Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author

blueczarina
      Keymaster

I finally rooted around and found the mp3 of G.L.O.W. Kinda gave it a once through listen, nothing special. Then I listened a second time. And a third. Then it finally hit me.

The Smashing Pumpkins are back!

I was thinking, what other band is writing material like this right now in today’s musical climate? I still haven’t been able to answer this question. Call it American Gothic, call it whatever you want. I like to call it the Smashing Pumpkins.

After G.L.O.W., I no longer feel like I’m listening to Billy and Jimmy (plus two stage hands). Feels like a cohesive band again, making a musical statement that matters. The only album that truly matched exactly with the times was MCIS. Everyone got it, and it was hailed as a masterpiece because of the diversity, depth, and catchiness of the singles.

Honestly, I feel like I’m listening to the first single off the band’s newest album (I wish that were the case). But, I’m loving the feel of the band vs. what I felt about Zeitgeist, which was just Billy and Jimmy. I’m excited again!

Long live the Smashing Pumpkins!

Anonymous
      Spectator

HELL YEAH!!! See I told you a while back they are Back!!! Just had to have a little faith….

I am a big fan of Zeitgeist and everything they do!!that’s no surprise :lol:

Do you think GLOW was recorded by the entire band, or just by Billy and Jimmy?

some pumpkins
      Spectator

i have a feeling it was just billy and jimmy

Anonymous
      Spectator

Well if it was Billy and Jimmy it kicks ass in my book either way. I thought I heard Ginger, but when you have all those magical buttons and equipment in the studio-who knows. It was probably Billy I heard. And he sounds good….

jawn till dusk
      Spectator

Billy probably done it all. :D

manillascissor
      Keymaster

Gonna go out on a limb and say was full band.

I think the point is, even if Ginger recorded something on Zeitgeist (which she didn’t), it would still just be her playing their shit.

Something about this song smells of collective agreement.

some pumpkins
      Spectator

Gonna go out on a limb and say was full band.

I think the point is, even if Ginger recorded something on Zeitgeist (which she didn’t), it would still just be her playing their shit.

Something about this song smells of collective agreement.[/quote:2uqk2hs4]

i hope thats the case too. i generally like the idea more of the whole band doing the recording other than piecing a song together. with that being said, billy has enormous talent for being able to come up with the shit he has throughout the history of the pumpkins. if thats how it has to go in order to have those songs, so be it.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

i love your avatar. where did you get it?

Anonymous
      Spectator

bloo made it and I took it with her permission…

blueczarina
      Spectator

bloo made it and I took it with her permission…[/quote:8kthuid6]

hehe, actually i found it and laughed my ass off and forwarded it off to you :lol: its funny, but distracting. Billy.

Im a Cult Hero
      Spectator

I have to say I’m kind of skeptical about what G.L.O.W. signifies as regard to the future of SP, after all they dug through their old unfinished songs to come up with this.
      Perhaps that’s why it feels like a full band? Because the music of G.L.O.W. was written by the original Pumpkins line up?
      I hate to be the one downer on this, but although I like the song, the fact that they looked backwards was disappointing to me.

Billy has yet to create something musically that I haven’t liked though, I have every faith in SP that the next album will be awesome.

blueczarina
      Spectator

I have to say I’m kind of skeptical about what G.L.O.W. signifies as regard to the future of SP, after all they dug through their old unfinished songs to come up with this.
      Perhaps that’s why it feels like a full band? Because the music of G.L.O.W. was written by the original Pumpkins line up?
      I hate to be the one downer on this, but although I like the song, the fact that they looked backwards was disappointing to me.

Billy has yet to create something musically that I haven’t liked though, I have every faith in SP that the next album will be awesome.[/quote:13ukgj50]

i agree about the band thing. i think it sounds like a full band, because it dates back to when James and Darcy were still there. its bound to sound pumpkin.

otherwise i’m not sure that Ginger and Jeff were there for the recording- my guess would be no. its probably BC/JC.

as for looking backwards, i’m not sure i mind that exactly in this case. they have some awesome rifts- why not use them. but i will agree that i like it when they suprise us with something new though too. they have always been original and innovative with their music before and i like to see that. but i will try to be open about all things pumpkin regardless.

Viewing 12 reply threads

The forum ‘General’ is closed to new topics and replies.