Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author

blueczarina
      Spectator

Originally posted here:

http://forum.spfreaks.com/viewtopic.php?t=1153

===

My Bootie collection’s currently around 70% of this listing (give or take):

http://www.spfc.org/songs-releases/boot.html?b … lay=-1|0||

I started seeding the ‘acceptable’ ones around two years ago (by request and invitation) and have pretty much finished my ‘work’ on that now… It’s been quite the awesome adventure and a fair chunk can be seen here: http://ognetty.com/spboots.htm

Here’s the thing: If I ripped all to computer sometime, do I need them any more? Bad wording, ‘should’ they be kept any longer?

By buying a lot of them from a friend (to help him out), ‘liberating’ and sharing, are they really worth anything now?

Aside from seeing them on this site complete (Arthur would be happy and I’d see to it somehow!), what then?

If I sold them on, aren’t I as bad as the original manufacturers? Giving them away would mean I lose £100s.

Who could be trusted to dispose of them all in my absence?

I’m hoping Quinto’s work unearths great treats, I’m sure it will.

Obviously, I love what I’d collected over the years and they mean much to me, although I’d say most SP fans out there don’t really like their nature. Neither do I, never did.

I’d love to hear straight opinions on the original question: What would -you- do?

Apparently, Billy Corgan himself was seen buying a bootleg disc some years ago. Could be a billion reason/s, interesting to hear, in any case… No, I can’t remember the details.

During my illness last year (been finally given the all-clear now!), a Will had been written and it took me most time to decide where my SP items went – you wouldn’t have believed me if I told ya anyway.

I might also post this on smashingpumpkins.com and Zomb Torrents in future, I’ve always said, \"What’s mine is ours.\"

Opinions would be really useful to me, many thanks, fellow Rawkers.

– Salutes.

\\m/

Im a Cult Hero
      Spectator

Wow, that’s quite the collection!
      I know they’re \"just\" bootlegs, but weird as it may sound I have some sentimental connection to some, eg. bootlegs of the gig’s I was at, and \"Kick start ’96\" the first bootleg I ever bought, so even though they are \"just\" bootlegs, it must still be a tough decision.

Realistically though if you do have them all ripped to your pc (and perhaps any artwork scanned?), I guess there really isn’t much of a reason to hang on to them.
      If you are getting rid of them I think you should sell them, you deserve compensation for your work and for the money you spent on them, but I guess ultimately that call is up to you :)

Anonymous
      Spectator

Thank you, sounds like we have similar ways to look at it. :) 8)

i would say rip them to the computer, then sell them, you paid for them, if someone wants to buy them sell them for what you bought them for, i think that is totally fair. or rip them and then keep them for hard copies, and a bitchin collection. cause that is what everyone wants, a bitichin collection.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

yeah, unless you need money, what’s wrong with a bunch of booties laying around?

and if you do need the money, sell them. you could hook up the next dazey who wants what you have, you know?

ethically, i see nothing wrong with it.

Anonymous
      Spectator

Cheers muchly, Sunshines, also to Cake in the other thread. :wink:

Anonymous
      Spectator

i’d say keep them..you’ve invested, put them in storage (easily accessible) They could be saved for an SP museum or something in the year 2025?? :lol:

i’d say keep em too, they are not something that you can replace easily. but that’s just me, i have a little bit of pack-rat tendencies :P

Arthur
      Spectator

Repost… :lol:

I think I bought my first SP boots some 10-11 years ago, it was in Amsterdam on the flea market. I bought a few in one grab, and if I remember well, The Singles + More and Pluggelectric were between them. The first one for that all black jewelcase (I thought it was rare) and it contains songs I never had heard of before. Pluggelectric obviously for the Dutch concerts in 1993 (VPRO Radio & Lowlands Paradise Festival). I still remember how excited I was to get a hold of these rarities, never seen before in shops or fairs! Played them like crazy of course, especially the live boot.

From the boots I learned that live songs are way more cooler then always the same studio version on the album. Also you could find songs on boots that were not even on any album! So, for a few years, I bought more boots. I have now a little collection of 40-45 Smashing Pumpkins bootlegs, amongst them EightyNine, The Greatest Day, Sound Of Turnips, From The Vault, Berlin Bullet, Slapheads Revenge, Machina Acoustic Demos, Sacred And Profane Tour Soundboard Compilation, Knock On Wood, Freedom, Rawk, Thank You For Participating, Daydream Kisses, SP & Moon Demo Tapes, Vast Oceans, Mellon Collie At The Max, Disconnect, Pumpkinland Demo Rough Mix (nov. 1994) and Adoration. There might be a few between them that are not on SPfreaks.com yet.

I’m not into collecting those bootlegs anymore. Only a while back, when I found that unknown recording of teh concert @ Paard, Den Haag, January 1992, of course I had no doubts buying another boot! But in general, it feels better to focus on the genuine releases. And I have collected most shows in MP3 now. But the bootlegs I have now, I still cherish! As they contain recordings in (most of the times) very good quality, and they stand for a period in my life, when I enjoyed listening to and discovering the early history of the Smashing Pumpkins, and how awesome the Pumpkins are when they play live!

(np: Pluggelectric. Shivers on my spine again…!)

blueczarina
      Spectator

i have Pluggelectric, but i haven’t listened to it in awhile. i think i might check it out again later. :wink:

Arthur
      Spectator

i have Pluggelectric, but i haven’t listened to it in awhile. i think i might check it out again later. :wink:[/quote:r8skzmt3]
      Please do. Rare Dutch recordings all over, and lots of acoustic stuffs! 8)

blueczarina
      Spectator

i will check it out this weekend. :)

Viewing 11 reply threads

The forum ‘Miscellaneous Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.