Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author

blueczarina
      Keymaster

Melissa, the Zwan members (included just because), Lisa, etc?

I heard Melissa was actally good, but I’ve still yet to own anything or hear anything she’s ever written. I feel like just because these people were in the Smashing Pumpkins, I don’t really care what they do after they leave. I have no interest in Lisa’s new Jazz album, who cares?

Even former official members, James and Jimmy. I honestly don’t give two hoots about their solo albums. I semi enjoyed Iha’s Be Strong Now, as it was a temporary departure from the Pumpkins. Lately, members are leaving and never coming back, to do something different than be a Pumpkin. I don’t know if I’m making any sense here, but bottom line I guess is that it’s always been about Billy Corgan for me. He’s always been the main driving force behind the band.

The only thing that scares me a little is Billy without Jimmy. He’s done it before, to great critical success with Adore, but I wonder if that was a fluke. And Billy has done a solo album which I find tremendously enjoyable, but I don’t want Smashing Pumpkins to sound like that.

Nor do I want more American Gothic acoustic happy shit. I guess I’m hard to please, it would seem I can’t win. I just hope Billy is able to succeed on his own, a part of me feels sorry for him, like all his friends turned their backs on him and he doesn’t know why. I’ve had that happen to me before and the feeling is horrible.

But back on track, if you’re not in the Pumpkins or coming back, go to hell. :lol:

Arthur
      Spectator

Nice rant, & I’m with you. Your call for Billy’s Pumpkins rock will hopefully be answered, for my benefit too.

On a sidenote, because I always wanted to say this to you: check out the SP live a bit more.
      It will be like you discover them again. :)

manillascissor
      Keymaster

Nice rant, & I’m with you. Your call for Billy’s Pumpkins rock will hopefully be answered, for my benefit too.

On a sidenote, because I always wanted to say this to you: check out the SP live a bit more.
      It will be like you discover them again. :)[/quote:9cbkk5so]

Maybe, just maybe after I get my hands on all the official releases. From what I’ve heard, I’ve enjoyed, so you may be right. :)

Anonymous
      Spectator

I’ll be following James Iha’s and Auf der Maur’s career mostly, along with Billy Corgan (surprisingly!) – unlikely anybody else for the long haul.

IMHO:

Iha’s always very underrated and an excellent Guitarist: Singer, no, but let him loose and there’s no stopping the guy. On reading the LICD press kit, I was impressed with his angle on things. Freakily, I play LICD equally to Pumpkin’s stuff.

Auf der Maur was great when playing in London with the Pumpkins. Although I feel her lyrics could have been better in the past, OOOM’s shaped up really well in comparison and there’s something irresistable about following along.

Hmm, that’s about it really, not so much as five years back… Where then I’d have wanted to buy anything and everything that was even remotely SP-related.

As Arthur suggests, m, definitely hear more live stuff if possible too. It goes without saying that thirty Rockets side-by-side can be very intriguing. :D :)

Arthur
      Spectator

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that Melissa is the only exception: she IS good, her solo album absolutely rocks. But the other members’ solo work, I never bothered buying it, after I gave it a quick listen here or there. It’s just not my cup of tea, and it is by far not as brilliant as Billy Corgan’s work (even his solo album is very listenable). But it’s the Smashing Pumpkins flag, always including the Billy color, that works best for me, so far. So I stick to it for the time being. :)

Collectspumpkins
      Spectator

I heard Melissa was actally good, but I’ve still yet to own anything or hear anything she’s ever written. I feel like just because these people were in the Smashing Pumpkins, I don’t really care what they do after they leave. I have no interest in Lisa’s new Jazz album, who cares?

Even former official members, James and Jimmy. I honestly don’t give two hoots about their solo albums. I semi enjoyed Iha’s Be Strong Now, as it was a temporary departure from the Pumpkins. Lately, members are leaving and never coming back, to do something different than be a Pumpkin. I don’t know if I’m making any sense here, but bottom line I guess is that it’s always been about Billy Corgan for me. He’s always been the main driving force behind the band.

The only thing that scares me a little is Billy without Jimmy. He’s done it before, to great critical success with Adore, but I wonder if that was a fluke. And Billy has done a solo album which I find tremendously enjoyable, but I don’t want Smashing Pumpkins to sound like that.

Nor do I want more American Gothic acoustic happy shit. I guess I’m hard to please, it would seem I can’t win. I just hope Billy is able to succeed on his own, a part of me feels sorry for him, like all his friends turned their backs on him and he doesn’t know why. I’ve had that happen to me before and the feeling is horrible.

But back on track, if you’re not in the Pumpkins or coming back, go to hell. :lol:[/quote:1w9m7r05]

I pretty much am in agreement with this.

I feel, as you, that SP = BC. Everyone else are contributors and/or along for the ride.

I would take exception to your comment about Adore possibly being a fluke. A tthe time, after his mother died, he made a very emotional, personal album. Which is a very deep album that requires dozens of listening attempts to fully appreciate, in my opinion. Could he do it again? Absolutely. But if you look at some of the recent stuff FOL, GLOW, etc., I don’t think he will go down an "Adore" road for a new album.

Some of the American Gothic stuff is good and remember, anything acoustic can always be turned electric live, so there is hope there.

As for me, I’ve only followed Zwan (who I liked a lot and hope that some more rarities come out down the road) and Billy’s solo album, TFE, which is good. When you state that you don’t want the Pumpkins to sound like that, you could argue that Eye and Saturnine were very close to the TFE framework.

But at the end of the day, SP is a rock band and Billy seems to want to continue to rock. As long as he does, then I’m happy and content.

Finally, on a side note, I personally thought that Iha’s LICD was one of the worst albums ever made….EVER. I thought I was listening to something from TIME LIFE’s AM GOLD series. Not only can he not sing (hello Willam "She Bangs" Hung), but the fact he chose to essentially make a 70’s love/peace album for his 1st solo record was baffling to me. That was the quickest tirp I’ve made to sell a cd back after buying it ever. If someone gave me that CD or vinyl today, you’d see me recycle it for toliet paper. ;)

Shawn

manillascissor
      Keymaster

But back on track, if you’re not in the Pumpkins or coming back, go to hell. :lol:[/quote:v3fbh4ag]

I pretty much am in agreement with this.

I feel, as you, that SP = BC. Everyone else are contributors and/or along for the ride.

I would take exception to your comment about Adore possibly being a fluke. A tthe time, after his mother died, he made a very emotional, personal album. Which is a very deep album that requires dozens of listening attempts to fully appreciate, in my opinion. Could he do it again? Absolutely. But if you look at some of the recent stuff FOL, GLOW, etc., I don’t think he will go down an "Adore" road for a new album.

Some of the American Gothic stuff is good and remember, anything acoustic can always be turned electric live, so there is hope there.

As for me, I’ve only followed Zwan (who I liked a lot and hope that some more rarities come out down the road) and Billy’s solo album, TFE, which is good. When you state that you don’t want the Pumpkins to sound like that, you could argue that Eye and Saturnine were very close to the TFE framework.

But at the end of the day, SP is a rock band and Billy seems to want to continue to rock. As long as he does, then I’m happy and content.

Finally, on a side note, I personally thought that Iha’s LICD was one of the worst albums ever made….EVER. I thought I was listening to something from TIME LIFE’s AM GOLD series. Not only can he not sing (hello Willam "She Bangs" Hung), but the fact he chose to essentially make a 70’s love/peace album for his 1st solo record was baffling to me. That was the quickest tirp I’ve made to sell a cd back after buying it ever. If someone gave me that CD or vinyl today, you’d see me recycle it for toliet paper. ;)

Shawn[/quote:v3fbh4ag]

Nice toilet paper remark. LOL.

My fingers are crossed for Billy Corgan. I just hope he knows he still has a following and love from his fans, even though it may seem his band is crashing down upon him again. It’s just the Smashing Pumpkins way I guess, and it’s always been up to BC to make the best of it. He’s done a good job so far, so I wish him the best and hope to rock out soon enough.

UNLESS, he does more stripped down acoustic like for the tonight, tonight b-sides or pre-gish material. for some reason, I really like that kind of sound/groove.

Anonymous
      Spectator

I’d also like to see some more acoustic stuff, because I’ve spent too much time rawkin’ out with the meatier electric.

Going on the history, I doubt ‘ol Corgan would ever release something all-out crap, it’ll always seem hopeful to me.

I didn’t care much for TFE to start out, now I’m starting to really enjoy it, along with Zeitgeist.

* Buys up James Iha CDs for Christmas presents this year *

:wink:

Sven
      Spectator

for me-

> the first MADM album rocked and still rocks to me, live it was very cool too!!!

> the second MADM project will blow your mind, saw it live and it wasn’t there YET… but the whole concept is very daring, out there, complex and arty and totally cool…!

> the Iha album was sunshiney very much so ok I thought.

> the JCC record was ok and cool, live it was awesome to witness!

> BC solo and TFE; the record was so-so to me, live it was pretty decent to good…

> Zwan was awesome before the record came about; then it went downhill, the show I saw in Hamburg was pretty decent, from then on it was decline all the way…

then again-

to me > TSP = BC with inspired partners…
      therefore pretty much > TSP = BC + JC
      however > you never know what he’s recording know so that might just blow my mind/our minds…

Thom
      Spectator

i quite liked the jcc album, the show i saw was great, i’ll be picking up the new album too i guess.

blueczarina
      Spectator

yes, listen to live stuff. i also think of it as a sort of rediscovery as so many of those songs take on an awesome form live that’s different from the album versions.

and on the subject of solo albums and what not i will agree some are crap, but some are definitely worth listening to.

i personally didn’t like Zwan. it felt a bit Jesus camp and i don’t do Jesus camp.

LICD is one of the signs of the apocalypse. when i put it on the first few seconds made my ears bleed. i took it out and have never listened to it since.

i don’t mind TFE. it has some great songs and some not so great songs. i do hope the new stuff isn’t that way though. i hope its more Adore or more rock. and i don’t think Adore was so much a fluke. he is Billy Corgan.

now on to JCC- i love that album! it might not be rock exactly, more jazz i suppose. give it a try though, because it is actually pretty damn good. i like to listen to it a lot. its great for something to pop in if you want something quieter (not rock/ metal) and you want something with a nice vibe to just listen to on some lazy day or if your working or reading or whatever. its a good album.

and Melissa’s solo work also kicks a lot of ass. in fact her stuff is probably better than the rest in some respect. she is pretty talented and definitely worth a listen. her new 3 song single/ EP? is great and so was her album. good stuff.

as for the tour bitches- i really don’t care to hear their solo work. i just don’t.

Arthur
      Spectator

i personally didn’t like Zwan. it felt a bit Jesus camp and i don’t do Jesus camp.[/quote:b5cgvqqx]
      Song 2 isn’t exactly Jesus camp… :wink:

i’m not going to like something because it’s related to the smashing pumpkins somehow.

sometimes i will check things out because i heard about it via the smashing pumpkins (because there’s a link), but i check out a lot of things quite randomly, so any reason is a good reason. and the link to sp isn’t always the only reason i check things out. sometimes someone recommended me something. anyway, that’s just checking stuff out. if i like it, i like it. if not, bad luck.

things linked to sp i’ve enjoyed: auf der maur, superwolf (bonnie prince billy with matt sweeney), jimmy chamberlin complex, billy corgan, james iha and zwan too.
      also, slint (with david pajo), but that’s a lot older than zwan.

on the other hand, some things don’t interest me at all, no matter who’s involved. i never read any of billy corgan’s poems, or bought that blinking with fists book. and i’m not sure if i’ll ever check out tinted windows. maybe one day.

Danni
      Spectator

I don’t like the whole thing about Melissa’s sound and music as she is very inspired by ancient viking-mythology and stuff. I don’t get that. As for that Lisa, her music is the shit. She is really talented. I think Jimmy is the Pumpkin that did the best solo effort. And be it James too. Billy? Nyahh, good at times.

I would love to hear something from D’arcy, but my guess is that ain’t gonna happen. She must be too busy with her farm in Watervliet, MI? Also Matt Sweeney must have been one of the coolest musicians billy ever played with, alongside James.

i will have to go with manilla on this one, i don’t listen to any of the other people who have driffed in and out of the band. i like what billy does with the pumpkins, and on his own. the others, thier music doesn’t really do it for me. when i don’t listen to the pumpkins i want something diffrent, and mostly it is stuff from 20 years ago or older. new stuff lately i don’t really get into.

yeah i agree with you too manilla. billy is the main one that i have always liked. he is the muse behind the pumpkins. i haven’t really listened to the other members solo projects much. i got jimmy’s and i think it is ok. but my favorite song on there is loki cat, the one with billy heheh. (sorry jimmy) i love zwan and tfe. it is just something about billy, he manages to put his personal style in all his music wether it is heavy rock or more electronic, pop-ish or whatever. i feel a connection to billy’s music that i haven’t felt with anyone else.

Anonymous
      Spectator

agreed with Manilla. I’m not a fan of anyone elses music. But I will give the JCC new album a listen whenever that comes available.
      Billy has this amazing talent to capture you in with his voice, lyrics and music and keeps you hooked. No other music has done that for me ever! Can’t hardly wait to hear what is coming next. It’s difficult waiting to hear what the sound will be like now after what all has happened. Are we looking at a new sound from SP??

some pumpkins
      Spectator

i like jazz, so i’ll give lisa’s forthcoming album a listen. the JCC album was kick ass. i’ll listen to anything jimmy puts out. he’s an awesome drummer. i love complicated shit. im glad matt walker isn’t in the studio with them right now. he’s a sick drummer, but i dont like his style. never heard what MADM sounds like. probably never will. i liked TFE. i thought it was interesting and expiramental. i thought zwan was kinda boring. i was bummed to hear that the bassist from that ”phsycodelic\" band was jammimg with billy. don’t get me wrong, that sounds very promising, but i was hopeful jeff and ginger would be in on the writing process, not just the live performances. i knew that was a long shot. looks like the new songs, or at least some of them, are gonna be mellowed out. there wasn’t an electric giutar in sight in that new studio shot. my mission is to find that house/studio they’re in in LA so i can hear what the music sounds like. i have a feeling jeff will be back for the next tour. he’s too good and he knows a large portion of the pumpkins catalog. so why not bring him back for the next tour? who know’s about ginger’s return. congrats to her. i don’t know what my point was when i started this. im done.

i think it’s kinda neat that linda strawberry is working with billy. i like her music too. and i think she has a pretty voice. it might be neat if they both sing in a song together.

blueczarina
      Spectator

i personally didn’t like Zwan. it felt a bit Jesus camp and i don’t do Jesus camp.[/quote:qo8i8j43]
      Song 2 isn’t exactly Jesus camp… :wink: [/quote:qo8i8j43]

true :wink: but inb the Billy-verse its hard to say. :P i still think most of it is Jesus camp.

Viewing 19 reply threads

The forum ‘General’ is closed to new topics and replies.