Viewing 24 reply threads
  • Author

Arthur
      Keymaster

for a credit card. Visa Go. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

blueczarina
      Spectator

because it makes today’s shopping day the greatest day you have ever known- until you get the bill :twisted:

manillascissor
      Keymaster

Visa rearranged is Siva. They should have used that song instead.

blueczarina
      Spectator

they should ^^ :P

manillascissor
      Keymaster

because it makes today’s shopping day the greatest day you have ever known- until you get the bill :twisted:[/quote:celzix40]

which is why it’s about suicide. it’s perfect!

blueczarina
      Spectator

it is perfect! :lol: i wasn’t even thinking about that :P

Sven
      Spectator

i guess there little to no point in uploading this commercial to youtube or anything—

still-

i clearly have in the front of my mind this-
      \"Last year, I was offered heavy, heavy money to license [\"Today\"]. I actually turned down two huge, huge, seven-figure-plus deals last year for two songs…. At this point in my life, I don’t feel comfortable. Those songs are the reason I’m alive. If your music is not sacred to the point where it’s a really, really, really heavy decision about whether or not you would allow somebody else to exploit it, then what’s not for sale?\" — Bill Corgan, 2004

http://www.newsweek.com/id/105040

i just cannot believe he would do it now-
      just can’t-
      maybe this has to do with some legal shit with Virgin or something-
      but damn!
      this doesn’t smell right to me….

even-
      just plain WRONG!

blueczarina
      Spectator

hmm, yeah maybe its like the Pepsi Smash/ Amazon thing and Virgin just did it for cash.

Sven
      Spectator

http://usa.visa.com/personal/visa_bring … ndex.html#

here you can see the ad…

i kinda do not feel too happy about this—

(sssshhhtttttt—– we over at SPMM are looking into this… as to the how and why and all; we will see, but SPFreakies galore, pleazzzzzzzzz, don’t blab about it- there might be an open press release by VISA or something; or it could be \"special\" in a way and kept somewhat under wraps- as for now, we’re not even sure the band approved this use of ‘Today’ so errr… let’s see what happens… SPMM is on top of it… that’s for sure… hope one of us (but not me) will be able to shed some cool light on this issue soon… working on it as we speak…)

blueczarina
      Spectator

i hadn’t seen the commercial yet, so thanks for the link.

and my theory is the \"time to find a new favorite song\" bit is a message to the all the casual fans out there to stop requesting Today :lol: :P

jawn till dusk
      Spectator

Anyone have the Pepsi ad?

Anonymous
      Spectator

because it makes today’s shopping day the greatest day you have ever known- until you get the bill :twisted:[/quote:8d1un90q]

which is why it’s about suicide. it’s perfect![/quote:8d1un90q]
      :lol:

Arthur
      Spectator

Anyone have the Pepsi ad?[/quote:13gny9td]

jawn till dusk
      Spectator

Ohhh!

I thought it was a commercial. :?

Thanks Arthur. :wink:

some pumpkins
      Spectator

i think i read or saw billy somewhere say that the reactiion/connection with/from the audience isn’t what it used to be. the audience member reaction today is more like \"oh yay, i love this one\" instead of how it used to be \"oh shit! this is the best fucking song i’ve ever heard! and they’re playing it live for me!\" of course i’m paraphrasing cuz i cant remember exactly how billy said it. but my thoughts are that nearly 16 years after the songs debut, it doesn’t resonate with him/the fans as much anymore. i know he said he turned down the ad in 2004, but playing it between 2007 and now, maybe changed his mind after seeing how people react to it.

blueczarina
      Spectator

that could be. plus Today is kind of just the mark of some casual fans who just wants relive Viuephoria anymore.

maybe those bastards killed the song for him. :?

Danni
      Spectator

because it makes today’s shopping day the greatest day you have ever known- until you get the bill :twisted:[/quote:1u2x221f]

Ha, ha! That’s true for sure czarina! :wink:

And the four figures looks funny all rolling with their eyes at the same. :roll:

toad32r
      Spectator

IT REALLY suprised me to see the ad. Over the last year, i have heard Come On (Lets Go), played as background music to college football games as they were going to commercial, , there was the \"sync\" commercial for cars using SP, and now this commercial… Im sorry all, but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I have no clue to the ways the songs were allowed to be used, or who gave the OK, but i hope/know it wasn’t Billy. SP 4-ever

toad32r
      Spectator

Taking a moment to think out what the use of SP songs in commercials/ shows, whatever. Listening to Billy in front of Congress, made me think… if there are so many different opportunities for industry to exploit songwriters creations, without compensation, the money to move forward and create more of what we love, has to come from somewhere…right??

Arthur
      Spectator

right??[/quote:3op1xrg3]
      Right. Maybe not when your name is Rage Against The Machine, but when it is Smashing Pumpkins… I have no bad feeling at all when Billy sells a song here and there to a company that wants to use it in a commercial. So what? Is the music suddenly worse, have the drumrolls changed or the guitarnotes flipped? Guess not. I have my stories with the music, and nothing can change that.

OK, some choices Billy makes when selling music, I have to frown, as it wouldn’t be my choice, but hey, I’m not Billy… :wink:

blueczarina
      Spectator

my thought is that i think maybe he’s past that song some. plus hasn’t Today kind of become the mark of the old casual fans who scream for it at gigs because they don’t care about the SP here and now. they just want to relive Vieuphoria. maybe although its special its just been tainted and he wants to let go- move on.

i don’t know. i love the SP either way. :wink: it feels slightly wrong, but its up to him and he loses no respect from me really. he’s still Billy Corgan of Smashing Pumpkins- the best band ever. 8)

and on another note i think Visa’s commercial sucks anyway just from a visual standpoint. it fails to live up to the kickass-ness of the song. :?

so i was disappointed anyhow. :?

Anonymous
      Spectator

would it have been different to have the ice cream truck in the commercial and James stepping out of the truck to get ice cream in New York and paying with his Visa :lol:

Pipoka
      Spectator

would it have been different to have the ice cream truck in the commercial and James stepping out of the truck to get ice cream in New York and paying with his Visa :lol:[/quote:3no3gqqr]

:lol:

blueczarina
      Spectator

that would have been awesome :lol: and Billy could step into Neiman Marcus and buy a dress with his Visa :lol:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aajvG_qUJQg[/youtube]

Arthur
      Spectator

would it have been different to have the ice cream truck in the commercial and James stepping out of the truck to get ice cream in New York and paying with his Visa :lol:[/quote:25qxl40b]
      LOL! :lol:

Viewing 24 reply threads

The forum ‘General’ is closed to new topics and replies.