers.
      if you have a microsoft computer here is my advice: firefox!
      its safer, has some fine "add- ons" and showes websites correct. ( as smashingpumpkins.com).
      and no, i dont get money from mozilla. (firefox) .

my second advice for today is dont use "chrome", the google browser.
      beta versions and some strange behaviors :lol:

Anonymous
      Spectator

I agree with Tion 100%. I’ve had firefox for years and really no major issues.
      unless you all have hacked into my system without my knowledge :P

i have! hehehe :twisted:

Anonymous
      Spectator

hmmmm

blueczarina
      Spectator

i like Firefox. superlord suggested it awhile back and i’m glad i switched. and it does have some nice add ons. plus you can choose a theme/ skin for your browser, which i also like.

Arthur
      Spectator

Man! I just re-read the Archive blogs of Frank Quinto, and this quote (from #6, April 17, 2009) means we are really really talking about something here! :shock: Can’t wait to see the first releases! :shock:

\"There are over 15,000 tapes sitting in the archive. Almost every show, studio session, demo, tour rehearsal, and sound check is in the vault. It’s all on a variety of formats too, like reels, cassettes, DAT tapes, ADAT tapes, and so on.\"

Danni
      Spectator

So, what’s going on in the SP Subscription world lately?

Haven’t heard much.

blueczarina
      Spectator

i wonder if it all will even happen to tell you the truth.

Danni
      Spectator

i wonder if it all will even happen to tell you the truth.[/quote:jkqvhs9i]

Really? Why would you think so, Blue?

The sad thing is that wouldn’t surprise me either. :?

i thought they said they were leaning toward the direction of a boxset instead of subscription…

some pumpkins
      Spectator

a boxed set seems to be the way they’re going now, because people didnt want to pay for individual tracks. i really don’t care what format they choose, i just want this stuff to see the light of day. i would have paid for the subscription. and i will pay for a boxed set too.

Anonymous
      Spectator

well a box set would be great. I just hope we get to see all the music. It would have been better to have a subscription, but maybe it was just too much of a headache for them.
      I’m worried we won’t get all the music this way…

Danni
      Spectator

I would love a version of songs like Razor for instance with better sound quality. I mean, I really would die for that. I don’t understand all the hesitation regarding every SP project. It’s like at first it’s just all \"Wow!! This is gonna be a smasher!\" then afterwards just—– nothing.

They should have done better research from the beginning. I think people will get tired of all these dropped \"projects\"?

some pumpkins
      Spectator

i hate it when cool ideas don’t see the light of day. i wish people would have been willing to pay a large subscription fee, because that would have given them a budget to be as all incluseive as they wanted. and i fear too that we wont get nearly as much audio in a boxed set format. i had written to frank last week suggesting the boxed sets should be done year by year. the first one could be special with a little bit from every era(include some of the popular requests to keep the sheeple happy). and then proceed with a boxed set for every year, starting with 88 or 89. some sets could be bigger than others depending on what the pumpkins did that year. like the 93 set would have all the siamese dream stuff (tours, demos, rehearsals, and the 94 set could include shows and all of the gravity demos billy recorded. and take preorders for each set, so you dont make too many. just a thought.

Danni
      Spectator

I just really hope they listened to your idea, Pumpkins. I think that would definately be a hit.

On the other hand, I just don’t know what the problem is this time with the subscription idea and why they are choosing to cancel (speculations only?)

some pumpkins
      Spectator

i think because it would be too pricey for the average fan

Danni
      Spectator

At least we, the folks on spfreaks are more than average fans, right? :P

I would definately buy those $40 archive release-things that they were speaking ago a while back. Also, limited releases would be the bomb.

some pumpkins
      Spectator

i would have gone for the $300 subscription they first brought up

blueczarina
      Spectator

me too. i actually liked the subscription/ fan club idea best although i like box sets.

there are not enough people like us spfreaks… the average fan complained too much about the pricing and they figured not enough people would be \"in\" to merit going the subscription route.
      i think they might be so hesitant on releasing the project because of the fans. it seems to me like they are trying very hard to get it just right, so they can make the most people as possible happy with it.

Anonymous
      Spectator

I wish they could do both or have SP radio on the dang site that we can pay a small fee for it to have access to music on the site. Which would also include a lot of rarities. Unlike the aol radio this could have those songs that haven’t ever seen the light of day. But I would still rather have the subscription service. And if there was radio somehow people will still manage to bitch about paying for music on the site when it should be free-I know I would pay for the subscription and for the radio, but I would really like t o have music on the page when we are on it-then we all hear the same song and you wouldn’t be able to skip songs either.

I am still worried that we won’t see everything with these box sets. We might miss a lot of music still. They can’t do box sets for everything.

Arthur
      Spectator

The box sets might bring in enough money to sponsor the other projects later? :roll:

Anonymous
      Spectator

oooh you think so, that would be awesome!!!!
      But I just want to buy the box sets!! and then what comes next would be fantastic too, but I want music and artsy boxes and I am all riled up for them!

Arthur
      Spectator

Just guessing you know… I also agree that we didn’t hear much details lately… :wink:

But to call it that things are called off maybe, no way. These are huge projects, and take sometimes years to complete.

Anonymous
      Spectator

no, I don’t know everything Arthur gees :P
      But I am very excited for these to get moving along! Of course Sven’s article really hyped up the boxed sets more so too!
      No way is right these will be coming along at some point. I think Billy likes boxed sets :P

Arthur
      Spectator

no, I don’t know everything Arthur gees :P[/quote:3qgaol3o]
      I know, I know… I meant I was just guessing:wink:

Anonymous
      Spectator

no, I don’t know everything Arthur gees :P[/quote:37bk5qj4]
      I know, I know… I meant I was just guessing:wink:[/quote:37bk5qj4]
      :P
      silly Arthur

Viewing 201 reply threads

The forum ‘General’ is closed to new topics and replies.