Viewing 36 reply threads
  • Author

spadmin
      Spectator

Just curious about your eBay experiences. I, for example, know 100% for sure that my Smashing Pumpkins collection would be half the size of what it is now, if eBay didn’t exist. I love the place, but hate the last second bidders, and their sniping programs… Urgh! Nevertheless, I’m guilty too, sometimes I’m a last minute bidder also when I really want something. But I do it manually, if I don’t have to stay up late… :P Don’t have that many bad experiences too, only recently had the second one in 7 years of eBay-ing. About a year ago I get lots of spoof emails, but all of them I send to their Spoof Dept. for further inquiry and lately I don’t get them anymore.

Never had bad experiences with fraud on eBay, nor fraud with my creditcard via PayPal… Am I just lucky, or just average? Funny enough, even in The Netherlands there are still many people that don’t dare to go buying on da net, let alone go to eBay. Anyway, just curious what you guys do and experience with eBay.

i don’t always do it, but last minute bidding is the smartest thing to do. it keeps the price as low as possible.

i’ve had some problems with ebay. once a cd arrived broken, because it was sent in a regular paper envelope, and the seller refused to give me a refund. once i bought two rare vinyls and they never arrived. and once i bought a radio cd that looked fake and i sent it back to the seller after we agreed on a refund, but i never got that refund. so i actually wasted even more money on it by sending it back.

blueczarina
      Spectator

i buy from ebay all the time- a bit of an addict maybe :P , but there is too much good SP stuff. :) i also like it because i can get stuff they don’t sell where i live, which is nice because Montana doesn’t have all the stores. and you can find some rare hard to find items there too.
      as far as bad or weird experiences- it was just my run in with Veronica and \"Kurt\" and that was it. otherwise everything has been fine.

and sorry, as Ice Cream found out today :wink: – i’m a last second bidder. in fact i pretty much only snipe items and, usually as a rule, i only bid in the last minute of an auction, literally. i just find that its easier to get an item that way and it usually prevents me from getting into long dragged out bidding wars on stuff i want, thus saving me some money or i think it does anyway. i just don’t like to bid early and have a bunch of others decide its a great item too and start going for it. i would rather everyone else fight it out with the bidding. then i can just slip in at the end and steal the item. nefarious, but effective. :twisted:

manillascissor
      Keymaster

I’ve been on eBay since 1996 I think. I used to be under a different identity, and I let me college roommate use it to bid on stuff he wanted, but he never paid for items, so my identity was deleted. so i started over.

Anyway, eBay is the best. I’ve purchased a $17,000 SUV on there before. No problems. I’ve easily had over 500 buys, and maybe got screwed out of $10 once.

It’s very secure. I love it. However, most of the people I buy from are established with either 100% feedback or power sellers. Never had problems.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

As for sniping, I used to not like it, when I got sniped. Now I’m the one sniping and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

I actually think it prevents a seller from inflating the price with an alternate identity. I’ve seen that before. If the seller believes there is no interest in the item, he/she can’t inflate because no one had bid.

Or if I do bid early, I don’t really want the item badly, and the bid is usually very low.

i will usually bid with in the last few minutes, but if i will only pay a certin price, i will bid on it the day of, and if it goes over i won’t bid anymore.

i have a problem, if i watch it end i will bid to much.

Arthur
      Spectator

i don’t always do it, but last minute bidding is the smartest thing to do. it keeps the price as low as possible.[/quote:5xmpreop]
      That’s only when the bidders without the sniping programs didn’t use the max. bid option. When I really want something, I bid higher to protect it. Sometimes the snipers got scared of the price and run away without paying. In those few cases I got a second chance offer from the seller. Also, once, I managed to outbid a sniper, by having 2 screens open, refreshing 1 of them and when the screen gets stuck, I know a sniper is bidding. Then I’ll bid again in the very last seconds to outbid the sucker. Happened once, and it was fun! :lol:

All in all, I think using the max. bid option works better for me, whenever I bid. When a sniper wants it, he has to outbid me anyway, and when he wins from me, he was ready to pay a higher price then me. So I’m not that frustrated afterwards most of the times. It’s only the sneaky behaviour that is irritating, when for days and days you think to have won an auction and in the last minute it goes to someone else anyway. Well, their luck. :wink:

blueczarina
      Spectator

i still only snipe stuff. :twisted:

It’s only the sneaky behaviour that is irritating, when for days and days you think to have won an auction and in the last minute it goes to someone else anyway.[/quote:1ueukg2x]
      that’s where you’re wrong: you should never think you won the item, just because you are the highest bidder for a while.

half of the times i also place my bid hours or days in advance.

Funny enough, even in The Netherlands there are still many people that don’t dare to go buying on da net, let alone go to eBay.[/quote:31jzibty]

People who have no idea just how safe the internet can be, and believe all those ZOMFG!!!11!! horror stories in tabloid newspapers annoy me. Maybe because they’re the sort of people who don’t understand the importance of net neutrality. Ho-hum.

Once, I got out-bidded (or rather, my dad did on my behalf) on an extremely rare MCR item by a sniper. Of course, my dad was sniping too. But it kinda sucked a lot, because I doubt I’ll ever see that item again :(

i don’t snipe at all, if i get an item i get it, if not i will cry and then get over it. if i was ment to have it i will.

and yes i think the internet is safe to buy stuff on, but i kinda like that not everyone knows about how safe it is, or how to do it. leaves the stuff easier to get.

blueczarina
      Spectator

yeah, some people think that if you can’t trust internet buying. i even have a couple relatives not big on computers who think you can’t buy new stuff. they think its all used or something.

I’m pretty sure there’s going to be a ‘series of tubes’ joke here somewhere, seeing as this topic is quickly derailing into non computer/internet savvy people.

blueczarina
      Spectator

I’m pretty sure there’s going to be a ‘series of tubes’ joke here somewhere, seeing as this topic is quickly derailing into non computer/internet savvy people.[/quote:1tdzxpdl]

:lol:

alright, back on topic. i like to snipe stuff on ebay at work and school too. :twisted:

Marcella
      Spectator

Superlord, what was that MCR item? I might have snipped it :wink:. Nah, I’m just curious.

Almost no one here shops online either. They’re all \"You’re going to loose money! Why don’t just buy things manually? You’ll get robbed! Blah blah.\"

Superlord, what was that MCR item? I might have snipped it :wink:. Nah, I’m just curious[/quote:362qtxmd]

Like Phantoms, Forever.

Marcella
      Spectator

^ No. Fucking. Way. I didn’t even know you could actually find it online. I’ve been wanting that item since I knew it existed! I feel your pain x_x.

^ No. Fucking. Way. I didn’t even know you could actually find it online. I’ve been wanting that item since I knew it existed! I feel your pain x_x.[/quote:1vlw3641]

I found it completely by accident. It went like this: (dozing in bed) "Hmm… wouldn’t it be cool if LPF was on eBay? Haha, why don’t I check. As if :lol:" (Checks eBay) "O.M.F.G. DAAAAAAD! I NEED YOUR CREDIT CARD!"

Well, except for the dramatization. Such as screaming for my dad.

It was actually about a year ago. I believe the seller was selling it to help pay some school fees or something. He included a poster he stole from the show where they gave it away, and some pics he took.

On a side note, which rare MCR items do you own? I’ve got all three of the early vinyl singles :D

Marcella
      Spectator

I don’t own anything particularly rare, at all XD. Just the discography, and Live and Rare, which isn’t really as rare, and TBP book, which isn’t rare either. So yeah I hate you :wink:.

How come you found them, though? I’ve searched the web and nothing valuable comes out. Maybe I’m just unlucky.

I don’t have Live and Rare (I plan to get it) nor do I have TBP special edition… nor do I have TBPID (I’m very poor). Which kinda sucks.

The rare stuff… there was just this period when all these rare vinyls came onto ebay, and my dad managed to snag some of them, which was awesome. Hah, when he showed me he had won them, I didn’t express much enthusiasm. Which sounds weird, but he showed me just before I left the house to see my then girlfriend, who I thought may be breaking up with me then. She didn’t though. She did three weeks later :(

Marcella
      Spectator

Aww oh well, she didn’t know what she had.

Oh and you know what intrigues me? Dreams of Stabbing and/or Being Stabbed. I have all the demos except Wish You Away and Stabbing. It seems no one owns those. Was that ever even released in a physical form? I bet the band has them. I could contact old Matt’s myspace and then…

Dreams of stabbing only had Cubiles, Skylines and Bring More Knives (aka Our Lady Of Sorrows), confirmed. Apparently, some of the demo tapes they gave away had Vampires, although this hasn’t really been confirmed. Wish You Away was merely the original title to Drowning Lessons, nothing more.

Arthur
      Spectator

Like Phantoms, Forever.[/quote:3bk1phlh]
      This one, I presume.

Like Phantoms, Forever.[/quote:1kfyi8ky]
      This one, I presume.

[/quote:1kfyi8ky]

Exactly.

Only 100 printed, and even then, not all of those got to the fans – the band kept copies, and gave close friends and relatives copies. I estimate (I don’t know why) around 80 are in the fans hands.

Marcella
      Spectator

So yeah, if I had that, it’d be my holy grail.

Also, what ‘tricks’ are these you mentioned, Arthur?

Arthur
      Spectator

Also, what ‘tricks’ are these you mentioned, Arthur?[/quote:2bxs6n25]
      Using several search engines, not only Google, and using different word combinations. Not really special, but you always get the obvious places when you type "my chemical romance like phantoms forever". Trying "chemical romance ep 2002 sale" for example might bring up unexpected results. But it didn’t so far.

Cool. I’ll keep it in mind.

oh, and on ebay if you purposly misspell stuff that brings up stuff too. i have gotten some good deals that way, no one knows it is for sale, cause they spell it right, and the seller misspelled it.

amnesia
      Spectator

I love to snipe. 10 sec before the ending i normally put in a hard kill on the other bidders if there is a item i so really want. I think i only lose 1 out of 10 bids. I love being evil :twisted: :twisted:

blueczarina
      Spectator

I love being evil :twisted: :twisted:[/quote:38ii65tj]

me too :twisted: hehe

amnesia
      Spectator

I love being evil :twisted: :twisted:[/quote:38ieypab]

me too :twisted: hehe[/quote:38ieypab]

We are the evil sisters you and me :twisted:

blueczarina
      Spectator

I love being evil :twisted: :twisted:[/quote:2199md99]

me too :twisted: hehe[/quote:2199md99]

We are the evil sisters you and me :twisted:[/quote:2199md99]

yes, its the only way to ebay shop :twisted:

amnesia
      Spectator

I love being evil :twisted: :twisted:[/quote:1btxcwxh]

me too :twisted: hehe[/quote:1btxcwxh]

We are the evil sisters you and me :twisted:[/quote:1btxcwxh]

yes, its the only way to ebay shop :twisted:[/quote:1btxcwxh]

Amen to that my evil sister :lol: :twisted:

blueczarina
      Spectator

hehe :lol:

blueczarina
      Spectator

Holy Mother Russia, we’ve been spammed

spadmin
      Spectator

bye bye spammer :twisted:

Viewing 36 reply threads

The forum ‘Collecting Items’ is closed to new topics and replies.