Viewing 23 reply threads
  • Author

confuciousconfusing
      Spectator

Split from Announcement

Posted by Reggaeluv2000:

well let’s just start here.
      Does Billy’s lyrics sound like messages for us? I think so. well maybe a doorway to something bigger maybe?

Anonymous
      Spectator

so what is everyone’s take on 33’s opening lyric?
      ‘speak to me in a language I can hear’

sad part is this has all been discussed over 15 years, but not with me :)

yeah, i haven’t discussed it either, but i didn’t know if we were alowed to post on this one, or if we had to make another thread about it.

Marcella
      Spectator

Billy’s lyrics have always proved hard for me to…how can I say it? Truly understand, though I do.

‘Speak to me in a language I can hear’, it could mean he doesn’t wants to hear anything the person is saying in my view.

or it could mean that they are speaking around what he wants to hear. like when you want someone to tell you something, but they won’t they just talk around it.

Im a Cult Hero
      Spectator

Oh the opening verse of 33 is one of my faves :)

‘speak to me in a language I can hear’

I’ve always felt it meant something along the lines of Billy just wanting to understand something, maybe something someone was saying, or their actions, or perhaps their motives?

Anonymous
      Spectator

or mabe he is referring to the way someone was once upon a time and then after so long they change and he doesn’t like what is presented now,so that is his way of saying you have changed and I don’t like it…

I don’t know

Marcella
      Spectator

It could mean a bunch of things! I’ll ask him when I meet him. Yeah right :roll:.

Anonymous
      Spectator

Ok so, when I was at the show and heard G.L.O.W. f being played for the 1st time the lyrics at 1st sounded.
      I’m so alone I can’t get it up…hahahahaha
      and I was like no way he is not singing that
      so I had to listen to it quite a few times at home, but that part will always make me think that…lol

Anonymous
      Spectator

and amlistening to it again and it souds like
      I’m so alone I can’t get off with you…wtf?
      Need lyrics to be posted…lol

Marcella
      Spectator

\"I can’t get up\", ahaha.

I found these at pumpkins.net:

I’m so alone, I’m so alone, I’m thinking
      I’m so alone, I can’t get old
      I’m so alone, I’m so alone, I can’t get off of you

You only love yourself
      You only love yourself and no-one else
      (There)/(buried)in yourself
      (Come in, the time) (is)/(for this)
      (One is true)/(one last trip) (to who)

Come on, come on, come on,
      Can you feel it?
      Can you feel it glow?
      (So/Slow) (in you) is that (loving you)/(nothing new)/(no-one …)

I’m so alone, I’m so alone, I’m sinking
      I’m so alone, I can’t get love (you)

You only love yourself
      You only love yourself and no-one else
      (There)/(buried)in yourself
      (Come in,) you drive me crazy,
      (One is true)/(one last trip) (to who)

Can you feel it?
      Can you feel it glow?

(So/Slow) (in you) is that (loving you)/(nothing new)/(no-one …)

It’s (so)/(not) sick/strange
      You’re sick (of me)

It’s (so)/(not) sick/strange
      (I’m)/(It’s) (not) so strange
      To (lose)

Can you feel it?

(repeat)

Can you feel it glow?

blueczarina
      Spectator

oh, are those Geek NZ’s possible lyrics for GLOW? he wasn’t sure on those.

shame on me i suppose, but i haven’t actually tried to figure them out yet. i guess i haven’t had the time to put much thought to it. :wink:

manillascissor
      Keymaster

Originally posted by CaptJack:

——————————————————————————————————-

speak to me in a language i can hear (not sure about this part, but I have theories)
      humour me before i have to go (asking for people to listen to him while he is still around)
      deep in thought i forgive everyone (Jesus forgives, and in the garden of Gethsemane he prayed alone)
      as the cluttered streets greet me once again (Palm Sunday?)
      i know i can’t be late, supper’s waiting on the table (his deatj is prophesized andhe can’t change it, and refers to the last supper)
      tomorrow’s just an excuse away (he prays to God to \"take this cup from my hands\" and asks that he not be killed. All he needs as a man is to think up and excuse and not allow himself to be killed)
      so I pull my collar up and face the cold, on my own (the apostles were told to leave Jesus alone the night before by Jesus himself)
      the earth laughs beneath my heavy feet (Jesus was God and man, the only such \"heavy feet\" on the planet, which did his bidding: water to wine, stopping storms, raising the dead, and laughs in joy?)
      at the blasphemy in my old jangly walk (the religious leaders considered Jesus a blasphemer, and he died at 33, 3 years after he began his ministry. Jangly just means he was awkward and not cool. Jesus was a hippy compared to the elite after all)
      steeple guide me to my heart and home (reference to church and the sacred heart and heaven)
      the sun is out and up and down again (3 days and then rises from the dead)
      i know i’ll make it, love can last forever (giving hope. Love and light in these songs and U2 refer to God, as in Every Light I found is every light that’s shining from above.)
      graceful swans of never topple to the earth (swans mate for life)
      and you can make it last, forever you (Jesus grants eternal life)
      you can make it last, forever you
      and for a moment i lose myself
      wrapped up in the pleasures of the world
      i’ve journeyed here and there and back again (here and there and back again meaning the afterlife and rising from the dead?)
      but in the same old haunts i still find my friends (after Jesus died, his apostles hid in the upper room, fearing the authorities, When they heard rumors of him coming back they became more fearful, almost as if he would be a ghost when he came to them)
      mysteries not ready to reveal (Jesus/God would know more than all of us combined, and won’t reveal more until the end/new beginning)
      sympathies i’m ready to return (Jesus preached love for all, and helps those who believe in his death/resurrection)
      i’ll make the effort, love can last forever (By his efforts alone Jesus provided salvation, grants eternal life and heals all wounds, forgives all sins.)
      graceful swans of never topple to the earth
      tomorrow’s just an excuse
      and you can make it last, forever you
      you can make it last, forever you

blueczarina
      Spectator

interesting

Marcella
      Spectator

Whoa, I couldn’t possibly think of any religious meaning in that song before.

blueczarina
      Spectator

yeah, i never thought of anything religious with it before.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

yeah, totally about JC (not the chamberlain variety)

pretty obvious when you read CaptJack’s interpretation. Where are you Capt Jack?

Anonymous
      Spectator

I have, I told my son that SP is like a bible. OMG this is so weird
      Not in a bad idolize god way, but a truth and light way-helps me get through my days.
      I was going to post that SP is my bible one day a while back, but was too worried about how people’s reaction to that statement would be. It does sound a little odd when we have the holy grail BIBLE, The BOOK whatever the churches use, but for me I just listen to Billy’s words of wisdom as I call it…

Marcella
      Spectator

That interpretation actually does make a lot of sense. I wonder how many other religious mentions are hidden in SP songs?

ok, i just dl storytellers, and billy says he wrote 33 about wanting to be happy at home. after a bit i will relisten to it and type up what he said.

ok, wrote it down now i will type it.

\"the year was 1994 and i had just moved into a new house, what was going to be a purple victorian in chicago, and i was like, ok it’s time to write this record which was gonna be called mellon collie and the infinate sadness. and this is the first song that i wrote for that album. this song really embodies the sprit of that time. i had just gotten married, just moved into a new house and the band was achiving the kind of success that people only dream of, and i was really hopefull that i was someday, and like it was actually gonna happen, i would have a happy life. didn’t quite work out that way. but that’s not what i really want to emphasize on this song. hope is really the key componant in life, because one must have hope and faith to actually get out of bed and do anything in this world. and in my mind at that time, i was 27, i thought i had arrived. i suposedly had everything one would want, the wife, the cat, the house, the car, and the money, oh yeah, the fame. and i think what i’m really trying to say here is all i really wanted was a happy home. to sing this song now it doesn’t bother me, because i really went into those situations with the best intentions. then i found out they weren’t really for me, of course i changed those things. the other sort of component and people often ask why i called this song 33, actually i had hoped to write 3 songs, 33, 66, and 99, um i never wrote 66, and 99 so that’s for the internet, but um, the reason i was attracted to 33 at that particular time was i had a friend read my tarot cards and the person said when your 33, this is when i was 27, when you’re 33 your life is gonna completly change, so as i sit here today at 33 years old, my life is going to completley change at 33. so this song serves both as notice (?) prophecy and sort of a hope unhoped or unwished.\"

note– i wasn’t sure if he said notice or something else there.

blueczarina
      Spectator

that’s interesting bullet

Marcella
      Spectator

I was thinking…didn’t the 2000 band breakup took place when Billy was 33?

Anonymous
      Spectator

He’s a fucking genius :)

Viewing 23 reply threads

The forum ‘Philosophical Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.