Viewing 29 reply threads
  • Author

confuciousconfusing
      Keymaster

http://spin.com/articles/smashing-pumpk … -lp-format

This is just sad. I want to slap Jimmy across the face when reading this. And also for his overuse lately of the word, anachronistic.

————————————————————————————————————————————-

Smashing Pumpkins Return to Studio, Shun LP Format

\"The old business model is dead,\" says drummer Jimmy Chamberlin. \"I think what we’ll do is start releasing songs.\"

Smashing Pumpkins will return to the studio this spring to begin working on new material for a forthcoming release, but they’ll deliver them in a surprising way. \"Billy [Corgan] and I are going to start working every day like we used to,\" drummer Jimmy Chamberlain told Spinner.com (via the Daily Swarm). \"But I don’t think we will make records again… the old business model is dead. We want to keep things vital and keep things viable and get our music across while remaining relevant.\"

After the release of \"reunion\" LP Zeitgeist — which was mass marketed as a conventional disc via exclusive deals with the likes of Best Buy — Smashing Pumpkins’ contract with Reprise Records has expired, and now the label-less alt-rock kingpins are exploring other methods of distribution, but not the Radiohead method of releasing a full album online.

\"I think what we’ll do is start releasing songs,\" Chamberlin explains. \"The record or CD format places too many limitations on your piece of art… [we’ll] create the framework where we can release a number of songs and maybe create a title. We can gather three or four songs, but it will all flow up to a larger body of work. But to call it record in the traditional sense would be anachronistic.\"

Let’s see now. What else about the Smashing Pumpkins is anachronistic? Oh yeah! It’s the Smashing Pumpkins!

Marcella
      Spectator

I’m not going to lie, I despise this decision and believe it makes no sense. I hope they realize how important LP’s really are to music as they release their songs and see that they just don’t have the same effect.

Because, IMHO, it really isn’t the same to have four songs in your mp3 player mixed up that belong nowhere than having an album in your hands and grabbing your old discman to listen to it. Looking at the booklet, the artwork, the thank you notes. Or maybe just having it online but knowing that those songs were made to be together.

It’s not necessary for me to add that I love the music these guys make, but I do not think this will benefit them.

[/rant]

:cry:

boo, we knew it ws coming, but i still don’t like to hear it.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

[rant]As a collector, it really pisses me off too. But the points you make are really well stated. I think it works for BC/JC, which is fine. We should support that decision, and I do to a point. But I’m not happy about it, and right now, I feel it’s a huge mistake.

The one thing I can see is continued life and energy in the band (what’s next? what’s next?) But we’ve seen with Superchrist, G.L.O.W., and FOL already that interest is instant and quickly fades. Very very quickly. At least with an album, you get to examine the meaning and artwork, etc.

With singles, you go, oh I like that, play it 100 times, and that’s it. Or, that song sucks, no playing. What the fuck is the point?

[/rant temp]

blueczarina
      Spectator

fuck :? that sucks major ass. i’m really disappointed. i love their music and will take it however they release it, but i love having the CD. i like the whole package. i like the hour long experience encased inside a disc. i love the artwork. i love having something i can physically hold and treasure as part of my pumpkin collection.

i’m really sad and pissed. :( :( :(

and yeah- what does this mean for pumpkin collectors. sure there is old stuff to gather and i suppose the odd gig poster and whatever for the here and now, but this to me means that the only way to get a physical copy of something now will be to pay $200 on ebay for a rare as fuck radio promo if they even have those. i’m sad. :(

and i agree manilla- it is easier for the casual listening public to forget a single/ or 4 track digital EP or whatever than an album.

Yeah, I hate it to. It’s just no fun.

blueczarina
      Spectator

i know. it sucks. :(

i like the freedom of being able to have an ipod that i carry all my songs on and i like being able to download new stuff i’m not familiar with or a song or two i like off of something without buying the whole thing. that’s nice. but with the bands i love most i like having the real thing- a CD, a vinyl, etc. i put more value in that then a digital download. plus i respect the work those goes into making a full album that is great start to finish and comes in a beautiful package .

i’m still in a ranting mood on this one. :?

Danni
      Spectator

You still have to have in mind that the SP fans are one of the most lojal ones. So I think it’s a bit disrespectful to these fans to do a statement like this. Also I know that William was a bit upset for the bad sales of Zwan, T.F.E and Zeitgeist but hey, this ain’t the way to handle the problem. Believe me, after a couple of songs being released like they told, I think they WILL realize this ain’t the path to walk.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

the thing that gets me is that this isn’t some new idea. green jello was a band in the late 80s that was going to be the first video only band. what happened? the single three little pigs became so popular, they felt it necessary to release the \"soundtrack\" to accompany the video \"album\". this has been done before, with great success. that was 20 fucking years ago. this is not some groundbreaking new idea as a reaction to the current market. it’s a reaction to their albums are not selling like they used to. their time has come and gone.

but what if that success is not reached…no one will buy the fucking single. how many loyal fans are going to hold this band up? i, for one, don’t download shit, and probably never will, yet i’m one of their biggest fans. i wonder how many people downloaded the glow/superchrist digital 7\"? like 15? it’s just fucking retarded.

blueczarina
      Spectator

i wonder how many people downloaded the glow/superchrist digital 7"? like 15? it’s just fucking retarded.[/quote:f766faxs]

i did i will admit ^^ :wink: but i agree- this is not the way to go and no one will pay attention to singles the way they would an epic album and albums get more promotion anyway. plus in America at least i don’t think singles sell well or are even available as anything but an import for the most part anymore (at least with the other stuff i like anyway).

and it is disrespectful to loyal fans who most definitely are receptive to a new album- all of it, start to finish- not just a track or two. :?

Marcella
      Spectator

They say they want to get to new generations. Being a part of this generation, I can tell you that if a teenager is going to download a song, it’s going to be done illegally.

None of my friends, including me, buy their stuff at iTunes Store, and when we like a certain song we downloaded, some of us go and buy the album (or in the worst cases, also illegally download it :lol: ). That happens with any other band. But when it comes to bands I love, I don’t hesitate in buying the album when it comes out. I yearn to have something physical, to be able to brag about my collection.

I agree with Opiate in the part that they will soon realize this isn’t the right path.

blueczarina
      Spectator

i hope they see their mistake too. and i agree- most young people download digital stuff illegally.

amnesia
      Spectator

This is what i think.I think they will release EP´s like AG once a year. maybe 2, and if they will be any new singels they use Itunes, i hate Itunes, but that will not stop me supporting the SP, and i will buy songs from Itunes still.Im pretty sure they will not give up the CD format entirely, couple of EP will be released on CD…i might be naive, but this is what i think.

Anonymous
      Spectator

I get what everyone is saying because I feel the same way, but Billy seems to know what he is thinking here. I mean after time items become fazed out. for something newer. Land line telephone, cell phone
      black and white tv to color to hi-def to plasma-regular tv’s not being sold only digital and the list goes o.. vcrs to dvr’s. movies to bootlegs, wind up cars to gas cars to cars running on air in the future potentially and we all have seen the changes in products in the music industry ;)..Things change and as hard as it is we have to cope with it. The best part about all of this is… Smashing Pumpkins are still creating music. Times are changing, but the music plays on…
      and at midnight we get FOL…yeah!!!!!

Arthur
      Spectator

Reggea is making sense here… The appreciated release format of choice for music changed over the centuries from travelling troubadours to music boxes, radio, rudimentary wax rolls & wax vinyl, 78 vinyl , 45 vinyl, 33 vinyl, cassettes, cd, dvd, mp3, flac, blueray… and probably I’m forgetting a few formats also.

So I’m trying to accept that the times of the compact disc are probably over soon, after 30 years. Makes sense, history-wise. But collecting-wise I’m with manilla and others that say the same. I don’t really care about mp3, i want something in my hands. I want to walk to a shop, or find a little present in my mailbox. Why don’t they release a f&*king awesome cool digital player, all Smashing Pumpkins artwork on it, to be connected to your stereo, pc or tv, and then every few months we (those who subscribed I mean) get a Smashing Pumpkins sticky in the mailbox with 2, 3, 4 new songs on it? :roll:

I’m just very curious about what this new way of distributing music will be. We can’t really judge it unless we know what it is exactly. I mean, yeah, sure, this doesn’t sound very good, but who knows.

And I’m a little bit afraid that the format will be mp3.

jawn till dusk
      Spectator

Why don’t they release a f&*king awesome cool digital player, all Smashing Pumpkins artwork on it, to be connected to your stereo, pc or tv, and then every few months we (those who subscribed I mean) get a Smashing Pumpkins sticky in the mailbox with 2, 3, 4 new songs on it? :roll:[/quote:18wjib7u]

This sounds like the best idea to me! :D

blueczarina
      Spectator

i would buy it ^^ :D

Marcella
      Spectator

^ I think other bands have done the same thing before. Also, I’ve seen this little cards at Wal-Mart that allow you to get the artist’s album in the iTunes Store. But I’d rather get an mp3 like Arthur says than just a little card…or nothing at all.

some pumpkins
      Spectator

you guys all have some great comments on this. here’s my 2 cents. i wish they had taken superchrist and glow and struck a deal with target or best buy or walmart to have them be released on cd in limited quantities and available exclusively at one of the retailers mentioned above. i’de understand not wanting to mass release a cd single and have it be available at every retail store. its gonna hardly get any airplay, so the masses probably won’t realize a single has even been released. so they won’t sell. it would cost a lot of money to produce those cd’s and have them potentially just sit on the shelves. so, make the offical release quantity be low and available exclusively at one retailer and i tunes as well. as itunes is obviously gonna be their most profitable format cuz there is no artwork to print out or cd case to purchase. but fuck, i’de pay $6.99 for a glow single at target, just so i can have a physical release in my hand. there has to be more profit in that rather that charging 99 cents for the download. i know cd’s are a dying format and i know the pumpkins are not looking to make as much money as they can, they’re in it for themusic, but it would really help us people out who are still stuck in the 20th century.

blueczarina
      Spectator

but fuck, i’de pay $6.99 for a glow single at target, just so i can have a physical release in my hand. there has to be more profit in that rather that charging 99 cents for the download. i know cd’s are a dying format and i know the pumpkins are not looking to make as much money as they can, they’re in it for themusic, but it would really help us people out who are still stuck in the 20th century.[/quote:gp9sjyjy]

i agree ^^ i would buy this for sure and really i think most all of Billy’s real fans are stuck in the 20th century on this one. we all would buy the CD, vinyl, all of above, etc. if you look on any pumpkin forum there is a market for a physical release. casual fans can visit itunes and hardcore fans can snap up a limited physical release. i just wish he would do something besides all digital.

some pumpkins
      Spectator

but fuck, i’de pay $6.99 for a glow single at target, just so i can have a physical release in my hand. there has to be more profit in that rather that charging 99 cents for the download. i know cd’s are a dying format and i know the pumpkins are not looking to make as much money as they can, they’re in it for themusic, but it would really help us people out who are still stuck in the 20th century.[/quote:1x73j2oe]

i agree ^^ i would buy this for sure and really i think most all of Billy’s real fans are stuck in the 20th century on this one. we all would buy the CD, vinyl, all of above, etc. if you look on any pumpkin forum there is a market for a physical release. casual fans can visit itunes and hardcore fans can snap up a limited physical release. i just wish he would do something besides all digital.[/quote:1x73j2oe]

i just had an idea. fuck the retailers! why should they get a cut? have the cd single be available for purchase only through sp.com and what they could do is do a pressing once a month for orders taken from the previous month. that way they wont have the risk or having them pressed and just sitting on the store shelves. make it a made to order thing. with a 30 day lead time. i’de wait and pay the shipping. making it attainable but still rare. the best of both worlds. they coukld also do this with all those acoustic songs written at the residency shows. peace and love, mama etc. release a live ep from the website. as far as the songs that are even newer than that, owata, song for a son, as rome burns, you could either sit on them, and eventually record studio versions and release a studio ep at some future date. like ameerican gothic. or just put out another live ep. and release it in the same way. i know there is something magical about only being able to hear a particular song live. but putting them out in this format , through the website, would sell.

blueczarina
      Spectator

good one ^^ yeah, why not just sell them to the people that care on SP.com. they would probably sell out there. :wink: that would equal money for the band and CDs for the fans- everybody wins.

Im a Cult Hero
      Spectator

:(
      I guess we knew something was going to change, but I had been hoping they’d follow the NIN route, releasing albums online first (wether for free or not is up to them) and then a limited physical release a few weeks later, I felt that was the best way to move forward anyway.

Anonymous
      Spectator

WTF some Pumpkins? I suggested that days ago on a blog but not in those exact thoughts of yours, but pretty much and I posted it over at Sp.com..LOL
      creeeepy..freakkky and weird we had the same thought…
      8)

blueczarina
      Spectator

WTF some Pumpkins? I suggested that days ago on a blog but not in those exact thoughts of yours, but pretty much and I posted it over at Sp.com..LOL
      8)[/quote:37xkoy6o]

spfreaks think alike? :wink:

Anonymous
      Spectator

I guess so :D so 8) to be a freak

Sven
      Spectator

as much as i feel your emotions-
      as much as i bear with the non-release or non-album stance with respect to the collector (including me that is) and what this might mean in the (near) future-
      as much as i agree with BC and JC and thus The Smashing Pumpkins on their stance-

people PLEASE—–!!!!

TSP has released a song through a game-
      TSP had released a song with and ad (which you can now download)-
      The American Gothic EP was more or less done indie on their somewhat own behalf-
      The 2DVD set was more or less done indie on their somewhat own behalf-

PLUS—
      TSP has said:
      – the album format is DEAD (and it IS for the major part, go figure and be real from the creational part of things!!!!)
      – nonetheless TSP WILL create no matter what!!!!

SO—
      Just chill the fuck out and wait and see-
      If it’s a NIN-kinda thing-
      Or a Radiohead-kinda thing-
      Or several EPs coming up on cd or not-
      Or several EPs bundled into an \"album\"-
      Or somehow oldies and goodies no more, but still more and more creation to come in formats we might not have thought of-
      MP3, USB-sticks, Flash-cards, EP-cds, vinyls, very limited edition physical release with the intention of online spreading, band-promoted torrents, whatever-

BECAUSE-
      Apart from the bitching and moaning about the formats-
      Please celebrate the fact TSP is STILL active, NOW active and CREATIONAL now; CREATING now!
      Whatever the format of release—-
      TSP is out there, getting out there, putting out there NOW!
      Not what was and rehashing, but putting out there NOW what’s NOW; current and thus creation in and of and from NOW!

THAT’s the only reasion BC and JC with others are busy now creating as The Smashing Pumpkins-
      It’s not and never was and never will be again about the format-
      For now and from now on and now once and for ever stated clearly by BC and JC and thus by The Smashing Pumpkins:
      The Smashing Pumpkins are about creation!- here and now!
      Trust The Smashing Pumpkins this creation will reach your ears (or eyes, or whatever suits their creational format)—-

Expect the unexpected and above all- unexpect the expected-

some pumpkins
      Spectator

8)[/quote:305gjfi1]

trippy. sven summed it all up perfectly.

Anonymous
      Spectator

agreed again Sven! What matters most to me is that they ARE creating and they are relevant!!! Life is good with the sounds of SP.

Viewing 29 reply threads

The forum ‘General’ is closed to new topics and replies.