Viewing 145 reply threads
  • Author

jawn till dusk
      Spectator

and here we go, this won’t be a one-off so we can expect a tour of some kind i guess…
      http://rockinriolisboa.sapo.pt/noticias … isboa-2012

linkin park, the offspring and limp bizkit?!?
      wow. i have no words for this.

do you think they’ll play pinkpop again? i believe it’s around the same time.

Sven
      Spectator

don’t think so, but it might be so… very very slim chance…
      i just can’t believe Pinkpop didn’t book TSP this year.
      the programme has massive names in The Cure and Bruce Springsteen & The E-Street Band.
      TSP would fit in perfectly.

Arthur
      Spectator

Worthwhile a watch, their crisp performance 2 days ago in Portugal. Funny that they played Black Diamond from Kiss, with Mike on vocals.

The whole show: http://vimeo.com/42931928

Some highlights on YouTube:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJvsIXw2xY8[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtJpfpQ_Mao[/youtube]

manillascissor
      Keymaster

a few things:

it’s hilarious to me how he signals for mike to come in. i can’t tell if that was a preworked out method or if billy is just mad that mike hadn’t already started to count off. i think jimmy is/was just such an amazing drummer, billy was spoiled for 20 years. that’s not to say mike isn’t good, but it is to say jimmy is a demi-god (drumi-god).

that performance feels dated. when i listen to billy trying to sing and then scream, it doesn’t work. i was impressed with the vocals on the zeitgeist tour, and the rsd 2010 concert, but not so much right there.

he also comes across slightly bloated? perhaps the camera/stage adds 10-50 lbs?

was pretty cool seeing him on the ground working the amp and feedback, until he had to get up. it was like it happened in three sequences. akin to a grandmother getting off the toilet.

i liked the pantera outro.

Arthur
      Spectator

a few things:

it’s hilarious to me how he signals for mike to come in. i can’t tell if that was a preworked out method or if billy is just mad that mike hadn’t already started to count off. i think jimmy is/was just such an amazing drummer, billy was spoiled for 20 years. that’s not to say mike isn’t good, but it is to say jimmy is a demi-god (drumi-god).

that performance feels dated. when i listen to billy trying to sing and then scream, it doesn’t work. i was impressed with the vocals on the zeitgeist tour, and the rsd 2010 concert, but not so much right there.

he also comes across slightly bloated? perhaps the camera/stage adds 10-50 lbs?

was pretty cool seeing him on the ground working the amp and feedback, until he had to get up. it was like it happened in three sequences. akin to a grandmother getting off the toilet.

i liked the pantera outro.[/quote:2dfy6dxa]
      I know what you mean, but I disagree with the analysis. The screaming still works, but it is a professional scream instead of a heartfelt scream. Nothing wrong with that, he should save his voice for gigs over the many many Smashing Pumpkins years to come. Bloated? Yes, and I’m thankful for that. He looked like a collapsing zombie a few years ago (remember his collapse on stage?), that I feared for his career. Glad he gained some weight. And no grandmother feelings here also. The guy is 45, for f*cks sake! It is cool to see him slowly rise like a guitar phoenix. :P

manillascissor
      Keymaster

The screaming still works, but it is a professional scream instead of a heartfelt scream. [/quote:305rfyf6]

i think this is where i find the disconnect. sure he has to preserve his voice, but it comes across as heartless and that’s one of the biggest draws to the SP brand; the emotion. :?

marigold
      Spectator

I think now he’s older, the heartfelt screaming is harder – and that is probably why he had that collapse on the stage that time – and doesn’t want that to happen again! So he’s figured out a way of screaming in a way that won’t make him do that.
      He looks healthy and happy :)

Arthur
      Spectator

I’m sure manillascissor at all times sings heartfelt lullabies to his children too.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

i’m pretty sure he collapsed due to heat exhaustion, not screaming. it may have been during screaming, but not because of it.

jupiter
      Spectator

i’m sure we can all agree that he doesnt have the voice he had 15 years ago!

Arthur
      Spectator

Europe, check!

http://twitter.com/Billy/status/2316221 … 36/photo/1

\"OCEANIA coming soon to a venue near you Manilla, Taipei, Seoul. MEXICO, CANADA, USA, SOUTH AMERICA, EUROPE, MARS\"

This is, however, the last time we will ever see them. Mars is far away, and an unfriendly place, health-wise.

marigold
      Spectator

Cool that Canada fans will get to see them again.

I have a feeling they won’t be coming back to NZ again. Well, Billy might return with a solo or other project but not with SP. The lack of promotion meant there weren’t that many people attending, and they probably made a loss getting themselves and the giant orb over to NZ.

That could apply to some other places too – so if they play anywhere near you – go see them while you can!

mr.benway
      Spectator

The Smashing Pumkins are coming back to Europe in 2013. The first tour dates & tickets are available

24.06. РParis, France @ Le z̩nith
      25.06. – Saint-Herblain, France @ Zenith Nantes Metropole

04.07. – Lille, France @ Zenith Arena
      09.07. – Luxembourg @ Rockhal
      12.07. – Slovakia @ Pohoda Festival
      16.07. РVienne, France @ Th̢̩tre Antique de Vienne
      18.07. РPortugal @ Festival Mar̩s Vivas

Tickets for the shows in France:
      Tickets for the shows in Luxembourg

And perhaps some shows in GB, Belgium & the Netherlands…
      And trillions of canceled shows in Germany ( :roll: )

King of Gloom
      Spectator

Looks like the prices are no different from 2 years ago. I’m still waiting for a date here in the Netherlands, but I also might go to a second show if they’re playing Belgium too!

Arthur
      Spectator

And perhaps some shows in GB, Belgium & the Netherlands…[/quote:1d9nlx1z]
      Yay! :D

I also might go to a second show if they’re playing Belgium too![/quote:1d9nlx1z]
      Yay again! :D

jawn till dusk
      Spectator

Glasgow please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

King of Gloom
      Spectator

New date: June 21st – Hurricane Festival, Germany!

EDIT: And more!

July 10th – Arena Wien, Austria
      June 20th – Live Music Hall, Germany

Arthur
      Spectator

I feel a Dutch date coming… Almost… :roll:

marigold
      Spectator

yay for Germany! Hope those dates don’t get cancelled…

I’m sure they won’t miss out the Netherlands :)

But there’s nothing on here… yet http://www.smashingpumpkins.com/tour/

Spag
      Spectator

I’m going to get myself a ticket for Cologne and hopefully some Dutch and Belgian shows. :D

Arthur
      Spectator

I’m going to get myself a ticket for Cologne and hopefully some Dutch and Belgian shows. :D[/quote:ywt79zyw]
      I might do the same. :)

King of Gloom
      Spectator

yay for Germany! Hope those dates don’t get cancelled…

I’m sure they won’t miss out the Netherlands :)

But there’s nothing on here… yet http://www.smashingpumpkins.com/tour/[/quote:1pfw1tr7]

Yeah I think that’s kinda strange. They didn’t update their Events on Facebook as well, nor did they post anything on Twitter. I guess they will do that when the list is complete?

Arthur
      Spectator

TicketAlarm just send me an email about these dates:

20.06.2013 Köln
      09.07.2013 Esch Alzette / Luxemburg (new date!)
      10.07.2013 Wien

Luxemburg is 3.5 – 4 hrs drive from my place, I considered that in 2007 too… But ended up going to Pinkpop NL instead. Let’s see what other dates/venues pop up. So far Köln is the best option (2.5 hrs drive).

it was almost impossible to get tickets for the luxemburg gig in 2007. i remember trying.

Spag
      Spectator

Just bought a Cologne ticket. Two days before a Bruce Springsteen concert I’m attending. It will be a good week.

alladnzane
      Spectator

i will have fun at ROCK-HAL because of the BOX configuration (if anything doesn’t change)!!! and you what this mean…

Spag
      Spectator

i will have fun at ROCK-HAL because of the BOX configuration (if anything doesn’t change)!!! and you what this mean…[/quote:38stis19]

I don’t actually.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

but he never used the word know, so you must have figured at least that part out. :P

jeroendocter
      Spectator

live nation is saying the will play:

Rock in Roma, Rome Italie 14 july 2013

jeroendocter
      Spectator

and the are playing the Hurricane festival in Germany 21 till 23 june

Sven
      Spectator

Belgian show announced: Dour Festival
      http://www.dourfestival.be/en/artist/de … -Pumpkins/

Belgian show announced: Dour Festival
      http://www.dourfestival.be/en/artist/de … -Pumpkins/[/quote:33stgudx]
      ooh. i’ve never been to dour before. apparently it’s very alternative, and fairly cheap too.

Arthur
      Spectator

Dour or Koln, both is a little over 2.5 hrs drive for me. Interesting… :roll:

King of Gloom
      Spectator

I like how Dour says they are supporting their latest album: ‘Ocean’. :lol:

marigold
      Spectator

Dour or Koln, both is a little over 2.5 hrs drive for me. Interesting… :roll:[/quote:2w2mutn5]

sheesh, that’s nothing :P

Sven
      Spectator

Dour or Koln, both is a little over 2.5 hrs drive for me. Interesting… :roll:[/quote:37v8fq79]

trust me Arthur; you’d wanna go for Cologne…
      the Dour Festival, well, a big no-no in terms of bad organisation/dirt et cetera…

Spag
      Spectator

You could also go for Paris or Lille, if there are still tickets. I’m considering going to one of those shows too.

Sven
      Spectator

depending on what the Dutch show will be, I’m in for a trip to Cologne…

still considering the option of having a nice trip to Paris :)

jawn till dusk
      Spectator

Manchester July 1st

Glasgow July 2nd (YEEHAW!) :D

London July 22nd

Glasgow at least,hopefully more!

King of Gloom
      Spectator

Great for the British fans! But Billy, I’ll give you one single hint:

Sven
      Spectator

2013 TOUR DATES

May 18 – Rock on the Range – Columbus, OH – On-sale 2/1

June 20 – Live Music Hall – Cologne, Germany

June 21-23 – Southside Festival – Germany – Get tickets

June 21-23 – Hurricane Festival – Germany – Get tickets

June 24 – Zenith – Paris, France – Get tickets

June 25 – Zenith – Nantes, France – Get tickets

June 28 – Azkena Music Festival – Get tickets

July 1 – Academy – Manchester, UK – On-sale 2/1

July 2 – Academy – Glasgow, UK – On-sale 2/1

July 4 – Zenith – Lille, France – Get tickets

July 9 – Rockhal – Luxembourg – Get tickets

July 10 – Open Air Arena – Vienna, Austria – Get tickets

July 12 – Pohoda Festival, Slovakia – Get tickets

July 14 – Rock in Roma Festival, Italy – Get tickets

July 16 – Theatre Antique – Vienne, France – Get tickets

July 18 – Mares Vivas Festival, Portugal – Get tickets

July 20 – Gurten Festival – Switzerland – Get tickets

July 21 – Dour Music Festival – Belgium – Get tickets

July 22 – Wembley Arena – London, UK – On-sale 2/1

http://www.smashingpumpkins.com/tour/

I still think there’s room and an option for a Dutch show between Lille and Luxembourg or even before the Cologne-show. Fingers crossed for the Dutchies!

Spag
      Spectator

Maybe they’re considering/negotiating with Pinkpop, which is before Cologne (June 14-6)?

King of Gloom
      Spectator

Maybe they’re considering/negotiating with Pinkpop, which is before Cologne (June 14-6)?[/quote:1ok9k92k]

That is possible. As far as I know, they’ve only announced two headliners so far (Green Day and Queens of the Stone Age), there is still room for a few more. Fingers crossed!

Maybe they’re considering/negotiating with Leerdammer’s International Cheese Biennale?

Gert-Jans Zomerse Klompenbeurs – Feestelijke Vijfde Editie!

Albert Heijn’s Molenfestival

Kees’ en Joops Veertigste Verjaardag Barbecue

Bingo-avond te Woonzorgcentrum Avondrust, Breda.

(Maybe.)

Prins Willem-Alexander van Oranjes \"Asjemenou\" Afterparty, April 30, Amsterdam.

Just thinking out loud here.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

can’t read that language. assume you are making jokes, which are probably funny. but have no clue.

Arthur
      Spectator

Kees’ en Joops Veertigste Verjaardag Barbecue[/quote:2x20ntk2]
      No way, really? Kees is een halfneef van mijn achtergrootopa, dan mag ik vast ook wel komen!

Arthur
      Spectator

Prins Willem-Alexander van Oranjes "Asjemenou" Afterparty, April 30, Amsterdam.[/quote:110gzb3n]
      This cracked me :lol:

@manillascissor: Queen Beatrix of Holland just announced she is going to retire, and her son Prince Willem is going to take the throne on April 30. SP playing on the royal "oh my god" afterparty would bring a huge smile on my face. :lol:

manillascissor
      Keymaster

Prins Willem-Alexander van Oranjes "Asjemenou" Afterparty, April 30, Amsterdam.[/quote:1tnsbbfn]
      This cracked me :lol:

@manillascissor: Queen Beatrix of Holland just announced she is going to retire, and her son Prince Willem is going to take the throne on April 30. SP playing on the royal "oh my god" afterparty would bring a huge smile on my face. :lol:[/quote:1tnsbbfn]

hahaha, monarchy concert. would be sweet.

can’t read that language. assume you are making jokes, which are probably funny. but have no clue.[/quote:1197dsdm]
      i’m sorry about that.

let me try to make it up to you, and provide some translations:
      Gert-Jan’s Summer Clogs Fair – Festive Fifth Edition
      Albert Heijn’s Mill Festival ( is a Dutch supermarket chain)
      Kees’ and Joop’s 40th Birthday BBQ (Kees and Joop are very Dutch names)
      Bingo night at nursing home Evening Rest, Breda (nothing typical Dutch about this, except the location, Breda, which is in the Netherlands, somewhere)

manillascissor
      Keymaster

ah yes. those are indeed funny. thanks for the translations. :lol:

bingo night is more my speed these days.

marigold
      Spectator

[/quote:1ebv0lvy]

I think they might need more hints…!

and Billy will be (playing?) at a bingo night next week – so a bingo night is not too odd.

King of Gloom
      Spectator

Alright, I’m gonna get a ticket to the show in Cologne. Anyone else going?

Sven
      Spectator

confirmed:

130726 – Paradiso, Amsterdam, NL
      130727 – 013, Tilburg, NL

Arthur
      Spectator

confirmed:

130726 – Paradiso, Amsterdam, NL
      130727 – 013, Tilburg, NL[/quote:18owtzi9]
      Hiha, that’s what I have been waiting for! Forget Koln (or maybe not, I might still go there also…), and I will definately try to get tickets for these 2 shows! 8)

Arthur
      Spectator

Alright, I’m gonna get a ticket to the show in Cologne. Anyone else going?[/quote:2grnps7c]
      I’m thinking of going, but since there are 2 dutch shows announced just now, I might only want to go when I can travel/meet up with friends like you. What do you think?

Spag
      Spectator

I’ve got a Cologne ticket, so I’ll be there regardless.

King of Gloom
      Spectator

Alright, I’m gonna get a ticket to the show in Cologne. Anyone else going?[/quote:3ohcvtix]
      I’m thinking of going, but since there are 2 dutch shows announced just now, I might only want to go when I can travel/meet up with friends like you. What do you think?[/quote:3ohcvtix]

Hmmm I haven’t bought that ticket yet, don’t know if I’m gonna do it with these two shows in the Netherlands. I’ll be in Tilburg and Amsterdam for sure!

And wow, Paradiso and 013? That’s something completely different than the HMH they played in 2011!

EDIT: I see My Bloody Valentine are playing De Effenaar in May, tickets are on sale this Saturday too! This is gonna be awesome! :o

Sven
      Spectator

Paradiso tidkets secured.

Won’t be doing 013.

MBV tickets secured.

nice :)

Sven
      Spectator

10.24 > looks like Paradiso is SOLD OUT

King of Gloom
      Spectator

Tickets are still available for Paradiso I believe!

I only got a ticket for the 013 show and My Bloody Valentine. If tickets for Paradiso are still available on Tuesday (and I doubt that), I’ll get those too. I need to get payed first :lol:

Sven
      Spectator

Hmmm… loos like it now yeah…, Strange… but oh well… tix secured :)

King of Gloom
      Spectator

Hmmm… loos like it now yeah…, Strange… but oh well… tix secured :)[/quote:2iiwebth]

Oh well I bought a ticket for Paradiso as well. I found some money I saved from my birthday. So SP, 2 days in a row? HELL YEAH!

Sven
      Spectator

Hmmm… loos like it now yeah…, Strange… but oh well… tix secured :)[/quote:269gdl72]

Oh well I bought a ticket for Paradiso as well. I found some money I saved from my birthday. So SP, 2 days in a row? HELL YEAH![/quote:269gdl72]

nice one :)

Arthur
      Spectator

Tickets secured for both Amsterdam and Tilburg. That was at 10:15 this morning.

Sven
      Spectator

It’s gonna be one big reunion there at the Paradiso :)

Most of us haven’t EVER seen the band at the best venue in the world, so duh… here we go!!! :)

According to the Paradiso-website: the show is still not sold out (Sunday, 10.36) which I feel is kind of a let down… The band totally lost its momentum somehow… But still: at least we’ll be there to see them :)

Arthur
      Spectator

I’m taking a friend, Raymond, with me. As far as I know, Milan is only going to Tilburg. But yeah, I expected Paradiso to sell out rather quickly too. Maybe not like in 1995, but 1,500 fans (max!) for an intimate rock show in freakin’ Paradiso with a Smashing Pumpkins playing like in HMH, how hard is that decision? When I think of it, we even have a chance that a few songs of the ‘cruel’ new album are on the setlist!

Arthur
      Spectator

I’ve got a Cologne ticket, so I’ll be there regardless.[/quote:2tgklqn0]
      Did you buy tickets for either Amsterdam or Tilburg too?

King of Gloom
      Spectator

Paradiso just sold out!

Spag
      Spectator

I’ve got a Cologne ticket, so I’ll be there regardless.[/quote:1lb0bobh]
      Did you buy tickets for either Amsterdam or Tilburg too?[/quote:1lb0bobh]

I bought tickets for both.

Spag
      Spectator

Hmmm… loos like it now yeah…, Strange… but oh well… tix secured :)[/quote:1cxkpw0o]

Oh well I bought a ticket for Paradiso as well. I found some money I saved from my birthday. So SP, 2 days in a row? HELL YEAH![/quote:1cxkpw0o]

Nice! See you there!

Arthur
      Spectator

Paradiso just sold out![/quote:yglcyzgl]
      I noticed sellers trying to get 95 euro for a ticket. Damn.

Arthur
      Spectator

I’ve got a Cologne ticket, so I’ll be there regardless.[/quote:1orjt4pm]
      Did you buy tickets for either Amsterdam or Tilburg too?[/quote:1orjt4pm]

I bought tickets for both.[/quote:1orjt4pm]
      8)

Arthur
      Spectator

Dutchies, anyone remember HMH Amsterdam 2011? This is what we’re gettin’ again, I’m quite sure. 8)

http://www.livexs.nl/2011/29719/frontpa … usic-hall/

And 013 Tilburg is still NOT sold out yet!

King of Gloom
      Spectator

Dutchies, anyone remember HMH Amsterdam 2011? This is what we’re gettin’ again, I’m quite sure. 8)

http://www.livexs.nl/2011/29719/frontpa … usic-hall/

And 013 Tilburg is still NOT sold out yet![/quote:3540h9xu]

That was an awesome show! I expect this one to be even cooler because the venues are 4 times smaller!

marigold
      Spectator

[/quote:3mgcscmo]

It seems like Billy got the hint finally – glad for you guys! :)

Arthur
      Spectator

Tickets to 013 Tilburg and Paradiso Amsterdam shows arrived today. 8)

Spag
      Spectator

If my memory & sometimes unreadable notes don’t betray me, this was last night’s setlist (Cologne):

Quasar
      Panopticon
      Starz
      Rocket
      Space oddity
      XYU
      Disarm
      Tonite reprise
      Tonight, tonight
      Pinwheels
      Oceania
      Pale horse
      BWBW
      Ava adore
      One diamond
      Blank page
      The imploding voice
      Zero
      SIYL
      United States
      —encore1—
      (new or cover)
      Today
      —encore2—
      Porcelina

I thought it was a good show, especially liked this rendition of Blank Page, with beautiful backing vocals by Nicole. Also The imploding voice was a nice surprise. Still trying to figure out what that first song of the encores was.

i’ve read that they played a cover of the led zeppelin song \"the immigrant song\". was that the first song of the encores?

Spag
      Spectator

Just watched the original on Youtube, I think you’re right. I obviously don’t know my rock classics. :oops:

marigold
      Spectator

Rocket!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9CsTyIHPGE[/youtube]

Just watched the original on Youtube, I think you’re right. I obviously don’t know my rock classics. :oops:[/quote:3nkah15a]
      shame on you! :P

King of Gloom
      Spectator

What were the surprises Billy was talking about a few days ago? Or was that just about the setlist?

Also, I can’t believe the 013 show still hasn’t sold out. Crazy!

Spag
      Spectator

What were the surprises Billy was talking about a few days ago? Or was that just about the setlist?[/quote:19hl1gj1]

I have no idea. :?

Spag
      Spectator

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftTMXwTmpIg[/youtube]

marigold
      Spectator

What were the surprises Billy was talking about a few days ago? [/quote:vgl38s4r]

where was he talking about surprises?

hmm no video of the Led Zep cover yet – hope someone recorded it!

Arthur
      Spectator

Sven
      Spectator

Rocket still needs some ‘Schwung’ but I’m so psyched they’re playing this song now…!!!
      looking forward to this new rendition! :)

selittle
      Spectator

I saw them play in Cologne last Thursday and it was awesome!
      So awesome that I bought a ticket for Luxemburg on Friday :D
      Anybody out there going to Luxemburg, too?

Arthur
      Spectator

Hi babyfirefly, welcome aboard! Good to see you had fun in Cologne! It slipped my mind to go to Luxemburg, but when a little later they announced 2 gigs in Holland, I decided to go to both of them instead. If Luxemburg is within reach for you, Tilburg might be too? We are going to meet several friends there. Tickets are still available, if I’m right.

selittle
      Spectator

Tilburg is definitely within reach but unfortunately I have something else going on that day :?
      But we’ll see, maybe I’ll find a way to make it!!

marigold
      Spectator

love Mike’s wailing – and singing at the end! :lol:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o1OTC5-7UY#at=75[/youtube]

King of Gloom
      Spectator

I’m going to lose it when they play Immigrant Song :lol:

Arthur
      Spectator

013 Tilburg: Smashing Pumpkins afterparty. :)

(They call it the official Smashing Pumpkins afterparty, but I’m sure SP has nothing to do with it, and the band will most probably not show up or anything.)

selittle
      Spectator

I got a ticket for Tilburg, too :D Would be nice to say Hi!! How do I recognize you guys?

Arthur
      Spectator

I got a ticket for Tilburg, too :D Would be nice to say Hi!! How do I recognize you guys?[/quote:2t4cunhb]
      AWESOME! 8)

I’m going there with a few friends who all have my mobile number in case we can not find each other. I know Jeroen and Milan from this forum are going too, and maybe more we didn’t hear yet. I’m picking up Milan, as it looks now, so we travel together. PM me BabyFirefly, if you like to exchange numbers, OK? We could try to meet half an hour before the show starts. I’ve never been to 013 before, so I don’t know a proper meeting place as yet.

By the way, 013 is emailing this message around:

"Dear Sir/Madam

You’ve received this mail because you bought a ticket for The Smashing Pumpkins in 013.

Due to the yearly Fun Fair in Tilburg (the biggest in The Netherlands), our city centre shall be very crowded. We advise everyone to use the train or bus to get to Tilburg as much as possible. It’s just a 5 minute walk from Tilburg Central Station to 013 Popcentre. You can also print your route to 013 for free at the blue machine at the entrance of Tilburg CS.

If you still want to arrive by car, we recommend to take a look at this site (Dutch information only): http://www.detilburgsekermis.nl/bereikbaarheid/

If you have questions please contact 013 Boxoffice via boxoffice@013.nl or +3113-4609500

We would also like to invite you to our free afterparty: Sonic Ballroom! With the best punk-indie-rock-metal-garage-surf and everything that makes you want to scream “Hell yeah!!”. Sonic Ballroom will take place right after The Smashing Pumpkins in the same hall.

With kind regards,
      Gijs Garenfeld
      "

Arthur
      Spectator

All pumped up for Paradiso Amsterdam tonight!? :twisted:

All pumped up for Paradiso Amsterdam tonight!? :twisted:[/quote:2a2xhpyl]
      Hehehe. You just reminded me of this website:
      <a href="http://www.realultimatepower.net/:2a2xhpyl]Are you ready to get pumped? Click "Yes" if yes. Click "No" if you’re a little baby.[/url:2a2xhpyl”>

Sven
      Spectator

superpsyched!!! will be awesome in the stunning Paradiso venue :)

milan
      Spectator

I got a ticket for Tilburg, too :D Would be nice to say Hi!! How do I recognize you guys?[/quote:2f5n20x2]

<– If you see the guy from my profile pic, I’ll be close. I look similar but less freaky.

Sven
      Spectator

damn this sucked…

sound was kinda somewhat OK on the balcony…
      in front of the FOH it was kinda OK…
      in front of the stage it was HORRIBLE!!!…

setlist was kinda OK.

BC was off; no feeling into the songs whatsoever…

but: we did get: If There Was A God… :)

still: it kinda sucked…
      it was OK to be there and to see each other again….

Rocket rocked my world!!!

The rest: blah…

This was my 25th TSP live performance and by far the WORST….

Damn and that at the Paradiso…!!!

The band should’ve nailed it and it was just blah……….

Last time TSP live for me; BC can’t bring it anymore, it’s over and done for me.

That’s it. I’ll cherish the memories of what once was…….

…said sadly.

King of Gloom
      Spectator

Did you go to the same show, Sven? I agree that the sound wasn’t great (really REALLY muddy at times) , but the show was great in my opinion. I loved the setlist (If There Is A God, Porcelina, United States, 33!) and the band was clearly having fun. It might be that it was my second Pumpkins show and the first in a small venue, last time was HMH, but I really had a great time.

Just one thing that keeps me thinking: before Billy started playing If There Is A God (I believe), he talked with the audience about getting old. He said ‘this is the last time we’re playing Paradiso’ and I just couldn’t figure out why. I had the feeling he wanted to tell something important, but he ended up talking about pancakes without getting to the point. Does anyone know what’s going on?

Anyway, I got a cool tour shirt and Nicole gave me one of Billy’s picks. Nice :)

Sven
      Spectator

Agreed King of Gloom…

It just sucked…
      There was so much room for something more and there was nothing there…

Like with BC’s story…
      Didn’t go anywhere, just like the show…

The good bits of the gig:
      Starz (the new arrangement is ROCKING!)
      Rocket
      If There Is A God
      Stand Inside Your Love
      United States
      The Celestials

BC should leave out the hits and stick with his current comfort zone…
      He just cannot entertain a large crowd anymore; he does not believe in his old hits, don’t play those then…

For a non-TSP fan this was a very bad concert.

King of Gloom
      Spectator

I still do think Billy wanted to tell us something. Maybe we’ll hear more tonight..

marigold
      Spectator

Just one thing that keeps me thinking: before Billy started playing If There Is A God (I believe), he talked with the audience about getting old. He said ‘this is the last time we’re playing Paradiso’ and I just couldn’t figure out why. I had the feeling he wanted to tell something important, but he ended up talking about pancakes without getting to the point. Does anyone know what’s going on?
      [/quote:2dmbvjge]

Here’s the video of his banter.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY-E_hOe1Zg[/youtube]

Last time they play Paradiso? Last time they play in Europe? Last time they tour???
      Yes, I guess we’ll find out more soon.

Arthur
      Spectator

I’m not as disappointed as Sven, on the contrary, but compared to HMH 2011, this show was not outstanding. But for me, it was mostly a technical issue (and maybe the band is a little tired at this point of the tour). But at times I only saw BC move his lips, while hearing NOTHING. The guitars were unbalancedly mixed at times.

However, the band indeed had fun, they treated us on 25 solid songs, they rocked firmly for 2.5 hrs straight, Billy chatted way more than I expected, I noticed many laughs between Nicole, Jeff and Billy, and X.Y.U. gave me goosebumps. However, it could have been so much better if the person at the mixing desk knew what he was doing. He obviously had an off-day.

Sven
      Spectator

Totally agree with what Arthur just said…

I just wrote my opinion based on a view from a non-TSP fan… Then this show totally sucked…

For a TSP-fan there were many highlights as the balcony and other places might have notiiced from Remco and me.. Hell, we even managed to get to Arthur :)

Arthur
      Spectator

Haha yeah (we were first row, and a line of security behind us hardly let someone go through to the snakepit!), and you had a grin like no tomorrow while bouncing to Immigrant Song and Cherub Rock, so obviously you still had your fun moments during the show. :P

King of Gloom
      Spectator

Just watching some of the videos. Someone taped the whole show, nice quality! :) I now see that the sound on the balcony was a lot better. But oh well, you have to sacrifice something to be in the front row!

Arthur
      Spectator

We are obviously VERY present front row with 3 times Jeroen, Raymond, the undersigned… :)

it’s not unusual that you can’t hear everything when you’re on the front row. you’re too close to the stage. the most you hear is coming directly from the stage (amps and whatnot) and very little from the speakers. you’re in the blind spot of both the speakers on the left and the right. (in front of one stack of speakers on the left or on the right isn’t ideal either: it’s going to be too loud, because you’re too close, and you’re likely to be in the blind spot of the speakers on the other side. the best place is typically at the mixing desk.)

once i was on the front row at a pumpkins gig, in a fairly small venue, and all i could hear was billy’s guitar, directly from the amps on stage, and it hurt my ears. so loud. i had to go and stand a bit further away after a couple of songs. i’m fairly certain i suffered some hearing damage during that gig. my ears were hurting for a couple of days afterwards.

King of Gloom
      Spectator

Yeah, I’m thinking about bringing earplugs tonight, just in case. Last night was pretty loud.

King of Gloom
      Spectator

Yeah, I’m thinking about bringing earplugs tonight, just in case. Last night was pretty loud.

Spag
      Spectator

Yeah, I’m thinking about bringing earplugs tonight, just in case. Last night was pretty loud.[/quote:23qjc12q]

I use them all the time and they work perfectly… except last night. This morning my ears were hurting so badly I was considering skipping tonight’s show.

Spag
      Spectator

setlist was kinda OK.[/quote:1lvvjl9v]

I read somewhere you thought the Cologne setlist was ‘pretty awesome’. Yesterday’s was very similar (although, unfortunately, Blank Page was tossed).

Arthur
      Spectator

Just watching some of the videos. Someone taped the whole show, nice quality! :) I now see that the sound on the balcony was a lot better. But oh well, you have to sacrifice something to be in the front row![/quote:yfc4c8at]
      Funny enough, not in HMH. Sound was spot on there!

Arthur
      Spectator

Yeah, I’m thinking about bringing earplugs tonight, just in case. Last night was pretty loud.[/quote:jkomy9kf]

I use them all the time and they work perfectly… except last night. This morning my ears were hurting so badly I was considering skipping tonight’s show.[/quote:jkomy9kf]
      No issues here, just that my legs are still tired. Maybe we should not focus on front row again tonight. I know some of you are into grabbing the goodies though… BTW we are going to meet several new/old friends in Tilburg, like Stephanie, Milan and Albert. :)

Spag, will you bring the poster? I’m taking a tube with me, just in case!

Spag
      Spectator

I’ll be skipping the goodies tonight in favour of my hearing capabilities. And yes, i’ll take the poster (in a tube) with me.

King of Gloom
      Spectator

Yeah, I’m thinking about bringing earplugs tonight, just in case. Last night was pretty loud.[/quote:1fq94xns]

I couldn’t have said it any better.

Oh wow, a big meet-up tonight. I’m a tiny bit jealous. Have fun at the show, everyone!

marigold
      Spectator

Yes, ENJOY THE SHOW EVERYONE!!!

because it will be the last SP show you’ll see!

King of Gloom
      Spectator

Wow! That exceeded all my expectations! Sound was a lot better than yesterday. They played all the same songs, just a different order. That was nice for the surprise effect! :) What more can I say? If this really was the last show they ever played in the Netherlands, it would’ve been one hell of an ending!

And of course it was cool to see all you guys again! :)

milan
      Spectator

Not the worst show I’ve seen from the band, but I think the band was bored. I didn’t see much of a spark on any of the faces.

Nice to see a bunch of SP freaks too. I also suggested it to Arthur but I think it would be nice if we had another chance to meet each other in a more relaxed/quiet setting. My idea was to have an Adore-Reissue listening party. I don’t know when release is scheduled, but it would be a nice experience to listen to the reissue the first time together. We had a similar listening party at Sven’s place once and this was really nice!

So, lets keep this idea in mind and prepare to meet again somewhere soon :-)

Arthur
      Spectator

Awesome show indeed. Adore reissue listening party will happen, several people text me that this morning. :)

A big thanks to Spag for the poster!

@marigold: haha funny! Playing along with Billy’s jokes, aren’t you? :P

King of Gloom
      Spectator

Very positive review of the Paradiso show by OOR!

http://oor.nl/#reviews/concerts/2338/st … s_afscheid

marigold
      Spectator

If this really was the last show they ever played in the Netherlands, it would’ve been one hell of an ending!
      [/quote:25dwe51h]

Now that’s a show! 8)

marigold
      Spectator

@marigold: haha funny! Playing along with Billy’s jokes, aren’t you? :P[/quote:3t3ijsrp]

Not at all actually. If you haven’t noticed, Billy has been looking tired at the recent shows, doesn’t put as much energy into them (like milan says, the band looks bored), and was sick at one of the shows that was livestreaming! And now he says it will be the last time they play there?

Perhaps Billy should have whatever Mick Jagger is having? :P

selittle
      Spectator

I totally loved all three shows I’ve seen and to me Billy only looked bored during one or two songs he probably cannot stand to play any more! He should just skip those in the future!

Anyways, I hope everyone got home safely in this horrible weather.

Walking to my car, I happened to see Billy getting out of the 013 and walking towards the bus. He briefly came to the few fans that were standing in the pouring rain to say ‘Thanks’ and ‘Bless you’ to each of us and then disappeared into the bus. It was a matter of seconds but a great ending to a lovely night :D

Hope to see y’all again some day!

Spag
      Spectator

I totally loved all three shows I’ve seen and to me Billy only looked bored during one or two songs he probably cannot stand to play any more! He should just skip those in the future![/quote:2tfmenvb]

My thoughts exactly. My impression was that all members were more or less enjoying themselves most of the time.

Arthur
      Spectator

Arthur
      Spectator

And another positive (Dutch) review. :)

http://www.roarezine.nl/2013/07/29/the- … 3-tilburg/

milan
      Spectator

Corgan was serious in Paradiso:

(from bystarlight.org)

http://politiken.dk/ibyen/nyheder/musik … -i-graven/

Arthur
      Spectator

Corgan was also serious about giving us Teargarden in 44 songs on 11 EPs, with a box set to close the project. Corgan was also serious when he dismantled the band in 2000. Corgan was also serious when, etc. Since touring is an important part of either the promotion of new releases, and a huge part of the total revenues of a band/artist, it’s hard to believe that Smashing Pumpkins will stop touring completely.

However, I completely believe Corgan that he is, at least for the moment, completely fed up with touring oldschool style. And that he is looking for new concepts of ‘playing live for the fans’. Can’t blame him at all; he played numerous concerts for countless fans in his musical career. I had a good laugh when I read something like ‘I sold more records than all other bands on the whole festival together’. It’s true, he doesn’t have to prove anything anymore.

To cut a long story short: I’m super glad I saw Smashing Pumpkins live last weekend. I hope it will happen several times more. :)

Sven
      Spectator

I agree with Arthur there, BUT: he indeed does need touring for the promotion and don’t forget the extreme pricing for small shows is NOT the way to go for a band like TSP. It’s all about playing the right songs as he did in Tilburg and Amsterdam. He did fuck up tours totally in the past with his amazing ability not-to-make-a-good-setlist… Now it’s there for everyone and he’s not enjoying himself. Maybe it’s time to quit then, altogether.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

I agree with Arthur there, BUT: he indeed does need touring for the promotion and don’t forget the extreme pricing for small shows is NOT the way to go for a band like TSP. It’s all about playing the right songs as he did in Tilburg and Amsterdam. He did fuck up tours totally in the past with his amazing ability not-to-make-a-good-setlist… Now it’s there for everyone and he’s not enjoying himself. Maybe it’s time to quit then, altogether.[/quote:no26q1z1]

makes sense. everything must come down. i do hope the last record happens. i hope much more happens, but i won’t be holding my breath. :(

marigold
      Spectator

However, I completely believe Corgan that he is, at least for the moment, completely fed up with touring oldschool style. And that he is looking for new concepts of ‘playing live for the fans’. Can’t blame him at all; he played numerous concerts for countless fans in his musical career. I had a good laugh when I read something like ‘I sold more records than all other bands on the whole festival together’. It’s true, he doesn’t have to prove anything anymore.

To cut a long story short: I’m super glad I saw Smashing Pumpkins live last weekend. I hope it will happen several times more. :)[/quote:3vmil50p]

He does seem tired/fed up with what must be a gruelling tour schedule, and he said perhaps 5 shows a year, it may mean only a few shows in Europe next time. Maybe none in Asia/Oceania! I think they need to completely take a break for a while and re-energize, before they do any more tours.

I’m not too fussed about when the next album is…we’ve got all the extra material in the reissues and a huge back catalog to listen to in the meantime!

Arthur
      Spectator

Exactly, marigold.

jawn till dusk
      Spectator

I think Billy has tried to do too much in the last couple of years(teargarden,reissues,oceania/orb tour/normal tour/book/dvd etc.)and it may be finally taking its toll.

Viewing 145 reply threads

The forum ‘Touring & Concert’ is closed to new topics and replies.